Metz for sale in original condition !

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 am

I know there are some Metz lovers around here, take a look:
(as usual, not mine, no connection, just found it on PreWarCar)

https://www.prewarcar.com/298109-1912-metz-model-22
Attachments
Metz 1912.jpg
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Metz for sale in original condition !

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:51 am

Those are terrific photos! That would be a fun little car.
4 years ago we got to play with this one. It was such a treat to hear it run.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1471715926
When did I do that?

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Belgium

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Too Bad it is in Belgium 🇧🇪

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Topic author
Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 am

Get some floats FJ and bring it back Stateside :lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:22 am

Bill Harper could probably estimate the fair market value of that Metz - but I doubt it Would be worth importing from Belgium to the states.

I have taken the Washington State ferry from Anacortes to Orcas Island with my truck and trailer to deliver a Stanley Steamer Mountain Wagon .... 😉

FJ

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Fri May 22, 2020 12:52 am

The "Paper Pulley Company" still makes sets of drive pulleys for these. I think the current price is about $300 for a complete set. If I remember correctly, the company is in Ohio. I understand they (Metzes, not the Paper Pulley Company) run surprisingly well and are good little cars. The model before this model, was sold as a build-it-yourself kit. I would love to see the instructions for the assembly of it. The Assemble-It-Yourself" kit was very popular, with kit shipments each month until the car was complete. The last shipment contained the engine. Apparently this was done because they had a factory full of parts, and no way to produce the cars. The guy who did this sold all the kits, cleared all the debts of the previously failed company, and had enough left over to bring out this snappy new model, which was also very popular. They are very cute cars.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 pm

The wheels easily reversed for wide tread (southern) or regular tread. Bosch DU4 magneto,and powerplant is very similar to model T. The head, with light mods will bolt on the T and raise compression. Manifolds are also interchangeable. Chas. Metz and Henry were good friends, and Chas. tried to get Henry to move manufacturing up there. Neat car, neat history. I also agree the earlier two cylinder plan car is a great story. Pretty sure there is one similar to the 1912 torpedo pictured above for sale in northern Ohio, write me if interested.

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BHarper » Mon May 25, 2020 3:26 pm

I wish that I had seen this thread a week or two ago. I just now clicked on the link for the Metz for sale ad and it is gone. I guess that the car is sold. No, I don't need another Metz, but I would have enjoyed reading the description and studying the pictures. Dang, story of my life: A day late and a dollar short. Now, if I can just figure out how to be late to my own funeral.....

The picture shared by the original poster is intriguing for several reasons. It is a first year model, built in 1911 but a 1912 model year. (Think 1909 model year T built in 1908.) The shift lever is on the outside of the body, it was moved into the body for the following year and Metz called it Center Control. The "sweet potato" horn is correct and properly mounted, but the horn's rubber bulb mounting location doesn't look right, maybe it is the pictures angle, I dunno.

The chain covers are present! Those are usually the very first parts to vanish from these cars, soon followed by the engine's valve chamber dust covers. I wonder if Those are present?

There is so much in this one, tempting, photograph to raise hope that this Metz may be one of the more complete, correct and original cars out there. With the ad having disappeared I have no more comments to offer about this car.

I will note that I have seen a few Metz cars offered for sale over the last three or four years. More than a few of them have received recent restorations: beautiful paint jobs in very wrong colors (they came in only one color- a very dark blue with Loads of cream pinstripe), chain covers missing, transmission cover missing, engine cover missing (without the engine cover in place they WILL overheat, which the unknowing try to cure by adding a Model T water pump, fan and crank pulley), and other omissions or fanciful additions and errors and all of this for a pie in the sky price tag.

A Metz is a fun little car to drive. It can be a challenging car to operate. They have a good power to weight ratio (22 Real HP and about 1200 LP) and have peppy performance, not unlike what you might get in a stock Model T speedster. They are not for everyone, just like the Model T.

0616181637.jpg
[/size]

FreighTer Jim

Belgium

Post by FreighTer Jim » Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Bill

That Metz was in Belgium 🇧🇪

FJ

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon May 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Bill, I sold a complete one to Canada about 10 years ago. It had a gray brush paint job, but very complete. Beautiful set of brass e&j lights, potato horn, etc. no windscreen, which would have been an optional item anyway. Chain covers. It was 1912, IMHO the best looking year. I think I had an extra engine included with it. Fellows front name was peter, I think, but may still be there in the same condition. Sorry, no pictures but those in my mind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic