Fedex finally lost one.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Grizwaldo
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Grisbee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0

Fedex finally lost one.

Post by Grizwaldo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 am

For decades I sold stuff in Hemmings to support my hobby and sent it UPS. It seemed like they did everything they could to discourage my patronage so I went over to Fedex. For years,nothing lost,nothing broken. Lately I sent two big,heavy 55 Ford truck wheels to a tire dealer in Arizona for a guy,sent individually,sent same time to the same place. One got there,one disappeared. I filed a claim and have already been reimbursed,refunded the guy his money for the one,and luckily he had a calm demeaner and good sense of humor throughout the whole thing. He says Fedex and UPS are going to merge and be called FEDUP!

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Fedex finally lost one.

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:26 pm

It can happen. I ordered 3 rather expensive tires for my YPC Bus some years ago. A couple weeks later I received notice from Fedex that they had been delivered but no tires appeared. I went to the proper channels but no resolution. Three days later I was going for a walk and there they sat on the front porch three doors down. The neighbors either didn't notice them or just didn't do anything.
What a relief to see them.
Rich
When did I do that?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 pm

UPS delivered an empty tube the other day. No metal inside. No telling where it is. I place fault on metal company who did not reinforce the plastic end cap with fiberglass reinforced tape. Took a picture of the tube and the sender agreed. New material arrived and my delay was minimal.

Benefit of living out of town and knowing the drivers by name and face is once we saw UPS on highway (and I suspected she was) headed to our place...we were headed to town...flashed headlights, pulled over, and made the exchange on the side of the road and saved her a bunch of miles.

"Small Town America" still exists in some parts, and the people are terrific.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 pm
... and knowing the drivers by name and face ...
Scott, there was a time some years ago that I received 2-4 UPS Next Day or Second Day Air envelopes a week and had to sign for them. If I wasn't here, the driver would leave a notice of attempted delivery. Sometimes it was something that I really wanted the same day. In talking to the driver once, he gave me the actual phone number of the local sorting center out by the airport (as opposed to the 800 number). If I found a notice and the shipment was urgent, I'd call the center, explain what had happened, give them my address and the tracking number, and they would call the driver to find out where I could meet him. I'd drive to wherever he specified and we'd do the exchange. (The big brown trucks aren't that hard to find once you're close.) I don't think I ever had a complaint with UPS.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:42 pm

Dick

our "big brown truck" is a little box built onto the back of a 4WD F250. Darnedest thing you ever saw. The gal that delivers for us gets to our place around 4PM and still has the mountain to drive over via the Chief Joseph Byway to Sunlight Basin and on past, to several large ranches, each accessed by miles of unpaved road. It's pitch black here at 4:30PM in the winter. She does it everyday except for 1-2 snow days that her 4WD just won't do it. My hat is off to them, because you can imagine her leaving my house with only one package left and having to traverse another 60+ miles of partial off-road to finish her route. My route cannot possibly even pay their gas, much less hourly wage.

Being a big-city boy, you can imagine my shock the first time I heard a knock on my door, and it opened and she hollered "UPS!" It's windy enough here that some packages would never stay on the doorstep, much less within the state, if just set down. I can't say enough good about them here.
Scott Conger

Topic author
Grizwaldo

Post by Grizwaldo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:55 am

Rich,Sounds like you were lucky. Couple other notes,on one of those news blips that come up on this electronic box when I first turn it on said that Fedex and UPS were adding a $24 charge on any item over 50 lbs starting in January. I sold a moulding to a guy and decided to use one of those cardboard tubes laying around the bldg. to ship it. To my surprise there was an extra $14 charge because it was round and needed extra care to keep it in place. I almost took it back and reboxed it but that little gal behind the counter was so cute I let her have it. The shipment that is.

Scott,Sounds like your driver is to be commended. Some people in this world are dedicated,others are knuckleheads,no getting away from it.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Steve, I could not agree with you more!!

With regard to knuckleheads, having come from an urban area and now settled in no-where's-ville, it seems that urban areas provide support and protections against Darwin's Law, while those sorts appear to largely get weeded out when left to their own deviceds :D

Cheyenne isn't exactly a Huge Urban Center, but apparently does a good impression :lol:

BTW, that KRW engine stand is doing good service in my shop. Always think of you when I use it. Thanks!
Scott Conger

Topic author
Grizwaldo

Post by Grizwaldo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:31 pm

Scott,
Glad to hear the stand is earning it's keep. Do you have any interest in a blind hole boring bar,brand unknown? One of the cutting heads is something like Brown and Church. It may not have one big enough to do a T engine,previous owner bored a 1930 Buick straight 6. Bigger heads may be available.
Steve

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:14 pm

Steve

as much of a tool nut as I am, I hate to, but will have to pass, but appreciate the offer.
Scott Conger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic