COVID 19 and the Model T Hobby- A letter to my fellow hobbyist.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

COVID 19 and the Model T Hobby- A letter to my fellow hobbyist.

Post by Matt in California » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Note: I posted the following this morning. I saw that it was pulled and there was a notice on the General Discussion Forum a note from the administrator: "Stop posting anything but Model T related info here." So I am reposting here on the OT forum. I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone including our administrator. Actually, I am glad that the General Discussion Forum is focusing on the Model T hobby and understand the reality that Jeff has to play Sheriff. But what was perplexing to me was that the top four messages on the forum are currently about closures. From my perspective we should not expect any large events related to Model T to happen in the next one to two months. In light of that, I wrote the following with the hope that we could focus on what we can do...

Please hear me to the end of this letter. If you look at my past posts, I am not one to post off topic and I believe this post is very much on topic in regard to the social side of the hobby and safety of our members. I am a younger MTFCA member and would likely fight the virus off in a few days, but I write the following in concern for all members.

Logic behind shutdowns and self isolation
Because of my employment I happen to be contacted earlier on in the decision making process regarding closures do the pandemic. In short, I expect to see a lot more shutdowns in the next two weeks. This may seem excessive when there are only two isolated cases in the county. But our elected officials are faced with the reality that hospitals have a limited number of ventilators, the challenges of isolation of large numbers of people and looking at other countries late response that caused hospitals to triage people. Additionally social distancing has it greatest impact if a very small percentage of the population is ill. In my lifetime I don't think the USA has had a nationwide disaster hit, it is much easier to focus skilled professionals on a few regions. Because of all this, healthy regions are encouraging (requiring) shutdowns to slow down the virus and allow skill professionals to focus on areas harder hit. The logic is not so much on the individual, but the whole herd. I heard someone say it this way, "This is not a time to panic, but to avoid a reason to panic." The optimist in me hopes that this ends up being the best (least impact) flu season ever.

How should we respond? (In my opinion)
Rather than questioning the logic of elected officials and the advice of professionals I suggest the following:
  • Follow the warnings and if you are older or at higher risk self isolate.
Let's focus on what we can do:
  • Meet in smaller groups. Perhaps you have meetings that are normally too large for most of you club members to host. Here is an opportunity to just have one or two members come by...
  • Sell Online- if you are like me, you supplement the hobby by selling things. I prefer to sell at a swapmeet even at a lower price. But this year I will likely pull out just a few higher priced items and put them online. (If I had more time, complete isolation, I would sell more.)
  • Look at the positive. For me it is likely I will get to work more from home. (There are lots of negatives about how I don't like change... I will avoid dwelling on that.)
  • Post more online. I know there are many people who have told me they just havn't learned the new forum login. Now would be a great time to learn.
  • Talk with your faith leaders. Times like this cause us to question things beyond ourselves, and put us at a place where we want to right wrongs. I encourage you to talk with faith leaders. (If you can't think of anyone, feel free to contact me, in the past I was a life coach for a Christian nonprofit.)
  • Generosity Unfortunately with shutdowns many people who work day-to-day may find them selves out of work. I can't help everyone, but I can help a few people pay their rent and/or share some food. I will look for ways to be generous.
  • Finish a project. If we are isolated at home we have no excuse not to:)
  • Add to this list. I would love to hear other ideas.
I do want to say my thoughts and prayers go out the victims, victims family around the world. I pray for a speedy recovery.

I really hope the best for everyone even if you strongly disagree with what I have said. But I hope that you can respond in a similar way to how you would if I was just promoting a safety feature on their Model T.

Respectfully,
Matt

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: COVID 19 and the Model T Hobby- A letter to my fellow hobbyist.

Post by Duey_C » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:05 am

Aww poop. You had some positive responses over on the regular forum. They're lost I guess.
Nice write-up sir!
Let's carry on. :-)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 am

I agree with you 99 percent! (Hey, no two people should ever agree 100 percent, that ain't natural!)
I think I have enough engineering, math and science, history and philosophy background to have a pretty good handle on most things going on in our world. I do not really fear this virus. While it truly may be the worst virus to attack us in a very long time, the numbers do not imply that this one (at least in its current state of evolution and mutation?) is the one that could really wipe us out. While EVERY death is a tragedy, the death rate this has so far shown isn't nearly severe enough to decimate any significant portion of humanity.
This virus really doesn't scare me that much.
What does worry me, a LOT! Is that society has for about a half century now traveled far down a greedy and VERY short-sighted path. The middle class has lost most of its wealth, while a self-appointed elite has gathered most of the real money! Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people becoming wealthy. Some of my long-time good friends truly are wealthy (and I don't think they owe me a dime!) They EARNED it. They provided goods and/or services, and jobs for hundreds of people. Society benefited greatly while they worked for their wealth. Too many people gathering wealth today have simply "gamed" the system. They sharpened their pencils and manipulated markets for quick huge payoffs while shutting down viable businesses, taking away jobs for the working classes and exporting manufacturing to other parts of the world while those country's master manipulators made huge fortunes off virtual slave labor. Meanwhile, our bought and paid for by special interest governments tax us mercilessly while inner corruption steals more money than the average person can even begin to comprehend.
Most of our economy today is based upon Ponzi schemes, "shell games", basically smoke and mirrors (or use whatever euphemisms you prefer). There is no real foundation to it, and it is just waiting for some "cough" or "sneeze" to blow the whole thing down. An economic foundation requires manufacturing, building and maintaining of infrastructure, or even quality of life services for thousands, in return for accumulation of wealth.
A severe economic collapse would result in loss of power, lack of fuels, and thousands of stores with NO foods to sell. The resulting chaos, followed by starvation and disease could easily kill a thousand times as many people as this virus likely ever could!
Frankly, THAT scares the Hell out of me!

Right now, we need to do what is just now being done. Limit our contacts, keep our distances, settle in for awhile and DO NOT PANIC. Just to slow the progression of the virus just long enough to keep it manageable. All of us need to take a few hits. Cancelled meets and tours are a minor loss compared to what we could have to face. Some will suffer loses of income, and many of those will be barely making it before this came along.

And I want all my forum friends and long-time antique automobile buddies to be here when we get past this immediate threat.

Topic author
Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:49 am

Duey and Wayne,
Thanks for your response. Our cars have lived through a lot! I think what they saw in the late '20s and '30s would be informative.

But my purpose in the post is to hear how others find productive ways to move forward with the hobby despite the restrictions.

Matt

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:23 am

Im still working with my business. Trying to taper back spending on the hobby till this thing settles down. I still don't have time to work on my T with the business, but can spend a few on here keeping up.
stay safe,
Danny

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:13 am

Who needs faith leaders when we have the CDC? They bring their commandments down from Mt. Sini Hospital and they give you two choices - obey or be punished. Think you are young and healthy enough to get and survive the virus in a few days? Think again. You now are a carrier - public enemy #1. Hope you enjoy forced (not self) isolation for the next 18 months or until a vaccine is found.:)

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:25 am

But there are those that trust in God when it comes to their money,thier jobs and so forth.But let a virus come along and it is just to much for God,the government can handle this 1. :shock:

Um danged if I would want to honestly feel that way about it.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Form Your Own Educated Opinion

Post by FreighTer Jim » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 pm

My wife and I left work lives behind at an earlier age than normal, and moved to where we are, because of anticipation of "something like this". I must say, I never really actually expected the "something like this" to actually manifest itself at all, much less like it has. We simply felt we were being prudent in the face of historic peace, prosperity and well being and the shortening odds of it continuing unabated...I figured that after all, while a coin flip is always 50/50 heads/tails, how long can you go before you see "tails", if you've just seen a long string of "heads-only" landings? The odds always remain at 50/50 but that didn't provide much comfort knowing that. We're very glad to not be where we used to live, but brother it is certainly taking directions I didn't anticipate, that's for sure. I wish everyone well, particularly our friends and old neighbors, but the reality is, this is going to be very, very rough, and rougher for some than others.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:05 am

The 18 Runabout (that's up in a buddy's little shed for the time being) may have seen a lot of yuck a hundred years ago with the "Spanish flu"...
Oh! What am I doing in these completely new/unprecedented times?
1 Matt, there are $$ valves coming for a 413 cubic inch tractor engine that loves to have money poured into it! I'm glad to do it.
2 I reached out to a magneto guy for parts but he didn't understand me. I get that. My don't either friend's.
Duey, what are you talking about? :)
3 Waiting for some 0.22 ufd (MFD) capacitors for those American Bosch tractor magnetos from Florida... Waiting...
4 Picked up a can of "New cast Iron" paint from the NAPA store today for parts that I can clean up and paint if I get laid off.
That's OK!
I'll have more time to clean up and paint! I'll get axed, UNLESS I happen to know enough to be dangerous. OR helpful...
5 I have valve lifter faces to be ground yet.
6 Need to bother my machinist about other engine parts. Mainly cam-thrust bushings and water pump/magneto drive shafts.
Ooh! He has the manifold!
7 Heads to be done for the engine.
8 Stopped at the fleet store and picked up some Weller soldering iron tips for my 1400 Watt gun. Magneto fiddling.
I know these are not T parts but we have been relegated to the OT section. So I feel I can liberate/opine.
Not T related yet trying to stay focused on a smaller economy. I need this. You get that.
I do what I can.
Hobbies must keep going and we do. Hopefully new rear tubes, flaps and tires for the TT this year. Hope.
These tractors eat money like a train eats coal...
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic