An Electric Vehicle Company with Vision

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

An Electric Vehicle Company with Vision

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:25 pm

The growth of the Electric Vehicle Market is constrained by the availability of charging stations. If you Google TESLA CHARGING STATIONS IN add your state you might be surprised to see how many locations are in/not in your State. Now there is a Company based in China (no comments on this please) that has taken an approach to make EV cars a reality. TESLA (and other EV Manufacturers) have in-home and Parking Lot charging stations provide a solution but at the expense of time. This company, NIO, has come up with several additional concepts one of which provides for a fully charged battery swap in under 5 minutes. The also have a phone application to locate available stations and to reserve a place inline, while your headed there, in order to reduce wait time. You have to watch this video to see the complete swap cycle skip the ads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0StTrsdoD3c
So the question is "How long will it take the US to do the same?'
NIO solutions.png

To put things in perspective - there are approximately 1,200,000 pumps (150,000statsions X 8pumps per) for public use in the USA for 270 million cars/trucks spread throughout the Country. Currently there are about 100,000 public charging points (equivalent to a pump) in the US and concentrated in locations with an EV population. Well maybe not in West Virginia with 230 EV's and 244 charging points :? California has the most points with 33,000 for 257,000 vehicles.
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: An Electric Vehicle Company with Vision

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:44 pm

The charging station is not "equivalent" to a gas pump! In less than 5 minutes one can fill up a tank with gas, but it could take up to an hour or longer to charge the battery, so to me it seems like a battery exchange is a good idea if you can be guaranteed a good battery every time.
Norm

Topic author
TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Norman Kling wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:44 pm
The charging station is not "equivalent" to a gas pump! In less than 5 minutes one can fill up a tank with gas, but it could take up to an hour or longer to charge the battery, so to me it seems like a battery exchange is a good idea if you can be guaranteed a good battery every time.
Norm
I agree most "supercharging" stations,150kw stations will take at least an hour for a full charge and the more common Level 2 stations several hours. But the battery swap is a fully charged battery in under 5 minutes no waiting for a charge. I have exchanged my LP tanks for my gas BBQ grill - always a good one. I would expect that they use technology to test the batteries in the charging station after extraction - if it was bad it was one of theirs so no charge. (pun not intended). The other concept of a Vehicle Charging Station is also a novel idea, like calling AAA to fix a flat.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:41 pm

I saw a u tube video of a group that wanted to see how long it would take to drive a Tesla cross country. We first there “cross country “ was from Austin to Chicago about 1k I think they said. Google map said 17 hrs. Long story short took the 40+ hrs only stop to charge and eat.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:36 pm

That's one of the reasons for the push for more congested living conditions. The electric car is fine for driving short distances and charging when home or at work, however a couple drawbacks are: Power outages during fire season combined with evacuation which could cause people to be stranded and even cause traffic jams on evacuation routes due to dead batteries. Also people who work days and charge at night. Solar is not available during night hours, and if the wind is not blowing no wind power. Hybrid would be best for those living in areas where it is often necessary to evacuate, or where power outages are frequent. I think one promising source of electricity for coastal areas would be wave driven generators. Hydroelectric is good also unless there is drought.
Anyway, I won't be around to see the end of gasoline cars and gas stations, but future generations will be. Oh well! Our grandparents or great grandparents didn't anticipate Automobiles, television, or computers and they got along just fine.
Norm

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:34 pm

I suppose when the 200+ years of energy stored up in the US is priced and legaled out of range, we will all gladly go electric (buying cars and batteries from clever fellows who burn coal to power their factories). Smart meters will allow us the juice when it is our turn, and we'll get our allowance...everything we'll need, but never enough. Not only will our grandchildren be used to it, they'll be grateful for it. People can be made to accept most anything if the right persuasion is applied. Heck, even the Chinese were happy if they were able to find grass to eat during the height of the famines caused by their Government's control of food production (yes youngsters, that really was a "thing"). There is no entity better at knowing what you need or should have than ...

Ironic that we're celebrating the 4th of July today...we're still free to do what we're allowed to do. It's a great life.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:20 pm

Always DIVIDE (government) POWER.

Jim M.
First Name: Jim
Last Name: M.
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor Sedan

Post by Jim M. » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:16 pm

I honestly never expected my first actual post on this forum to be regarding electric vehicles! But here goes...
I've been daily driving Model 3 since 2018, and in addition to the car being on a totally different level when it comes to the driving experience, I also enjoy answering questions from curious individuals, most of whom base their knowledge on what they hear on mainstream media. The conversation often ends with a few busted myths.
I'm not saying EV's can meet everyone's expectations, and I do enjoy all sorts of different cars, personally.
So...
- The quantity of fuel pumps should not be directly compared to the quantity of public charging stations, as most EV owners typically charge at home unless embarking on a long distance trip.
- Public charging stations (Tesla Superchargers in particular) are designed primarily for interstate travel.
- Last NY to LA cannonball run (2,906 miles) made in a Tesla took around 45 hours to complete. That was prior to the version 3 250kW capable chargers.
- There is no need to charge all the way up to continue the trip. I stop to plug in around 5-10% state of charge (the car makes this super easy with a built in map of chargers and estimated state of charge upon arrival) and unplug around 50-60% (before charging speeds taper way down). Leaving with around 60% state of charge yields around 140 miles in my case, which is equivalent to over two hours of sustained freeway speeds before the next charging/restroom break stop.
My car charges from 10-50% in around 9 minutes, which is hardly enough time for me to run inside to use the facilities when travelling by myself.
I covered 600 miles in just over 10 hours including charging stops earlier this summer following this charging method.
- Battery swap was demonstrated by Tesla around 2013 or thereabout, mostly to qualify for incentives that called for the capability of and EV to recharge in under 3 minutes or so (don't quote me on this). Long story short, the station was shut down shortly thereafter since most owners at that time did not wish to gamble with the most expensive part of their car.
- It took me about a week of ownership to get over any and all range anxiety.
- Once you've owned an EV, and have become familiar with its capabilities and limitations, you quickly realize that driving a hybrid is the worst of both worlds as hauling the gas engine everywhere you go is a tremendous waste.
Bottom line is, battery swapping is not the answer for passenger vehicles, in my opinion. :D

Staged at the local cruise in
Staged at the local cruise in

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:37 am

The rotary electric motor is older tech than the internal combustion piston engine. Electrochemical batteries may be the among the oldest "high" tech of all. See: "Baghdad Battery"/

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:26 am

Henry Ford experimented with electric propulsion in 1913, there are several threads on the old forum about it, here's one :
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1511898756
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 am

When someone comes up with a really good battery, we'll all have electric VTOL planes and we'll take off from our patio roofs and land right on top of Wal Mart to shop for cool stuff and the newest in mobile devices. Every home will have a solar roof and it will all be FREE!

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pm

EV's are being recognized as the latest GREEN item for the general public. I may have missed this in the past but has there ever been a comprehensive evaluation of the total cost of the vehicle. WOMB to TOMB so to speak. If you start at the beginning of the process with cost of the raw material to make the batteries, the costs to generate charging, the cost of battery replacement, (I doubt the battery will last the average number of years most people now expect the internal combustion engine to last) and the cost of disposal of the old battery. I expect that you can't just throw it away and some process to re-manufacture will be employed or sealed containers will be used much like atomic energy waste. I recently heard of someone having to replace the battery pack in a Prius with 140,000 miles. The only place to do that is at the dealer and the cost was in the area of $6,000. I don't expect to have to spend $6,000. on my 1988 Mustang engine that has 175,000 miles with expectation that it will run for another 100,000 miles before any major engine work. That's my thinking but what do you expect from a 78 year old.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic