Cold winters can be cruel - we can be smarter!

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Cold winters can be cruel - we can be smarter!

Post by Marv K » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:22 am

First off, I have no affiliation with the product or its inventor/patent holder.... I just know they work.
I heat my insulated shop. Natural gas, Modine, thermostat, and 10 miles north of Lambeau's Frozen Tundra.....
While working out there one day, I noticed sunlight shining into the shop next to some of the panel hinges of the insulated overhead door. Investigating, I found minor gaps between those hinges of the door and its weather-stripping. If sunlight can come in around the door, that means heat can also get out!! No matter how much 'adjusting' of the door and rails I tried, I couldn't make up the differences. I started to mention my dilemma to friends, in the hope of finding a solution.
One friend suggested "more weather-stripping". Another said he "saw something over at a local Ace Hardware store" that I might want to check out. 'Hinges with their own springs'.... For under my $100 investment, I believe they have already "more than paid me back" within the three years I've had them. Just closed the door and replaced the hinges in less than an hour..., and that's with taking time to admire my own work! A de-humidifier in the summer benefits like air-conditioning, too.
After checking further, the inventor/patent holder is from Lena, Wisconsin, which is about 40 miles north of Green Bay. This link is for anyone who may want to consider them. I am "Mr. Frugal"

https://www.greenhingesystem.com/
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Cold winters can be cruel - we can be smarter!

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:54 pm

Marv

those are quite clever.

I accomplished similar thing this year with my two doors. We get 80+ MPH winds here occasionally and the shop was always dusty and snow/sand would blow in. I discovered that the vertical track is not parallel to the frame but slightly canted back. The door actually seals (or gets close) to the frame in the last 3" or so of drop. Realizing this, I simply moved the entire track toward the frame by about 1/8" and now the door contacts the frame at about 1" off the floor and gently wedges when seated. I also doubled the number of brackets on the track and will be installing hurricane bars horizontally on each panel.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the increased efficiency of getting the door to really SEAL. It has made a world of difference in the dust in my shop. Now heat, that's another thing. Insullation is going in this year. :D
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Cold winters can be cruel - we can be smarter!

Post by Duey_C » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:18 pm

That's neat! A nicely fitting door verses a floppy close-enough fitting door.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic