A tour of an old machine shop-Video

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

A tour of an old machine shop-Video

Post by Herb Iffrig » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:51 pm

I think I will quote Stan Howe on this one:
"For those of you who like this sort of thing-this is the sort of thing you will like"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D_AOIdbFAw

I like to read the comments too.

Herb

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: A tour of an old machine shop-Video

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Herb

thanks for posting

If it has a leather belt and goes clickclickclick when running, it's my passion. For me, this was a very disheartening video knowing that this will all be broken up and the building likely leveled. The roof appeared to be in great shape and machinery preserved in place. So sad. 20 years ago, this would have made my day, but now, not so much, knowing it will be broken up and hidden away in 50 basements, each machine being the "crown jewel" of that particular shop. Just my feelings FWIW. Wow...depressed. Must be low blood sugar :)
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Post by Herb Iffrig » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:37 pm

I believe you are somewhat wrong. The video says that the building on the property is being redeveloped and some of the machines are staying there for decoration and remembering what the building had originally been used for. I too had thought I wished someone could buy the whole thing and keep it together. At least this is happening and it is going to someone willing to use it or get in in the hands of people who appreciate it for what it is or capable of being used for.
This was just put on youtube on 3-20 and I think there is a follow up video coming too.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:21 pm

About 4 miles from me is an old shop with the main drive line that all the equipment ran off of on leather belts and pulleys. Bread pan oil catchers hung from the ceiling under the gears on the shaft to catch the oil drippings. This shop was used until Fred passed away 10 years ago. Fred was a kind old gentlemen who would fix things in the antique machine shop until the day he died. I went to him a few times to have him make stuff for me and he would fire up the old motor that ran the belt line and then start up whatever machine he needed. He never charged anyone in his later years he would just smile and hand you what he repaired and say "We'll catch up someday" but that day never came. That shop still sits there 10 years later with all the equipment in it rusting and rotting away because his nephew who inherited it refuses to sell it or anything in it. What I don't understand is he never helped his uncle or gave a damn about him. That shop probably has everything in it to make the Model T Museums workshop complete. I miss Fred.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic