Fordson Help

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
KenHaverhill
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: LeBlanc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 coupe 23 touring 26 TT Snowmobile 22 TT Dump Truck 26 Fordoor
MTFCA Number: 25458

Fordson Help

Post by KenHaverhill » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:58 pm

I am putting my 1920 Fordson F tractor back together and could use some advice from those who have already been there. I have a 1920 F model and what I read tells me that this tractor did not come with a brake. When the clutch pedal was fully depressed it did not provide any breaking,however when I pulled transmission apart what I found was a brake shaft in the trans plate but no brake components on the idler gear. The clutch lever also had the spot for a break adjusting screw but none there. I realize that like model t's the tractors over the years had lots of parts swapped back and forth to keep them running. I have read both pros and cons on the brake setup,some saying the clutch will work much better with no brake components? My question to those who have been here before is--1 should I add the brake components I am missing while apart and have a brake ? or2 should I just put back together the way I took it apart ( i am guessing it worked ? havent driven )I thought the trans plate was different for using the brake , I am guessing thats what I have but not sure,,the plate seems to have a grove in it for idler gear bushing .The idler with brake components seems to have a different bushing??If I did put an idler gear with the brake components on I also am not sure of how parts are assembled.Thanks for any advice

Speedster Jeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Model T Ford Speedster

Re: Fordson Help

Post by Speedster Jeff » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:16 pm

This doesn't help you much, but my deceased father restored a 1923 Fordson when I was a child. He had found another tractor with an aftermarket brake system and he purchased that tractor and removed, rebuilt and installed that brake system on his restored tractor. That was nearly fifty years ago, but I can remember asking him, and him telling me, why he bought and rebuilt/installed that brake system. In a fuzzy, 50 year old summary, the brake system was so much better that it might be worth your effort to try and find one and do the same. I sold off the last of his N.O.S. parts right after he passed because I couldn't find his tractor to buy it back. He has some nice tie rods, and the mag system that I sold to a friend that has a Fordson. I know this doesn't answer your question, but that brake system surly did make a difference in the hills of West Virginia where I grew up as a child.

Joe Reid
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Reid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Coupe, 1920 Roadster, 1923 Touring, 1924 Roadster, 1913 Racer
MTFCA Number: 52067
MTFCI Number: 22088
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Joe Reid » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:35 pm

It is my understanding when you depress the clutch pedal all the way you are also engaging a brake. It is a transmission brake. Do you have a Fordson Tractor Manual. On page 44 and 45 it is explained, Answers 91, 92 and 93. What are you going to use for engine oil and gear lubricant?

Joe Reid
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Reid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Coupe, 1920 Roadster, 1923 Touring, 1924 Roadster, 1913 Racer
MTFCA Number: 52067
MTFCI Number: 22088
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Joe Reid » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:39 pm

I am pretty sure you can get the manual from the Fordson House in Escanaba, MI. Or other parts dealers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic