Moving a Grandfather clock

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Moving a Grandfather clock

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:28 pm

I know a couple of you fellas are clock repair/collectors.
Do I need to do anything other the take off the pendulum and weights ?
OK to lay on it's back, or should it stay upright ?
It's only coming from next door, I could hand dolly it over here.
TIA, Dave :)

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Re: Moving a Grandfather clock

Post by Marv K » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:06 am

-Hi, Dave-
I had actually built ours, and have moved it to four different residences....
Best to allow the weights about half-way down in their wind-up length. Remove the pendulum and weights. Weights may look the same, but they weigh differently. Keep the order, left to right to replace at the new location.
Each of the chains should singularly be tied as snug as possible under their own works sprocket. Usually, I've threaded a lightweight zip-tie through each chain for this purpose.
The clock should be now able to relocate safely, whether by a two man carry, a hand dolly, upright, or laying it down.
The important thing to remember at the new location is to have the clock LEVEL, front to back, and sideways. If placing the clock on carpeting, measure the size of the base, go to a glass store and have them cut you a piece of glass at least 1/2" thick glass for underneath so as to level it. You likely have the screw-level pads underneath to adjust to conditions.
Untie/clip the zip-ties, replace your pendulum and weight in the order they came out, wind it up, and enjoy the melody!
Our 'survivor' (photo) has successfully been moved those four times over 38 years. Hope this helps.
Marv
Attachments
Grandfather.png
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:12 am

Dave,
There are a few differences in Grandfather type clocks, in regards to the weights. One style, you have a winding crank, and you insert it into holes in the clock face to crank the weights to the top. On this style, crank the weights to the top, then take the weights off, and take the pendulum off. (It usually just lifts off the mechanism). The other style you pull the loose weight chains down to raise the weights. On this style, you want to keep the chains from coming off their 'WHEELS' (the cog wheel they go around). On these, I take a small wire (I like to use a copper wire, as it is soft)and just where the chains go through the case to the mechanism, run the wire through the chain and tie it. Then take the weights off and the pendulum.
Now you should be able to move the clock without bad stuff happening. It still would be good if you don't have to lay the clock down to use the dolly.
Good luck! Oh, and as Marv mentioned, keep the weights in the order they were in! Yes, they do weigh differently (usually two are the same and one is lighter--USUALLY)
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Most appreciated gentlemen ! Very nice work Marv !!
David, I have the key wind in the face style. No need to tie anything after winding and removing weights ?
It's a beautiful clock, I'll get a picture after I get it moved. ;)

Marv K
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")

Post by Marv K » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:36 am

-Dave-
You're still going to want to 'tie' the weight chains, so the chains won't come off their wheels/sprockets when you're transporting. Mr. Dewey was also right about the wind-up version. My budget back when I built ours didn't fit those more expensive works.....
Enjoy, and let us know how it goes.
Marv

david_dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor

Post by david_dewey » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:39 am

With the crank-in-the-face system, the weights are on cables, and by winding them up to the stops, you have "captured" the cables on the winding drums, so there is nothing to tie down. The fact that the clock is that style indicates it is near, if not at, the top of the line. As Marv mentioned, these are the expensive clock movements! We are lucky enough to have one ourselves, the clock originally sold for more than $3K; we acquired it from some acquaintances moving out of state, and no one would buy it at their estate sale. So we got it for pennies on the dollar--less than a clock kit would have cost me (I was always going to build "our" Grandfather clock, until this deal showed up!). When you take the pendulum off (it usually just lifts off the piece coming out of the clock works (I can't think of the name for it right now) some suggest lightly tying it down so it doesn't come off it's pivot pins (it's a bit complex up there), a rubber band looped through the hole the pendulum hooks in tied to something lower down, you just want a little tension on it so it doesn't lift off the pins it rides on. Some clocks have a tack pushed in the back for this (you might even find a little hole where a tack was. Of course, if you don't have to lay the clock down on it's back, this is not likely to be an issue. Come to think of it, for the short distance you are going, you could just tape the string on the rubber band to the back of the case. Be gentle!!!
Our G-Clock
Our G-Clock
full clock forum.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Thanks to a little help from my friends here and another T friend....
The clock made it across the yard with no issues !! 8-)
This clock is a Sligh, made in Holland, MI. Papers say 1980, which sounds right, I was a teenager when my parents got it.
I had guessed 40 years ago, nailed that one ! :lol:
I think this little corner was made for a GF clock.
Attachments
IMG_1622 (2).JPG

Marv K

Post by Marv K » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:45 am

-Dave-
That is really beautiful, and worthy of whatever prominence you can give it! If that is carpeting I see in your photo, do still consider getting that glass I'd mentioned.

What started me to build ours was first caused by a fascination with another clock. My mother's parents were married in the 1880's. They received a Mantle Clock as a wedding gift, which was inherited and passed on to me about a hundred years later. (Probably because it didn't work!) A Seth Thomas clock, chimes, hand-painted face, and Roman Numerals common of the time. (BTW - It now works.....) Kind of funny how we can get interested in something with only a slight push, kinda like inheriting Dad's '26 TT..... I've included a photo of my Grandparent's Seth Thomas below. Enjoy yourself - "LIFE is terminal!"
Attachments
Mantle Clock G&G Wilfuehr.jpg

david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:21 pm

It does look like a nice niche but it looks awfully close to a fireplace fireplace is dry wood out so I would Not put my clock near one. Our clock is a sleigh also! So about the same time. I think I’d have to look at the paperwork for the house is still there when I get back home I can look it up
T'ake care,
David Dewey

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Yes it can be transported on its’ backside after removing the hood, pendulum, weights and movement from the clock. Before doing anything, label the weights with numbers on masking tape so you will know where they go when reassembling. The reason for this is, while they look the same, the weights may weigh in at different weights because some functions do not require as much weight as other functions and to put a heavier weight on a function that requires a light weight may make it go too fast. The hood, which is the top cover that protects the movement, usually slides off from the front. Once the movement has been exposed, with the weights still on the cables, wind the cable onto the barrel, making sure the cables remain in their specified groove and do not overlap. After winding, place a piece of duct tape across the barrel upon which the cable has been wound to keep the cable from unreeling off the barrel during transporting. After this is done, remove the weights and find the screws holding the movement in place. Be sure to locate the correct screws and not screws that hold the parts of the movement frame together. Carefully lift the movement and cables off its’ shelf and place it in a box for transporting. Wrap the hood in a blanket to protect the glass and transport the weights in a separate box. Also, wrap the clock case in blankets before sliding it in the truck bed. If you arrive and discover that the duct tape did not hold and the cables have unwound, you will need to toggle and hold the winding ratchet and unwind the cable all the way and with the weights in place, carefully rewind the cable onto the barrel. The cables must not overlap for if an overlap occurs, it could prevent the cable underneath the overlap from allowing the cable to unwind, thus stopping the clock. While the brass or steel movement is out, be sure to take the opportunity to apply a drop of clock oil to all of the gear ends that protrude through each retainer plate that house the movement gears. Oil can also be applied to the gear teeth and cages. If the clock movement is made of wood, it should not be oiled. Jim Patrick

david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Since we are back home, I was going to look up my Sligh clock's information, but I can't find it--put it in a "safe place" and now ????
The plate on the inside of the dial door notes: Model 0939-1-AN, Reg. 329-0012-14, Movement 500-0035, Dial 538-0092 and Pendulum 560-0039 and noted: Sligh Holland, Michigan 49423 Made in USA. The zip code at least tells us post um, 1960? I think that's about when ZIP started.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks again fellas.
Marv, I love the mantle clock. I've elected to use some plastic pads underneath the adjustable feet.
It leveled out nice and is pretty stable and in a safe spot.
David, I hope being a fireplace with an insert with a fan that blows out into the room will be not a big concern.
The bricks never even get warm.
Jim, good info, but mine is done moved, with no issues.
I would like to oil the bearings, as who knows when it was done last.
Another question is, the pendulum is supposed to have an adjustment above the hanger to adjust the "tick tick"
to a steady interval. I can't find it....?? Not the one at the bottom to adjust the speed.
We were very fortunate to be able to give it a loving home for years to come.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:48 pm

On my old antique clocks the cadence is adjusted by bending the crutch to one side or the other. The crutch is the rod or wire That is connected to the verge, with a fork through which the pendulum rod passes. Whichever side is the short half of the tick-tock cadence, you will want to lengthen that side so the ticks and tocks are exactly even, so you bend the crutch toward the short side. It will take a few tries to get it right, but you eventually will. It doesn’t take much so be gentle.

Since I have no modern clocks, I don’t know how this is done on a modern clock, such as yours, but I assume the concept is the same. It would be an adjustment that would push the crutch back and forth (right or left) in line with the swing of the pendulum that would lengthen or shorten the swing of the pendulum on one side or the other to get the cadence perfect, which is crucial to keeping the clock running. There is nothing more annoying to me than an uneven cadence. LOL! Jim Patrick

Topic author
Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Yeah, I guess it would be called the crutch adjustment screw, it shows a picture in the book but I noseeum.
I was going to hook my borescope up and look that way. The tick tock pause is annoying the crap out of me also !! :lol:
I believe mine has a panel that comes off the side to get to the works...
What is a suitable oil to use ??

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Go to www.timesavers.com and do a keyword Search for oil. A lot of Clock and watch oils will appear. You should get a very long needle oiler To allow you to easily apply the oil to all gears deep inside the movement and a little bottle of fine clock oil. Special Swiss made clock oil is expensive but It is a special blend made for clock gears, does not evaporate or harden and does not need to be applied as often. Here in Florida, where it stays warm, I use Moebius 8030. It comes in a small bottle, which I poor into my 4” long needle point oiler. Moebius 8031 Is more expensive but it works better at lower temperatures where it gets colder, but be your own judge. Read up on them and educate yourself and choose what you think works best for you and your wallet. Any thin oil such as gun oil or sewing machine oil will work. In the sporting goods aisle at Walmart they have a very thin gun oil distributed by “Remington” that I have used with success. While I prefer using clock oil on my clocks, the Remington gun oil is better than nothing. The oil is crystal clear and comes in a small squeeze bottle with a yellow top. Jim Patrick

PS. If you can’t find the crutch adjustment, you can adjust the cadence by tilting the clock to either side and putting spacers under the feet on whichever side corrects the cadence (if the cadence is not too far off. Some clocks have adjustable feet that negates the use of spacers but they can only be raised so much.

david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:44 pm

My Sligh instructions for setting is to take the pendulum and start it swinging from the side of the case (maximum swing--when it runs it swings about half that much)--it is supposed to somehow set itself. I haven't found the paperwork, just remember reading that when we set up the clock. So far it has run very well.
David
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic