Scam warning

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Scam warning

Post by perry kete » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:50 pm

I don't know if this is true but it sounds like something someone would try to get your personal information

test kit.jpg
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: Scam warning

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:21 pm

I just cannot get my head around this scam problem that never goes away.
Am I just too cynical ? Are people really this stupid ? I don't know .....

So long ago I cannot remember, someone or somehow, it was impressed upon
me "Don't call us, .... we'll call you". Applied to general common sense, if you
are getting cold-called, someone is trying to pitch you something, and that is a
no-go. Hang up. I'll call YOU when I want something. Not the other way around.
And that is without adding in the scam factor. Now, we're crawling with scammers,
and the gullible are still getting snookered ? How is this possible ? I just don't
get it. :roll:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:42 pm

If they make enough calls, eventually some elderly person who is impaired by Alzheimer’s or dementia will answer and actually listen to what they have to say and give them what they want. Access to their account information. Once they have their hooks in, they are very difficult to get rid of, especially by a lonely old person who has nobody and nobody to talk to except for the nice scammer paying attention to them, expressing concern for their welfare and making them feel important and needed. They are the perfect prey and will eventually lose everything to these ruthless people who care little for the misery they cause unless someone steps in and helps and many of these people have no such savior. Jim Patrick.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:57 pm

People have been too conditioned to reveal their SSN for everything under the sun. Many think of it as no more sacred than giving out their phone number. I don't even give it out to dentists or doctors. Especially with people in the medical profession, they don't "need" your SSN to do the work -- they want it because when you default on a payment it makes it easier for them to take action against you. It's the same reason they want your birth date, which I also don't give out easily. Knowing your age is important for their work, but they don't need the exact date. They press for that stuff to aid in processing claims. A few little bits of information that too many all too willingly post on Facebook is all it takes for a clever somebody to steal your identity.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic