Your oldest favorite chainsaw?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Your oldest favorite chainsaw?

Post by Bill Dizer » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:51 pm

What's you oldest favorite, or maybe least favorite chainsaw? I just got my old Echo cs602vl running again, after several years of rest. I've owned it since the late seventies, and cut a lot of firewood with it! It suffered a melted piston after the fuel filter plugged up on it, and ran it too lean. This was 8-10 years ago, and I bought a good Stihl saw as a replacement. I found a new piston, and cleaned up the melted aluminum from the cylinder, and ran it a bit then but it wouldn't run right. I just found crank seals, and replaced them, and the fuel filter, checked the points, and it runs great again! It's a heavy brute, but lots of power, just have a 20" bar on it but it will handle up to a thirty inch bar.

So, what do you have, collect or use? I know there are saw collectors out there!

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Re: Your oldest favorite chainsaw?

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:52 pm

A Homelite 360 with a 20 and a 24 inch bar. I bought it new in 1978 and also have cut a lot of firewood with it, I paid an extra $1.25 for the plastic storage/carrying case. About 6 years ago the rubber boot that connects the carburetor and intake rotted away and everything was gone through clean/replaced when I did that, plenty of N.O.S. parts on Ebay. The thing starts easy and runs well but is man-killing heavy and the rpms are lower than modern saws so it takes longer to cut than a new saw, but I am not in a hurry or using it to make a living. Just before the boot rotted out I bought a companion saw to go with it a Stihl MS-180-C. A smaller saw, much lighter, still pretty powerful and it makes limbing a lot easier, its a great little saw. When I bought it I had them take off the 14 in bar and put on a 12 inch instead. The shorter bar keeps you from taking on jobs that the saw really shouldn't be doing.

I had a Homelite XL-100 for a long time. I don't remember ever getting rid of it I just don't know where it is. I used that to build the Summer cabin/home (1970-1971). For those not in the know, the XL-100 was a gas powered circular saw.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:33 pm

I have not used it in a long time,and I have since bought several more besides the 1 my dad has but my favorite chainsaw is the Homelite EZ-6.
LOUD and heavy.Just set the bar on the log and pull trigger,let it do the work.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Joe, I had never seen or heard of the xl100, so I looked on eBay just to see what it is. You may want to look for yours! Starting price on a half way decent one, missing the blade was $475.00, and it had 10 buyers watching it! Looks like a real handy tool!

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:10 pm

Billdizer,Spencer In wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 pm
Joe, I had never seen or heard of the xl100, so I looked on eBay just to see what it is. You may want to look for yours! Starting price on a half way decent one, missing the blade was $475.00, and it had 10 buyers watching it! Looks like a real handy tool!
It is either in the garage here at home with the rest of the power tools that I do not use anymore or in the rafters of the pole barn at the cabin it helped build. It was/is a great saw and took a little bit of planning to use it efficiently, it's not an on-off like a corded or battery saw. You would layout as much as you could and then start it up and cut away. All of the siding on the place is 6/4, rough-sawn cedar, board and batten with the battens being 4/4, definitely kind of chunky but it looks nice.

I remember the saw has a blue metal box with a sloped lid (I would always set something on it only to have it fall off after I turned my back). The exhaust on it was a big heavy cast iron piece that was angled so it would blow away the dust as you were cutting. The saw always ran smooth and easy and was never any more difficult to handle than my old worm-drive. I remember when I bought it, they also had another version/variant that you could get different attachments for it, a drill, generator and water pump. I thought about that one for a couple of days but just stuck with the circular saw. If I remember right the other one was built of of the same XL frame/engine.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Grady Puryear
First Name: Grady L
Last Name: Puryear

Post by Grady Puryear » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:10 am

Until a few years ago, I had two POULAN? chain saws, gave them away to a friend, still kicking my butt. :oops: :oops: I ran upon these years ago up in the Rockies, at the time one could find stuff like this that some poor Logger had for sale when he had ran out of work. One was triangular in shape, and it was BIG. The old boy I got it from said you could set it down on a downed log and it's weight alone would take it all the way through,don't doubt it for a minute,it was heavy! The other was a straight bar, two man one,if I remember it may have been 60"or more, and it would have taken two men for sure to operate. I tried to use them over the years, but just too big and heavy for one man, and impractical for home use. I bought them for the same reason anyone else would, they were old and had a lot of history behind them. Forgive me for not knowing their make and model, I just don't remember anymore, but I think they were POULAN. Maybe one of you Collectors will know what they were. Both ran and operated very well, and would always start on the first or at most second pull.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic