An odd question about sound.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rfunkhouser
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Funkhouser

An odd question about sound.

Post by rfunkhouser » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:05 am

Hello!

My name is Rob and I work at the Rhythm Discovery Center, a percussion museum, in Indianapolis. I was invited to register to this forum by the admin from the Model T club in order to ask you guys about something a little strange that I am hunting.

Basically I am wondering if anyone has any older brake drums from a ford that I can hear the sound of when struck. Composers started using brake drums as far back as the 30's because they were easily attainable, and apparently sounded great. People still use brake drums today, but modern brake drums sound like anvils more or less. The descriptions from earlier composers described them more like bells that had a pleasant sustain.

Does anyone have any brake drums that old? If so would you mind suspending one from a string and hitting it? Or if you're in the Indianapolis area, I would happily come record it. The sound would be kept around for our reference and help one researcher's project directly, as he is actively seeking sounds from the 20's to 40's.

Hope this isn't too weird!

Thanks,

Rob

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: An odd question about sound.

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:30 am

You will want to hear a drum from 09-25, nice sound; 26-27, a little deeper; finally a repro Rocky Mountain drum, deeper still.

I absolutely understand why they were used in music. You will get your wish pretty easily, I think.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:03 am

When I rebuilt my wheels, I clanged on my drums to hear the bell sound.
I know exactly what you mean.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

dlmyers
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 24465
MTFCI Number: 19884
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by dlmyers » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:16 am

Maybe this should be on the General Discussion Forum.
BUT since it is here I wonder if you have ever "rung" a cast iron skillet? Some of the older ones have a nice tone.
The old forums are a gold mine of information.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 am

Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:55 am

More modern brake drums sound like hitting an anvil because they are cast iron. It was discovered that cast iron has a better friction coefficient than does steel. Most brake drums during the 1920s were still steel, and will ring like a bell. While model Ts may have a desirable tone, you really want to find and compare the tones on many larger cars of the era as well. Cars like Chevrolet, small Overlands, and dozens of others will have brake drums slightly larger than a model T. I have neve rung a 1926/'27 model T brake drum, they are also larger than the earlier ones were. Years ago, I needed to work with a large Buick, and rang a couple of their brake drums (I don't have those anymore). Beautiful tone! Cars like Cadillac and Lincoln from the 1920s would have even larger brake drums. A TT truck would be another one.

Sadly, in these days of most people quickly throwing anything away that they do not know or understand, many sources of old brake drums have disappeared as pennies into the scrap recycler's pockets.

Good luck!

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:52 pm

Boy, Wayne is so correct. The other day I went to an estate clean up; the guy had collected hit-n-miss gas engine--in the hundreds and other stuff (there must be 1000 canning jars in one spot. But the family is clearing the property to sell it and wants all of it gone. Yes, they've been selling engines left and right for from $100 to $600 (most of the engines will run!), but I noticed what WAS a very nice Model A door, no rust, but they ran over it with the cat--wasn't anything they recognized. I picked up an accessory front fender brace that was just leaning against a building--scrap to them!
As for the brake drums, many folks have worn out ones that will still serve well as percussion instruments. The wear may change the frequency, but they will still ring nicely.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
rfunkhouser
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Funkhouser

Post by rfunkhouser » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:36 am

Thank you all for the kind answers, and for taking your time to look at my question.

The video above is enlightening, as I have seen music played where they have subbed in modern brake drums for older music. They couldn't be more different in terms of sound.

I would love to gather some worn ones for the museum if people have them laying around.

Sometimes working in a museum takes you to some weird corners of the internet. Happy to have found such a pleasant one here.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:29 am

I'm going to send Rob a small brake drum for his museum. If anyone has a large one sitting around that is surplus to their needs I'm sure he would be appreciative. That also goes for drums from other manufacturers of that period. Who knew there was music written in the 1920's calling for Brake Drums? I had a nice chat with Rob and am pleased to support his endeavor.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:38 pm

In the book; Three Pedals and a Lever, by Gordon Stromberg, he talks about them being used for charivari party gongs. "The emergency brake drums make a good gong for a charivari party in case some one got married" (alternatively spelled shivaree or chivaree)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:25 pm

When I was a grade school kid, the school's fire bell was made from a huge old brake drum from some kind of wooden wheeled truck. It was about 22" in diameter and about 6" deep. The apparatus was shop-made, with the drum mounted on a bolt through one of the hub bolt holes and it had a pivoting hammer device with a pull rope to smack the drum on its outer diameter. It would make you jump out of your seat anywhere inside the (1929) 3-story brick building when they rang it for fire drills. I found a very rusty model T crankshaft the other day, and when I bumped it against another metal object, it gave out a fairly loud and very pleasant ringing sound. Old spoked wireline sheaves made from manganese steel have nice tone, also.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:15 am

I saw an old episode of boxing on a TV show from back in the '50's a few years ago. The 'bell' was was a an eight hole brake drum from a 3/4 ton truck, sounded great. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic