Running Lean and Hot

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Running Lean and Hot

Post by HPetrino » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 pm

We pretty much all know that when the carb mixture is too lean the engine will run hotter. I know this is a fact because I've experienced it.

Frankly, I don't actually understand it. Simple Vulcan logic would suggest just the opposite. More fuel = more heat not less fuel = more heat. What's the reason for this well known dynamic? It must have something to do with the ratio of oxygen to fuel, but I've never been able to figure it out. Anybody out there have an "explanation for dummies"?

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Running Lean and Hot

Post by CudaMan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:40 pm

Here's my understanding of it, FWIW.

For gasoline, the chemically ideal ratio of air to fuel is around 14.7 to one. This assumes perfect mixing of the air and fuel.

Since the mixing is rarely perfect, most cars are set up to run a bit on the rich side of ideal, this helps ensure that all of the oxygen in the intake air gets used.

If you run a lot richer than the ideal ratio, some of the energy from combustion gets used heating the excess fuel, so the combustion temperature is reduced. Supercharged engines are often set up to run very rich under boost, specifically to cool the mixture.

If you run leaner than the ideal ratio, you're not burning all of the available oxygen. Peak combustion temperature is still reduced somewhat, but the excess oxygen can react with the materials in the combustion chamber, almost like a cutting torch. Think burning pistons, exhaust valves, and spark plug electrodes.

A leaner mixture also burns slower than a mixture at the ideal ratio, so if the spark advance isn't changed, the gases are still burning when they go out the exhaust, which can dump extra heat into the combustion chamber walls (and therefore into the coolant) and cause burned exhaust valves and a glowing red hot exhaust manifold.
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Topic author
HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:22 pm

Thanks Mark! That makes all sense.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:59 am

Nothing that duct tape can't fix, though ....
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic