Old Phonograph

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Old Phonograph

Post by tdump » Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 pm

I have what best I can tell is a Edison Amberola 30 Cylinder Record Phonograph Player that my dad had when he was a kid.
I have never had it working,my dad said it was a basket case when given to him. The mechinism appears complete but i think the spring is broke and there is a issue with the pickup.
The case,well,it had been exsposed to the elements in a old shed long before I got ahold of it.Veneer is really bad..So this is a project that has laid around for most of my dads life and all of mine.
To get out of the house today, I went to Klines antiques,a walk around "junk pile" not far from here and of all things I found a really nice original finish wood cabinet,with nice Edison decal and all. Literally I will just clean it with some Liquid gold furniture polish and call it good.
But there is NO inards. No problem I thought,I can put my dads pieces in it and make a nice complete unit.They seem to be very exspensive on Ebay but honestly,I would just like to get it to work to put with my old radios and it be around until I kick the bucket. I think I ask about it here years ago and lost the posting.
But I was wondering who I could send these inards to i n a box and get them fixed?I don't have a pic handy at the moment.It is about to rain and I had to get stuff put away before hand. We have only had 10 inches of rain in the past 7 days.About drought conditions. :? "NOT!" About ready to start nailing together a boat that will float!
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Re: old phonegraph

Post by HornsRus » Thu May 28, 2020 4:01 pm

ask mark frymiller he knows all about them.620 365 6709. charley

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Fri May 29, 2020 1:07 am

I know a guy who works on all kinds of antique music machines, including the giant disc ones that look like a buzz saw, but just ding out a tune on little pins on the disc. If you are seriously interested in getting it fixed, I will give you his number, and you can talk to him. He has shown a lot of his work at our local machinist club meetings, and it is quite awesome. He is getting older now, and I think is starting to slow down some. So if you are interested, I would not waste any time.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri May 29, 2020 9:04 am

Also try googling Edison and the model number. There should be a number of people that fix them on the web.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... aph+repair
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Edison phonographs are repairable. I own 6 or 7 of them.. It has been a few years since I repaired one, but some parts are available. Springs can be replaced. Go on line and you will find several sources of parts.

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Old Phonograph

Post by TFan » Fri May 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Mack, Try "Sights and sounds of Edison" in Milan, Ohio the Birthplace of Edison. I'll try to post a link here. Jim

http://www.edisonman.com/
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Fri May 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks for the info,I will shortcut this thread to my screen so I can come back to it.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun May 31, 2020 1:01 am

I recently sent the motor for my Edison Home phonograph off to www.wyattsmusical.com to replace a broken main spring that I broke when I overwound it. Not only did he replace the spring, he replaced two worn gears and lubricated the motor and greased the spring. Before, it would stop running halfway through one cylinder. Now it will play several cylinders all the way through before needing to be wound up so now I don’t have to wind it all the way up. It has never run better. I have done business with him for 40 years and he always does me a great job for a fair price. He’s fast too. Good luck. Jim Patrick
Attachments
B4412F5D-D9F7-48DB-9E57-8000E26DE977.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic