Blasius Bros Harley

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Blasius Bros Harley

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:19 pm

Herb sent me a photo of an IF Harley sign. It got me digging and I found some images of the old Blasius Bros, Harley Davidson dealer. A 1935 photo of Broadway shows the dealer sign on the left.
BLASIUS35.jpg
This is a painting I did from a later photo and sold to a local who remembered them better than I did.
BLASIUSlater.jpg
I found this photo of Mary Blasius and Sam Joe with their motorcycle and sidecar 1,000 mile away in Wallace, Idaho for an Eagles State Convention. No relation :D
BlaiusJoe2.jpg
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6ccd726c ... RtbA&ntb=1
Joe's brother, Charlie was a real character and I wish I could find more on him.
It's hard to find old photos of many old Idaho Falls haunts so I enjoy them when I do.
Rich
When did I do that?

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Blasius Bros Harley

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:35 pm

I remember Blasius Bros. Cycle Shop in that same location.
Get a horse !

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:34 am

Am I the only one who looks at "downtown" street scenes like this and
think "What happened to America ?"
More people are doing it today than ever before !

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:38 am

No,you aren't.
I watched a couple episodes of the tv show Crime story a few nights ago. Nice full size cars, women dressed well with nice hair. Men wearing decent clothes,not their pajamas. no you are not the only 1 that wonders what happened.
Last edited by tdump on Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:47 am

No Burger you are not. Along with everything else we seem to misplaced our manners and respect for ourselves and others. :(
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:58 am

Small Town, America is everywhere. It's just impossible to see it from the interstate or from downtown LA. I'd wager to say that if someone lives within 40 miles of a coastline...by choice (and most Americans do) they'd be bored silly here. And for that, I give Thanks.

Only 40 miles from here to a town just like in Rich's post...

IMG_20201016_074741 (1).jpg
IMG_20210830_193714330_HDR.png
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:47 pm

People are funny, Scott's photos remind me of the fellow who came into the gas station outside of Yellowstone and asked, "Why don't they cut down the trees so we can see the scenery?" (1960s)
When did I do that?

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 pm

Rich, I think those folks grew up to work for the Dept of the Interior, and they DID in fact cut down all of those trees along the east entrance!
Scott Conger

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:41 pm

How long before the buffalo are declared a "climate hazard" and removed to cut CO2 and methane emissions?

Rich P. Bingham

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:39 pm

It happens slowly with increasing population and "progress". The above photo is very near 1935 when my grandparents moved to Idaho Falls. My earliest memories, that first block on the right had been nearly entirely razed and rebuilt. That has happened again in intervening decades. The "new" bank on the next corner (1928 I believe) has been lost to progress, many locations are now parking lots. Across the street, in my time, the Rio Theater was razed and rebuilt as a faceless concrete cube which was faced with corrugsted metal painted barn red and covered with a neon display that proclaimed "Rio" with a swashband a Mexican Sombrero (?!?). The drive in the '50s to "modernize" saw the rest of that side of the street remodeled a la mode. So it goes. Most change is slow enough we tend not to notice, but there's no end to the assault of "utility" and bad taste against the architecture of that 1890-1920 era. I find most attempts at preservation/restoration well intended but misguided. The authentic ambience is generally lost. But hey, I'm a purist brass snob !! :lol:
Get a horse !

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:36 pm

It's called progress Rich.
I can't find a photo of the fantastic, neon Harley flathead sign that hung in the alley/street behind Blasius Bros. Not even one like it amongst the thousands of HD signs can be found. Friends tried to get it after the shop closed, but no luck. The shop became a liquor store for several years.
I did manage to find this, of the Hub Bar sign. It too went somewhere, I'm sure.
Hub.jpg
Black and white doesn't do it justice. It reminds me of the time we drove our nieces, 4 and 5 by the place with and inebriated Santa exiting the bar. Neon was so enchanting. As a child I was fascinated by neon in the family's store windows. Touching it gave a shock, mild compared to a car ignition.
Pocatello, ID is doing a great job of resurrecting some of their old signs like the Chief theater one. So sad so many are lost.
Cheif.jpg
When did I do that?

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:17 pm

Mint Bar in Sheridan, WY has some really nice neon:
348s.jpg
348s.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
Scott Conger

Rich P. Bingham

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:18 pm

When the Hub Bar closed, there was an article in the paper. Some feller from California bought the sign to put in his collection. Sic transit. :(

I laugh at the slogan, "Idaho Falls' Only Western Bar".
In true Western tradition of a saloon on ever corner, "back in the day" there were east to west then turning corners, The Grand, The Russet, The Mint, (the Hub), The Samoa Club , The Bon Villa, a bar in the old Porter Hotel, all frequented by ranchers, cowboys, sheepherders and laborers in droves especially on sale days at the Idaho Falls Livestock Commission. You don't get much more "Western" than that. I'm sure I missed a couple.

I suppose the wheels, faux log facade and saucy neon cowgirl roping a highball appealed to tourists. Oh ! I forgot the "B-western" batwing doors ! Lol. Adding to the ambience, one could frequently encounter old Frank Keefer, Tom Mix Stetson, unlit cee-gar stub clenched in his teeth, .45 Colt strapped on his hip. The Keefer twins provided us kids with much fun and wonderment when we were growing up.
Get a horse !

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:22 pm

They went from the Main Street to the strip mall and the large malls with many large stores. Then they went to on line shopping. The bank was lost to on line banking. The large cities in the west are trying to go back 200 years and become like London and New York with subways, trolleys, and busses. They are even planning a building in San Diego where you never need to go outside! There will be retail stores on the ground floor with offices above that and residences toward the top. All you will need to do is go up or down the stairs or elevators! This will be near the airport, however, the palm trees are too tall and interfere with the flight path! The people who are in power don't really think things through. They only see one side of things. I like the smaller towns where people get to know each other.
Norm

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:26 pm

There isn't room here to talk much about the Keefer Family. I lived a block away from them not knowing the wild tales of their earlier years. Just one story of when they lived on the rugged island in the middle of a growing Idaho Falls. "... Fred had a pet bear that slept crosswise in bed with him, making it difficult to sleep. The bear escaped and was captured by the Tautphaus Park Zoo. Fred was allowed to visit the bear and got a welcoming hug". A photo of Fred.
Fred.jpg
Here is an hour video of them if you have the time.
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=db4d9d09 ... JzLw&ntb=1
The boat they got back and forth to the Island was still there in the '80s. We noticed it had a 4-cyl engine in it. I thought it might be an NRS engine from a distance. A fellow finally recovered the boat and a friend acquired the engine. It turned out to be a marine engine much like a Metz and similar to a T.
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic