1928 SPRINT CAR

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

1928 SPRINT CAR

Post by frontyboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:24 pm

These are the pictures I promised
Frontyboy
Attachments
2C823E4A-6C3C-485E-9699-7DD701AA0554.jpeg
E1FD96F5-2AB3-4485-BBA0-F753E738F8A5.jpeg
68FC8466-7D31-4827-9991-6B495B8392A0.jpeg

Topic author
frontyboy

Re: 1928 SPRINT CAR

Post by frontyboy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:50 am

My wife posted these pictures in the wrong place they were supposed to be in the "non Ford what did you do this month postings, sorry

frontyboy

Topic author
frontyboy

Post by frontyboy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:14 am

For some reason my post under non Ford projects has disappeared. So this sprint car is what I have been working on for over 8 years. Now I'm not that fussy, just lots of interruptions. Target date for finish is August 1st for a Speedster run to Mt Baker.

All thats left are graphics, installing the seat and brake and steering adjustments and it DONE. There actually is light at the end of the tunnel.

This sprint car is a restoration of an original sprinter from the 30's. 1928 Chevrolet 4 port motor and transmission, Overland narrowed frame, front and rear end, Budd wire wheels, Winfield Down draft carburetor, and vertical 4 cylinder magneto ignition. It runs and drives well, loud fast and exciting to wheel down the road. Now is almost done, my single stick Fronty speedster is next. It will not take 8 years as I don't think I have that many years left to do the work.

frontyboy

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:37 pm

Cool! Did you mean 3 port Olds head or stock 2 port?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
frontyboy

Post by frontyboy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:02 pm

Stock 2 port in and out, with aluminum intake with Winfield down draft and short tuned exhaust stacks, add a grind on the cam and magneto ignition it is loud, snarly, quick and one hell of a lot of fun to rip up and down the road.

I have a 3 port head but the general thought is that the 2 port is much more efficient. The Olds 3 port does not have the straight through easy breathing that the Chev 2 port does. Guys that have used the 3 port have not seen any improvement so I have the 3 port on the shelf.

frontyboy

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:10 am

Dick, there are too many questions I'd like to ask about that 1928 Chevrolet engine. ;)
If I'm given enough years, I need to put together a straight-eight with 2, 1928 4's. I've 3 or 4 candidates here.
Just lots of interruptions here too and many road blocks 30 years ago.
How's the crankshaft? Mine are bent and quite difficult to bend back. I need to dare learn the old time technique of peening the shaft back to near straight before regrinding. Tough cookies, those shafts are. My first peen trial is a bent, almost 3 foot long cam shaft.
Would you show us a photo of the engine?
HOT looking sprinter! Thank you! :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:10 am

Thanks for the info on the 3 port, good to know. For my type of use with the Chevrolet conversion, I have considered going to smaller intake valves. Mine is going for the wow not race factor. If you look at the runners for the intakes, they are pretty big anyway. I think you could drive a Smart car in there and get lost! LOL Did you leave the baffle things in the openings? I may have made a mistake by removing them for my usage.
Everything you wanted to know about the 28 Chevrolet engine and then some! LOL :

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... or.463465/

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/top ... 335/1.html

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/ch ... 8index.htm

These will have you reading for some time.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:30 am

Oh my. Yesss!
Thank you!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
frontyboy

Post by frontyboy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:04 pm

I removed those diffusors from the intake ports. My thought was when Chevrolet put those in their engines, the gas quality was very poor and they were trying to get it enter the ports more mixed with intake air. Not an engineer but it makes sense to me. When we cc'd the ports and combustion chambers, they were amazing equal which for a old production motor was quite unusual, a tribute to the Chevrolet's racing background.

What I do know is that with the upgrades I have made, a Winfield and Aluminum intake there is no lag on accel, either light or flat to the floor pedal pressure. This engine flat spins up really fast. I did not polish the ports or try to enlarge the valves. When you look at the head and the pass through ports, I did not think I could improve it. Also consider the Louis Chevrolet designed engine, I did not think I could improve his design or engineering. I also did not know how much material was available to remove without getting into water chambers. While I have not weighed this car, my guess is it is about 1200 pounds give or take, so with an easy breathing 4 cylinder motor and light weight, it is probably way to fast for an old fool such as myself to drive really fast.

My new car, Fronty single stick engine has a scat stroker pressure crank and their insert rods bearings, Aris Hi Compression pistons, full pressure oil. This engine is built for speed as the rest of the car will be too. Still under construction and hoping for next summer finish. Now I just need some one with big enough kahunas to drive it, at soon to be 77 years old, I will not be pushing the limits, those days are over.

Any other questions, just ask and I will try to answer.

frontyboy

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:01 pm

I'm your huckleberry. If you need a guinea pig call me! I'll try anything once. I'm an old hillbilly with the credo "hold my beer and watch this". HA!

Topic author
frontyboy

Post by frontyboy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 pm

Your #2 on the drivers list!!!

I drove my last single stick Fronty sprint car 75mph, I was a lot younger and far quicker reaction time. The fastest I have ever driven was 140mph in my Ferrari 348 spider in eastern Washington. Long straight roads noo traffic 'cept a John Deere or 2. As I said those days a long past. Today I'm hard pressed to get over 60mph.

frontyboy ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic