It seems that there is a story in even the simplest, most common Model T part. For instance, take ignition switch keys. A key is a key, right? Just make sure you have the right number. Well, maybe its not so simple.
From the time that the Ford Motor Company began using coils and coil box assemblies of the K.W. Ignition Ford Motor Company design, the Company began to have a say in the design of the switch keys. The first switch key was adopted for production on April 12, 1913 and was given the factory number T-5815. This key was actually an assembly of three parts: T-5816, T-5817 and T-5823. The handle portion of the key was brass plated. Keys were supplied by both the Clum Manufacturing Co. and the K.W. Ignition Co.
The first real change in this key came on December 19, 1916. The finish on the key was changed from brass plate to Raven Finish. Raven Finish was a rust proofing process that was developed by the Ford Motor Company that was very similar to Parkerizing. It left a black, phosphate coating on the surface of the steel that tended to resist rusting.
On May 8, 1917, the key was redesigned. Instead of an assembly of three pieces, the key was made from a single flat piece of cold-rolled steel. The name of the key was changed as well. Instead of Switch Lever Assembly, this part became known as simply the Switch Key This design was modified slighTLy on June 19, 1919 by changing the inside corners of the L shaped plugs to have a 3/64 radius instead of a square corner to strengthen the dies which made the key.
This key's factory number was changed to T-5815-A on February 13, 1919 to distinguish it from the key used on cars equipped with starters. It remained a part of standard equipment until the use of the switch mounted on the coil box of non-started equipped cars ended about August 9, 1922. Thereafter, this switch key was given the designation T-5815-AR, the R indicating that the part was to be used for repairs only. (Releases for T-5815-AR)
The second type of key is distinguishable by the round shape of the head of the key. It was a short lived design supplied by the Clum Manufacturing Company. The tumbler notches appear on one edge of the key only. According to factory records, it was used on the first 15,000 cars built with electric starters in 1919. These cars were primarily sedans and coupes and had the ignition switch and ammeter mounted on the instrument panel. Keys were purchased by Ford in series numbers ranging from 1 to 32. Cars equipped with starters came with two of these keys, as opposed to the non-starter cars which came with only one T-5815-A. The Ford engineering records refer to this key as T-5815-BR and it was given the name Ignition Switch Key to help distinguish it from the earlier type. (Releases for T-5815-BR) The final and most common key is characterized by a head that is diamond shaped. While it was adopted on Feb. 21, 1919, the records suggest that this key was not used until after April 23. This key was number T-5815-C. These keys were made out of nickel silver and the heads were pin frosted on both sides. A smooth 1/8 by 3/8 surface was provided on the back side of the key for the serial number of the key. These numbers ran from 51 to 74 inclusive. The front face bore the word Ford in script.
These keys were made by a number of different vendors. On
December 19, 1919 Ford specified that the maker's trademark be placed under the
script Ford on the face of the key. Keys were supplied by five
vendors. These vendors and their trademarks are:
Clum Manufacturing Co.
Briggs and Stratton Co.
King Lock Co.
Cabkey Dupree Co (keys have also been observed with Cabkey Dupree spelled out on the key.
Culver Stearns Co.
Cost cutting caused a change in these keys on Jan 16, 1920. The pin frosting was eliminated and the front and rear faces of the diamond head became smooth except for the borders, script word Ford, trademark, and serial number boss.
The final change to the key came on January 30, 1926 when the material the keys were made from was changed from nickel silver to S brass. (Releases for T-5815-C)
|The Brown 75 and 78 were similar. The 78 had a round clear lens on the side while the 75 had a rectangular clear lens on the side. The 78 is shown at the left.|
No picture available but similar to the Brown 100 except for the black and brass design
|The E & J 666, 66, and 656 were alike. The model 66 had the 66 off-center. It was the 666 with the final 6 left out.||The Victor and the Corcoran were almost identical.|
|Lamps were the same as 1913 except for the side lamps with integral mounting brackets as in the Brown.|
|During later production side lamps were provided with integral mounting brackets, eliminating the need for the separate brackets used previously.|
|(All lamps appeared alike, regardless of make. Early production 1915 lamps varied; made by E & J, they had larger brass rims and lenses (8-5/8 vs 8-1/8) than later standard style lamps. Lamps were supplied by E & J, Brown, Victor and, perhaps others. Headlamp lenses were clear glass until 1921.) Steel headlight rims specified in a letter dated June 19, 1915.|
|During the latter part of 1914 and perhaps early 1915, headlamps were fork-mounted, on the same forks as used by the carbide lamps. Early in 1915 the lamp with the riveted-in-place post became the standard. All were electric, powered by the magneto with the bulbs wired in series. Brass rims discontinued about June 1915.|
|Interchangeable from side to side. Clear lens. Mounted from rear by means of an integral stud.|
|Similar in style to the side lamps, the large lens in the door was red,
with a small clear lens on the side facing the license plate. Mounted from the rear.
Side and tail lights were kerosene.|
Head, Side, and Tail lights were now all painted black but continued the style of 1 915.
|Identical to the later 1915 lamps except for the elimination of the brass
trimming. Painted all black.|
|In late 1917 a dimmer was added to the light switch on the magneto-powered
lamps. The lamps appeared the same as the 1916 style except for the use of bulbs with
two contacts (6-8 volt, 16 C.P.) instead of the older single contact type (8-9 volts,
|Same appearance as the 1918 lamps but now provided with sockets for two 6-8 volt lamps on those cars supplied with electrical equipment. The main bulb was 6-8 volt, 16 C.P. and the dim bulb located in the upper part of the reflector was 2-1/4 C.P. (the same bulb used in the tail light). Magneto lamps were dimmed with a resistor or inductance and were the same as the 1918 type.|
|Oil lamps the same as earlier but used only on non-electric cars. Starter cars had no side lamps.|
|Electric lamp was small round type with large red lens and clear lens on the side to illuminate the license plate. Used 2-1/4 C.P. single-contact bulb. Non-electric cars used the oil tail lamp used earlier.|
|The 6511DX used a frosted Tu-Lite bulb with a clear lens. Early in 1921 the 6511DX clear lens was replaced with the 6511EX which had green visor and used a clear Tu-Lite bulb. The Tu-Lite bulb was 6-8 volt, 18 and 2-3/4 C.P. About June 1921 the 6511HX with the Ford H fluted lens became standard, and continued through 1925 in the passenger cars. The 6511KX used in non-starter cars used a double contact 6-8 volt, 21 C.P. bulb. The dimming inductance is mounted behind the area where the ammeter would have been.|
The same as 1 920
|Same as 1923. Nickel-plated lens rims available as an option in late 1925 (before the 1926 models).|
Same as 1923.
8786CX (Electric in 1924 and later),
6568X (Oil) in early 1923
6568BX (Oil) about mid-1923 and later.
During 1926 production a bar was added between the front fenders, mainly to support the front license plate. Note that the headlamps are not mounted on it, and the variations in design of this bar.
|The 6501/6502 types were similar in shape to the 1925, but now mounted on posts that in turn mounted on the fender. The right and left lamps differed mainly in the positioning of the lens, and could be interchanged. Later 1926 production lamps (6511 M, N) were mounted on the fender to fender tie rod. Standard lamps were all black but nickel-plated rims were optional. Nickel became standard during the year.|
Oil lamps an option on non-starter cars in early 1926 only (those built in 1925) and were the same as the earlier lamps.
Same as the 1925 styles. A stop light combination became an option by March 1926. Oil tail lamp used only on non-starter cars and was the same as the 1925 type.
|All lamps were the same as later 1926. All had nickel rims. No oil lamps were used.|
(First 17,500 cars)
3260 Magneto Contact Assembly)
Copyright 2002 Fun Projects, Inc. Edited and printed by permission.
The very first Magneto Contact Assembly used on the very early Ts was not the usual "Brass" post that is normally found on the 1909-1917 cars. This very first assembly while similar in concept had a short housing that was only 7/8" tall and made entirely of hard fiber. It had a short small-diameter spring inside that rested on top of the magneto primary contact of the magneto coil ring. There was no slug in the end of the spring. This very first design was drawn on September 21, 1908 but was soon replaced on November 25, 1908 with the more familiar "Brass" style.
This first "Brass" design featured a rather thin natural hard fiber ring (see Fig. 1) and the internal special tapered spring (made from phosphor bronze) was designed to fit tightly up in the brass sleeve while the other end simply sat on the primary magneto contact as did the earliest design. The internal brass sleeve was crimped in two places at the bottom in a groove placed there for that purpose. The assembly was held in place with three 10-32 x 3/8" Fillister-head machine screws.
No lock washers were used. A brass thumb nut with a
diamond knurl pattern was used to fasten the magneto wire and a small
3/8" OD lock washer was used there.
December 18, 1912 the material used for
the slug in the end of the spring was changed from brass to steel. This
change was a bad idea since the dissimilar metals (bronze and steel) being
in contact would result in galvanic corrosion due to electrolysis. The
design was changed again before this problem probably came to light. A
note on the print at this time said that for hard gray natural fiber
material a vendor could use scrap from the commutator fiber block (which
was not typically made from hard fiber but from a phenolic (paper based)
Cast-iron end plates. Mounted with sheet metal brackets. Straight, longer tail pipe. Asbestos wrapping secured with three iron bands. The two ends were retained with three long rods threaded at both ends.
|Part #||Factory #||Description|
|4026||1202B||Steel mounting brackets|
|4026B||1202C||Integral mounting bracket. Cast bracket is long thin casting 1914-1917. 1917-20 has a short, stubby casting.|
|4026C||1202D||Pressed steel, no mounting bracket.|
|-----||1201||Separate tail pipe, F/N 1213|
|4040||1221||Steel brackets, straight pipe.|
|4040||1221||Steel brackets, curved pipe|
|4040||1221B||Integral bracket, straight pipe with no taper.|
|4040B||1201D||Integral bracket, no pipe. Shorter mounting bracket.|
|In June 1919 the exhaust opening was moved ten degrees to direct exhaust away from the spare tire.|
|4040C||1201E||Pressed steel, no pipe. Integral mounting bracket was on the rear cap only.|
|4027||1203||5 x 12|
|4028||1204||(3-1/2 x 13)|
|4029||1205||2 x 14|
|4030||1206||5/16 x 13-3/8|
|4037||1214||Non-flared, engine to muffler|
|4037B||1214||Flared at end to fit manifold|
|4037C||1214B||For pressed steel muffler. Longer and punched for muffler retaining cross piece at rear.|
|4038||1215||1/32 x 12-1/4 x 31-3/4|
|4039||1216||1/32 x 3/4 x 18 steel. These were the same bands that were used for heating ducts in buildings. They had a loop at one end through which the other end was threaded, then folded over.|
|Factory #||Date||Part Name||Notes|
|T-1201-A||02-12-08||Head (Exp.)||Adopted for first 2500.|
|T-1202-A||02-14-08||Head (front)||Adopted for first 2500.|
|T-1213-A||02-14-08||Pipe||Adopted for first 2500.|
|T-1200-A||03-06-08||Muffler Assy.||Adopted for first 2500. Obsolete on 3-21-13.|
|T-1215||10-29-08||Asbestos||Adopted. (1/32 thick)|
|T-1201-B||12-08-08||Head (rear)||Adopted. Obsolete on 11-21-13.|
|T-1222||04-16-09||Asbestos||Adopted for use on T1200B.|
|T-1200-B||09/14/09||Muffler Assy.||Change in Muffler bracket. Exhaust T-1217 & Intake T-1218|
|T-1213-B||10-06-10||Muffler Pipe||Changed and redesigned to be tapered and curved.|
|T-1213-B||01-23-11||Pipe||Changed angle of pipe from 36 degrees to 18 degrees.|
|T-1202-B||06-09-11||Head (front)||Changed from malleable iron to pressed steel.|
|T-1206-A||06-29-11||Rod||Removed threads from one end and added 1/2 hex head.|
|T-1202-B||08-04-11||Head (front)||Changed from pressed steel to Malleable Iron.|
|T-1202-B||09-25-12||Head (front)||Change bolt circle radius from 2-1/4 to 2-3/16.|
|T-1215||10-11-12||Asbestos||Specified to be dyed black|
|T-1203||10-29-12||Shell (outer)||Changed material from sheet steel to black sheet steel.|
|T-1201-C||02-24-13||Head (rear)||Added bracket for attaching muffler heads to the frame.|
|T-1203||03-04-13||Shell (outer)||Specified shell to be spot welded together in six places instead of riveted.|
|T-1203||07-25-13||Shell (outer)||Specified shell to be spot welded together in five places instead of six.|
|T-1215||08-28-13||Asbestos||Removed note specifying this asbestos to be dyed black.|
|T-1213-B||11-08-13||Pipe||Specified pipe to be straight instead of bent.|
|T-1201-C||03-03-14||Head (rear)||Specified the bracket for holding muffler head to frame be stright instead of curved for ease in assembly|
|T-1202-B||04-03-14||Head (front)||Specified bracket holding head to frame to be straight instead of curved.|
|T-1201-C||12-21-15||Head (rear)||Added V-shaped locking boss to prevent muffler rod from turning around while assembling.|
|T-1201-C||09-25-16||Head (rear)||Changed bolt circle radius from 2-1/4 to 2-3/16.|
|T-1202-B||12-09-16||Head (front)||Changed material from malleable iron to cast iron.|
|T-1201-C||12-09-16||Head (rear)||Redesigned, changing material from malleable iron to cast iron.|
|T-1215||12-18-16||Asbestos||Obsolete. Asbestos on hand to be placed in stock and used where it can be used to the best advantage.|
|T-1206-B||04-06-17||Rod||New design for single-bolt muffler.|
|T-1201-C||04/06/17||Head (rear)||Experimental manufacture. To be run at rate of 100 per day. Parts to be held together with one bolt instead of three.|
|T-1201-D||04-16-17||Head (rear)||Exp. manufacture design|
|T-1202-C||04-16-17||Head (front)||Experimental manufacture. Used one bolt instead of three.|
|T-1202-B||09-28-17||Head (front)||Specified for repairs only.|
|T-1201-C||09-28-17||Head (rear)||Added note for repairs only|
|T-1202-C||09-28-17||Head (front)||Adopted for regular production.|
|T-1213-B||09-28-17||Pipe||Specified to be used for repairs only.|
|T-1201-D||09-28-17||Head (rear)||Adopted for regular production.|
|T-1202-C||03-19-19||Head (front)||Specified name Ford in script to be cast in.|
|T-1201-C||03-19-19||Head (rear)||Specified Ford script to be incorporated in part.|
|T-1201-D||03-19-19||Head (rear)||Specified Ford script to be incorporated in part.|
|T-1206-B||04-29-19||Muffler Rod||Changed head from hex to 5/16 wide by 11/16 long|
|T-1201-D||06-07-19||Head (rear)||Redesigned outlet to deflect exhaust away from spare tire carrier.|
|T-1203||12-16-19||Shell (outer)||Specified shell to be spot welded together in ten places.|
|T-1201-D||01-08-20||Head (rear)||Redesigned reinforcing rib which supports foot making it heavier.|
|T-1206-A||02-05-20||Rod||Changed head from hex to 5/16 wide by 11/16 long.|
|T-1202-D||04-23-20||Head (front)||New Pressed steel design. To be run at rate of 500 per day.|
|T-1200-C||04-23-20||Muffler Assy.||New number, new design (Pressed steel ends)|
|T-1200-C||08-13-20||Muffler Assy.||Ends to be made out of two thicknesses of fender scrap instead of one thickness of stock.|
|T-1201-E||09-23-20||Head (rear)||New pressed steel design. For experimental manufacture.|
|T-1206-B||10-11-20||Rod||Specified for repairs only.|
|T-1202-D||10-11-20||Head (front)||Adopted for regular production.|
|T-1200-C||10-11-20||Muffler Assy.||Adopted for regular production|
|T-1200-B||10-11-20||Muffler Assy.||Use for repairs only.|
|T-1202-C||10-11-20||Head (front)||Specified for repairs only.|
|T-1201-D||10-11-20||Head (rear)||For repairs only. Replaced by pressed steel design.|
|T-1201-E||10-11-20||Head (rear)||Adopted for regular production.|
|T-1201-E||11-19-20||Head (rear)||Changed opening for exhaust head|
|T-1200-D||01-08-24||Muffler Assy.||Adopted, new number, new design.|
|T-1200-C||01-08-24||Muffler Assy.||Suffix R added to symbol # as same will not be used with hot air stove.|
|T-1200-C||11-28-24||Muffler Assy.||Removed R from symbol number and specified for use in 1924.|
|T-1203||03-26-25||Shell (outer)||Specified shell to be spot welded together in four places instead of five.|
|T-1200-C||05-05-25||Muffler Assy.||Specified bracket to be integral and upper flange to be spot welded in four places to keep metal from shifting when forming.|
|Note: There was another change in the muffler rear head. The drawings dated 5-16-26 for the muffler assembly show a different exhaust head. The outlet hole has been moved 180 degrees and is located at 4 o'clock instead of 11 o'clock and instead of an oval hole, the metal is pierced on three sides and a hinge is left causing the remaining flap to serve to deflect the exhaust.|
|11-20-07||T218 screw-in brass oiler adopted.|
|07-11-11||T283 steering spindle connecting rod oiler, two required|
|11-19-12||Design changed from Bowen 4-N to Zerk oilers.|
|03-07-13||Changed back to Bowen 4-N design.|
|01-08-14||Drawing changed to note that the same oiler was being used for T267 front and rear spring hangers and T283 spindle connecting rod oilers.|
|07-24-14||Spindle bolt redesigned to incorporate a built-in oiler|
|07-16-15||Spring hangers redesigned with an oiler in the perch and in the lower hanger.|
|07-11-16||Oilers removed from the hangers and press-in oilers added to the perches. (There was considerable overlap in production with combinations of old and new types being used.)|
|09-06-16||Brought drawing up to date with oilers as they are being made by changing the design from 4N Bowen. The new type was the Winkley.|
|09-30-16||T2944 spring oilers. These were used on the springs, replacing the hanger oilers. They were Winkley 1-G Special Winkley Oiler. They appear to have a spring-loaded ball as a door. Push the ball down to add the oil and then the ball seals the hole. They were zinc plated.|
|11-29-16||Changed from the above Winkley to the man-hole style, also made by Winkley, and were initially raven finished but later Zinc coated. This oiler was also used on the commutator.|
|12-13-16||Changed to Winkley oiler #3, Style R.|
|02-08-17||This same oiler now used on the spindle bolts.|
|03-15-18||No longer used on the commutator.|
|07-03-19||A larger oiler was now used on the spindle bolts.|
|08-07-19||This larger oiler was also used on the tie rod bolts.|
|04-03-22||T2944-A3 flip top oiler now specified. These were made by Bowen and were zinc plated, and were used until the end of Model T production.|
|1/19/09||To be used after first 2500 cars|
|3/4/09||To be made of flat rolled steel instead of brass tubing. Two pieces of gause used inside.|
|3/10/10||New design to go into effect immediately|
|5/16/10||Obsoleted new design and reinstated old design|
|6/5/10||New design (not indicated)|
|6/21/11||Changed width of slot from 1/16 to 1/8 (This filler pipe did not have a cap. The end was open with just a screen to keep out dust and dirt.)|
(T582B and T509)
|2/9/12||Cap soldered in place in two places|
|8/31/12||Made in USA to be stamped in cap|
|1/21/14||Specified cap to be soldered in three places|
|2/24/14||Changed material from sheet brass #22 B&S .025 to cold rolled steel #22 US .031 (fender scrap|
|2/26/14||Cap not spot welded to pipe in three places|
|4/25/14||Now welded in two places. Brought up to date incorporating certain changes in T5090 (509C?)|
|8/24/14||Changed distance between the pockets on inside of cap from 1-1/2 to 1-1/2 to 1-33/64|
|12/10/14||Called for six lugs on the bottom which are to be clinched over the rib which holds the gause in place in the breather pipe, holding the cap to the pipe.|
|4/23/15||Changed inside diameter from 2 to 2-3/16 and the number of pockets and lugs from 6 to 3. Changed height from 3/4 to 13/16, specifying bottom of pockets to be connected with the top of the cap by a 1/4 radius of the inside of cap.|
|8/16/15||Changed material from fender scrap to running board shield or fender apron scrap.|
|5/5/16||Removed the name Ford and the Made in USA|
For the first 2500 cars the cap was a malleable iron cap that looks about like the one on Model NRS cars. That was factory number T-510.
The first breather pipe design for the thermo-siphon engine was adopted on Dec. 8, 1908. This was a design which consisted of a brass cylinder. The top quarter inch was of larger diameter than the hole in the front timing cover for the breather pipe, and inside the tube were three layers of brass gauze. The top quarter inch was also knurled to provide a grip for getting the pipe out. The factory drawing, though, was clearly labeled never used.
The second design, T-582-B, was adopted on January 21, 1909. The tube was made out of brass, had a piece of brass gauze inserted, but no cap. This would be real easy to make; take a later brass oil filler cap assembly and take off the cap.
On March 10, 1910 a new design was adopted to replace the old one. Same factory number but a different design. A month an a half later, on May 16, 1910, the new design was obsoleted and the old design reinstated. The brass gauze in this one is held in place not by a ring turned into the tube, but by little tabs stamped out of the tube.
The cap for the breather pipe was not adopted until November 22, 1911. It was made from brass and had Ford in script embossed into the top. It was made by Keim in Buffalo.
On August 31, 1912 Made in USA was added under the name Ford. The Made in USA was stamped into the cap while the Ford continued to be embossed.
On February 24, 1914 the material for making the cap changed from sheet brass to cold rolled steel ¾ fender scrap.
The big change came on April 23, 1915. The diameter increased from 2 to 2-3/16 and the number of lugs decreased from six to three. The releases indicate that the old style was to remain in production until the new dies could be made. Note that the Name FORD and the Made in USA remained on the top of this cap. These are bona fide Ford caps, not spurious.
On August 16, 1915 the material was changed to a thicker heavier gauge of steel. Here after the caps would be made from running board scrap, not fender scrap.
On May 5, 1916 the embossed Ford and the stamped Made in USA were removed from the cap. Thereafter the cap remained unchanged until the end of Model T production.