Ford Shutting Down

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Ford Shutting Down

Post by HPetrino » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:42 pm

I just heard on the news that Ford is shutting down all production. I believe this is the first time that has happened in the 117 years of Ford Motor Company. Of course during WW II production was shifted from cars to war products, but not shut down. Damn.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Ford Shutting Down

Post by Duey_C » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:51 pm

Yep, the other two also.
Barny Fife: Nip it! In the bud!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 am

I think Ford did shut down twice. The first one was when Ford bought out all the previous stockholders and took the company private. They used up every part in the factory to produce new cars, (they had HUGE stocks of parts set aside) (Nevins gives a list of the excess parts they stocked in case of machinery failure or other stoppage, and I was amazed at the numbers. It was in the thousands of parts for each category.) Ford stopped all part production and only assembled cars to ship to dealers. Ford paid off all the banks, paid off the stockholders, and then owned the company outright.
The second shutdown was the conversion from the T to the Model A. I think that was about 8 months long, if I am not mistaken.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Fri May 22, 2020 1:01 am

I think Ford did shut down twice. The first one was when Ford bought out all the previous stockholders and took the company private. They used up every part in the factory to produce new cars, (they had HUGE stocks of parts set aside) (Nevins gives a list of the excess parts they stocked in case of machinery failure or other stoppage, and I was amazed at the numbers. It was in the thousands of parts for each category.) Ford stopped all part production and only assembled cars to ship to dealers. Ford paid off all the banks, paid off the stockholders, and then owned the company outright.
The second shutdown was the conversion from the T to the Model A. I think that was about 8 months long, if I am not mistaken.

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:22 pm

The Ford Company shut down some of the assembly plants in the 1930s during the great depression. The Twin City Plant in St. Paul MN was closed during 1933-34. Ford built "Jeeps" during WWII. The s Henry Ford II turned down the opportunity to continue building them after the was and let Willy Overland build them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic