Scammers Everywhere

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Scammers Everywhere

Post by HPetrino » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:47 am

This morning our house phone rang at 8:21 A.M. The caller ID said it was "Modesto, CA" and showed a correct 209 area code with a phone number. I answered it. The caller (a mechanical voice) said, "This is Amazon. We have detected potentially fraudulent activity on you account. If you did not recently make a $1,409,23 purchase please press 1." So, I pressed 1. Now a live voice came on. He repeated the amount and asked of I know a John Richardson. I said, "No, I do not." He said, "OK. It's a fraudulent transaction." I said, "How could you possibly know that. You don't even know who I am yet." The line went dead.

I'm pretty sure the next question would have been, "Give me your credit card number so I can reverse the charge."

Be careful out there!!!!!

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: Scammers Everywhere

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:05 pm

They are persistent. My wife who is our local club secretary has gotten several Emails from club officers asking to send money. The first one was from our President who had passed away 8 months earlier. We check now with requesters and don't ever send money except hand delivered checks.
All these came from one bank account. We had the number, location and a name but authorities here and there said it was not worth charging him with anything. Apparently there is too much of this going on for the time they have.
Just the world we live in.
Rich
When did I do that?

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:54 pm

And there is part of the problem.
It would behoove people to go ahead and press charges, and make examples out of the jurks.
When my debt card was hacked, I ask politely who and how, I was not told anything except that when i used the card at a gas station they were able to get the info and it cost me about 400 bucks.
I should have pushed harder,perhaps hired a lawyer.Not because of the money,but because of the inconvience and to bring the jurk out in the open so his or her name would be on record for fraud.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:30 pm

I just got an email about my Amazon account. I didn't click on it, I don't have an Amazon account. ;) Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:55 pm

I think most of us here are old enough to have, and use common sense.

If you get these sort of cold contacts, and they are not OBVIOUSLY bogus, ...
but still enough to concern you, reverse the process and contact the named
source of concern, and initiate the questioning at the REAL point of contact
that YOU seek out. Then you know it is legit.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:24 pm

I get calls from time to time telling me my automobile warranty has expired and asked me to renew it. I answer I want to renew my 1922 Model T Ford. They hang up on me!
Norm

big2bird
First Name: Jeffrey
Last Name: Hausey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Early 23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51193
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by big2bird » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Norman Kling wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:24 pm
I get calls from time to time telling me my automobile warranty has expired and asked me to renew it. I answer I want to renew my 1922 Model T Ford. They hang up on me!
Norm
:lol: I did the same thing. :lol:

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:27 am

I get 3-4 calls a day, the screen saying from various tiny towns around the region,
asking me to verify my business with Google. The sneaky use of those town names
just tells me Google is up to no good.

With the economy being what it is around here, I get nearly as many calls and
texts, asking if I want to sell my property. When I want to sell, I'll call YOU, okay ?

Thanks ....
More people are doing it today than ever before !

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:55 am

yeah, I get at least one of the "we'll buy your house!" emails every day--now if it included an offer of, say $300,000, I'd jump all over it (that's almost double what this place is worth). The other day I had a voicemail where the caller didn't wait for the message before "speaking" and all I got was a "...if you don't call us right away we will have to issue an arrest warrant in your name." Yeash, how gullible can people be?? Today I was downtown on my laptop, using a wi-fi (the only way I can get a high-speed internet connection) when I got a beeping sound and "Your computer has been locked due to. . .. " I immediately hit the forced off/on button. When I restarted the computer, no problems, so another scam.
And I thought with the election over, my email inbox wold quiet down. . . . I may not be gullible, but apparently I am naive!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 am

Those of us who are retired, or just tired, with time to burn can have fun, especially with the car warranty folks. If I am not busy, I often do click to talk to a human. I then ask them a set of questions: does your warranty cover engines, transmissions, etc, then does your warranty cover Fords, Chevies, etc. I do, finally, ask if they will cover my 1912 Ford Model T, at which point the lines goes dead, as noted in a post above, but in the meantime I have consumed their time, which for them is $$$$$, sort of getting back at them for wasting my time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic