|Body Type||Factory Price||Shipping
|Town Car||## $960||-----||315|
|AboveThe 1911 Fords: Touring, Runabout, Town Car, Open Runabout, Coupe, and Torpedo Runabout|
Note: 1200 pounds was the figure given for the Touring car with others in proportion. The bare chassis weighed about 900 pounds.
|#||Prices effective October 1, 1910. Open cars supplied with gas lamps, horn, windshield and top as standard but could be had without this equipment (as in 1910) for $80 less, early in 1911. By about April 1911 the open cars were sold fully equipped only.|
|##||Prices for cars without headlamps! In the January 1911 issue of Ford Times, the Town Cars were shown fully equipped at $1200, and the Coupe fully equipped at $1050.|
|###||Ford News, Nov. 1, 1920, gives a figure of 24,528.|
|*||Fiscal year, October 1, 1910 to September 30, 1911.|
|**||Chassis not shown in catalogs.|
|***||Runabouts not broken down by types in production figures.|
ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS: 34,902 to 88,900 approx. calendar year. 31,500 to 70,750 approx. fiscal year (October1, 1910 to September 30, 1911).
MODEL YEAR DATES: November 1910 through December 1911 approx.
MAJOR MODEL YEAR FEATURES: (See component listings for details.)
BODY TYPES: Touring, Runabout, Torpedo Runabout, Open Runabout, Town Car. Note: The Tourabout, Coupe and Landaulet were 1910 models built in late 1910 but a part of Fiscal 1911 production figures. Bodies supplied by several manufacturers. Metal panels over wood frame. Newly styled Touring cars with more integrated appearance. Torpedo and Open Runabouts all new with different fenders, running boards, hood, etc. Landaulet is listed in catalog but none were built.
COLORS: All cars were painted a very dark, all-but-black, blue. Black is reported as an available
color but Ford records do not indicate black as a standard color. A few Red Open Runabouts and green
Town Cars were built in April 1911. It is possible that there were green early 1911 models; the
date of the body change is unknown but both blue and green cars were built
in later 1910 (after the 1910 fiscal year ended).
Fenders and aprons were painted body color, although either blue or black, might have been used, based on surviving samples. Records indicate only blue, however.
Striping of fenders and running gear began to be phased out about July on many cars.
UPHOLSTERY: Full leather in the open cars, in a diamond tufted pattern. Closed cars were also leather, with imitation leather trim on the door panels. The front seats in the Town Car were leather.
FENDERS: Front: Redesigned with top section that flared inward and the splash apron area was now a triangular insert. No embossed bead on the apron, or across the wide part of the front fender. All had a front bill. Rear: Similar in style to the front. Support irons were now attached to the body framing, extending out the side of the body, through a hole in the apron of the fender, and were clamped to a single plate under the fender.
SPLASH APRON: Longer than the 1909-10 style, with bulge at the rear to clear the brake and radius rods.
RUNNING BOARDS: Pressed steel with embossed diamond pattern. The Ford script ran parallel to the board, with no Made in USA.
HOOD: Aluminum, with no louvers. Hinges were separate from the panels, and were riveted in place. Hold-down clamps had one ear and were of forged steel. The steel hood former no longer had the notch on either side.
DASHBOARD (Firewall): Wood, with brass edge trim that now overlapped the wood. Added extension piece of wood used between the windshield and the top of the dashboard.
CHASSIS: Rear body support now was a separate forging bolted to the rear of the frame. Painted body color or black, depending on who you believe (no available records indicate the color but black is the preferred choice).
STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY: Brass quadrant, brass-plated spark and throttle levers, with hard rubber knobs. Gear case was brass, riveted assembly. Wheel was 15 outside diameter, wood, and painted black. The wheel spider was bronze, painted black. Column was now 56 long on the standard cars, but 60 on the Torpedo and Open Runabouts, and 51 on the Town Cars.
FRONT AXLE: One piece spindles. Tie rod ran above the radius rod, had integral yoke/ball fitting on right end, and adjustable yoke, with the locking bolt in a horizontal plane (parallel to the road). Drag link threaded 20 t.p.i. at the column end. No oilers on most fittings. Radius rod fastened to the engine cap screws. Early in 1911 the two-piece spindles appeared, with a new front axle. The steering tie rod now ran below the radius rods. The drag link now had 13 t.p.i. threads. The new axle had brass oilers at all connections. During the year the right-hand spindle arm was modified and now had a hole for the speedometer gear bracket.
REAR AXLE: Six-rivet style, like that used in later 1910. Reinforcing rings around the center flanges gave this last type a thicker flange area. Non-tapered axles were discontinued in favor of the tapered type early in the year. In July 1911, the 1912 rear axle began to replace the older style. This 12-rivet housing had a cast center section and is commonly called the clamshell rear axle.
DRIVESHAFT HOUSING: Pinion bearing spool was a casting and was held by studs and nuts, the studs being enclosed (not visible) in the housing. Separate front housing for universal joint assembly.
REAR RADIUS AND BRAKE RODS: Had forged ends. Brake-rod support brackets now folded down along the side of the clamp, then out and wrapped up and around the brake rods.
WHEELS: Used 30 by 3 tires in front; 30 by 3-1/2 in the rear. Original tires were an off-white color, with no tread. Hub flanges were now 6 inches in diameter, for either the tapered or non-tapered axles. Front wheels used ball bearings. Hub caps had Ford in script letters but no Made in USA. Spokes were somewhat thicker than those of the earlier cars. The rear hub used with the tapered axles was shorter and looked nothing like the front hubs.
SPRINGS: Tapered-leaf, front and rear. Mae West style shackles.
RADIATOR: Supplied by Ford with the standard Ford script, but no Made in USA. The brass Ford on the radiator core was discontinued. Cast filler neck was higher than 1909-1910 type.
ENGINE: Open-valve type. Early in the year the block was redesigned to have enclosed valve chambers. The crankshaft main bearings now had babbitt in the block casting.
ENGINE PAN: One-piece type (no inspection door), but wider than the previous types, necessary to accommodate a new, larger magneto. Early in the year (late March) a new pan was introduced which now had a three dip inspection door.
OIL FILLER CAP: The same as 1910. The mushroom-shaped cap, of brass, with six flutes and the Ford script appeared on all models late in the year.
ENGINE CRANK: Rubber handle was discontinued, and now had an aluminum formed handle, painted black.
FAN: Driven by a leather belt from a pulley at the front of the engine. The fan hub was brass (bronze), with the blades riveted in place. The fan blades were not as deeply embossed as the 1909-10 type. Adjustment (belt tension) was by means of a spring between the fan arm and the engine front plate. Later the spring was replaced with a screw and nut in the same location, allowing a fixed adjustment.
MANIFOLDS: Exhaust was cast iron; pipe fitted inside the threaded end and was packed with asbestos and held with a brass nut. Intake was still aluminum but the dog legged style was dropped in favor of a straighter (typical) design.
CARBURETORS: Kingston five ball, or Holley. All used a choke and a heating arrangement at the air intake.
CARBURETOR STOVE ASSEMBLY: Generally a tube which ran upwards to the front of the exhaust manifold, and connected to a cast stove fitting against the manifold.
MUFFLER: Cast iron ends, mounted with pressed metal brackets. Longer, curved rear exhaust pipe extension integral with the rear cover plate. Wrapped with asbestos, secured with three steel straps. The asbestos wrap was specified to be dyed black.
FUEL TANK: Cylindrical, under the front seat. Mounting brackets were riveted to the tank. Outlet was at the center, right above the drive shaft, and screwed into place.TRANSMISSION: Three pedal standard-design. The brake lever now operated the clutch as well as the rear brakes. Pedals were marked with C, R, and B. Transmission cover was cast aluminum, and wider than the 1910 cover. The inspection door was held with four screws. Later, (after January 4) a new aluminum cover appeared which used the tapered inspection door, held with six screws. The door on this new cover was embossed with the Ford script.
COIL BOX ASSEMBLY: Kingston, Jacobson-Brandow, or Heinze.
LAMPS: All lamps were now standard except on the closed cars. Made by Edmond and Jones (E&J) or Brown.
HORN: Bulb type, double twist, all brass. The horn was standard equipment on all cars.
WINDSHIELD: Standard equipment, was either Rands, Mezger (Automatic), or Vanguard. Generally steel with brass plating.
TOP: (Open cars). Top color was black on all open cars. Oval top sockets now attached to body brackets instead of the forged railing used in 1909 and 1910. Sockets were no longer curved at the bottom. Front support was by means of straps that ran forward to a bracket near the headlights.
SPEEDOMETER: Stewart Model 26.