My whatamacallet project for the shop

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

My whatamacallet project for the shop

Post by tdump » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:41 pm

I have been brain storming this object for about a year now. I need better lighting in my shop but things just aint worked out for that to happen. BUT I have several old 4 foot lights laying around. I went to a body shop a few weeks ago and saw a light they had rigged up to shine along the side of a car they were working on and it was on wheels. Well, after cutting a peice of pipe for a tongue on a mortor mixer the other day, I had this peice left. Things just kinda happened. I found some old dolley wheels, some Telespar left over from junk we threw away at work 20 years ago, various other things and here it is. I think the 2 grinders I have about 40 bucks in as I bought the big 1 used at a scrap yard. The light,metal pipe and other stuff was literal scrap I had laying around. Paint came from freinds cleaning out garages. I have about 10 bucks in the electrical as I used part of a old heavy drop cord for power. I do alot of my work sitting down in different hieght chairs and stools as I have balance issues. So this gives me light over my work table, and the most used tools will be handy without getting up 14 times. I have a few more refinements, like some tool holders and another tray on 1 side or a couple pound cake size parts bins or something but for the most part I will call it far enough along to show off and maby give someone else some ideas.The vise is plugged into a tube along with the stainless tray. Removable and the light can be took off from above and plugged into those tubes to shine on a car body .But honestly,i like this portable light idea so much I think I will make another 1 alot simpler,mostly just a light to shine further over a project,say shine above the center of the Model T chassis while i am putting in the engine or something. Please forgive the shop mess
Attachments
DSC00134.JPG
DSC00133.JPG
DSC00132.JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: My whatamacallet project for the shop

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:55 pm

Looks great! Can I borrow it?
Just kidding. You are too far away to be practical.
Actually, I have a good portable lamp my grandfather built (probably before I was born!) using one of those wonderful old flying saucers and a 300W bulb. I don't use it very often, but when I do, it does a fine job! And I always treasure it, along with the wire brush wheel on old steel casters that he made (which I use a LOT!).

By the way, my grandfather's first name was "Mack".

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Re: My whatamacallet project for the shop

Post by tdump » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:44 pm

My grandfather Cole's first name was Mack and my grandfather on my mothers side was Jefferson,so my first and middle name are after my grandfathers. I brainstormed some additions today as I mowed grass. Some muffin tins from the dollar store will wind up on a rack to hold screws and bolts from whatever I am working on. Trying to come up with a good idea for holding screw drivers,pliers and such.
For bases for bench grinders I use for heavyer stuff, I use semi brake drums. A bit hard to move around,but they STAY put while in use.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic