You need "Informed Delivery" from Post Office - particularly with virus making the rounds

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

You need "Informed Delivery" from Post Office - particularly with virus making the rounds

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:43 pm

I posted this on another topic where this related. I feel that it deserves its own thread and while I believe it is of importance and use to members, it would surely be taken down if put in general discussion heading if placed there:

I am going to make a suggestion to everyone: get "Informed Delivery" from the Post Office. You will register YOUR address and email account with them and every day you will receive an email with a PICTURE of all of your mail. You will also receive notification of delivery of any packages.

ANYONE can register your mailbox and view it's contents if you do NOT register your OWN address first. Nice way to monitor the neighbor for their Checks or Credit Card bills with important credit info, no? If you do NOT register your address first, you are begging to be a target for a bad guy.

With Informed Delivery, I can choose to not drive 2 miles to get to my mailbox if I don't need to, and when I do need to it gets carefully removed and then sits in "isolation" for several days. It is foolish to listen to experts give scientific data as to how long a virus lasts on materials, including paper, and then say "but the mail is perfectly safe". For me, the mail is perfectly safe about 3 days after people have quit handling it.

Get Informed Delivery
Get Informed Delivery
Get Informed Delivery

All the reasons to get it are good ones, and it is free.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Re: You need "Informed Delivery" from Post Office - particularly with virus making the rounds

Post by perry kete » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:39 am

You make a statement about how long the virus is active on paper mail but no one seems to worry about how long it stays on paper money as they exchange it at the drive-thru eateries and the banks.
Who handled the money before you or the transport tube at the drive in bank window?
How long is it on the coins? Daily newspaper?
Who pushed the button on that vending machine you're using?
I'm not paranoid just asking a question.
It may seem silly but I had to bring this up since they claim it sits on paper, plastic, metal, and glass.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: You need "Informed Delivery" from Post Office - particularly with virus making the rounds

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:48 am

I don't think you're paranoid at all. Those are very good questions for almost anyone reading this but me at this point.

The cash I handle hasn't been touched by anyone for years and very little is needed right now
What's a newspaper?
I'd have to drive 35 miles to find a vending machine, and then I'd only look at it and wonder who on earth would use it right now

I made a concious effort to get to where I am, and it isn't anywhere near a town. Heck, my mailbox is over 2 miles from my house...Around here, anyone within 50 miles is a neighbor...all 10 of 'em. This place isn't for everybody, but it's great for us.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49 am

I have had Informed Delivery since I first read about it. Once I was expecting a check and it wasn't in my mail. Since the carrier (a substitute) was still at the mailboxes in my building, I mentioned that there appeared to be something missing that had been in that morning's email. She went back to the truck and came back with a fistful of mail for me and others.

In spite of the Informed Delivery, I still get surprises. They don't scan magazines; instead there's a notation "You are receiving a piece of mail for which we don't have an image." That means that getting the VF is still a happy surprise.... :D

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue May 19, 2020 1:50 pm

I have had Informed Delivery for over a year now. It's great. Just nice to know what's coming, especially out in the sticks where the mailbox is "free game" for idiots passing by maybe wanting to score a quick treasure. Or just aggravate us. That way if something's missing, you can check with the P.O. to see if it was delivered...they know everything that is now...and search from there.

As for the "infections"...just Wash your hands, Wash your hands, Wash your hands. That's our BEST defense, along with staying away from each other as we "spray talk" into the air!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic