Why Do You Do it ?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Why Do You Do it ?

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Most of us are getting old and perhaps a little cranky with "change". Been watching the
discussion about switching over to the new forum format and it seems a lively topic for
many. This got me thinking about the old futzes around where I grew up, hollering at kids
to stay off their lawns, etc., but also a reflection of what those old dudes did for fun that
we kids had little knowledge of. Now, a half century has passed and those kids are now the
old futzes, and I find myself surrounded by young whippersnappers, and I ponder things like
this.

In this group, the old futzes (and a few young whippersnappers) find pleasure in one or more
of the many facets of owning an early car. Some might like the car show scene, some might be
trophy collectors, for others it might be something nostalgic they did with their own dad or
grandfather. Others yet, might like old tech mechanicking, while others might like racing.
Personally, I like the American "fabric" that was the steam era. From old Victorian buildings
to lighting to tools, signs, everything, I just love it. I wanted an "old fashioned car" since my
earliest years. Grandpa called them "jalopies". My friends and I found lots of rusting hulks in
the woods, fields, and ravines around our county. But a closed cab flatbed TT resting in the
implement shed at Mrs. Miller's farm over the hill from ours set the wheels in motion to want
a TT truck to use around our farm. Well, the farm came and went, and the TT would be long
in coming, but what I enjoy most about my TT is using it, wrenching on it, and all the smiles
in puts on the faces of people who see it out hauling firewood, lumber, pipe, hay, whatever.
I don't do car shows and I certainly do not want a trophy. My Dad was not an old car guy or
mechanic, and Grandpa lived 1000 miles away, so that was never a connection for me. But
I thought it would be interesting to hear other's personal stories of what draws them to old
car ownership and what activities provide the "happy place" for them.

DSC05522.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Why Do You Do it ?

Post by James_B_NC » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 am

I work on my T because it belonged the my Great-Grandparents and the heap of junk was neglected all the way down the line to me. It's been fun getting it running and repairing what I can. Still haven't gotten to drive it though. :(
The forum's resident Millennial.

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:48 am

Burger I am a retired Sailor (U.S.Navy Ordnanceman) I have always enjoyed old Iron either motorcycles or cars but didn't get into "T's" until 2011. My first marriage only lasted a couple of years due to conflicts between her and I over my cars. When I got married to #2 I told her I am a Sailor, I will be gone a lot. When I am home it will be either "Cars or Bars" doesn't matter because we will probably end up flat broke with nothing to show for it other than a silly smile. She chose cars with the stipulation that I could have any old car I wanted as long as I didn't finance it. September will be 38 years, I think I gonna keep her. :D
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

dlmyers
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 24465
MTFCI Number: 19884
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by dlmyers » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:56 am

In Pennsylvania one of the restrictions of having antique license plates on a truck is that you cannot use it to haul anything.
A display of old junk that you take to a car show would probably be OK but a load of lumber might get you pulled over.
The old forums are a gold mine of information.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am

Why ?!? Why ? You ask ?!? I don't really know. I was born this way, and just don't know any better, I guess. It ain't easy being a misfit. A native aversion toward most things post-1925 (and many, many post 1885) has caused me to be called a "purist" (there's no insult more vile on this forum) and a "brass snob" by folks who should be my friends. Honest, I just prefer "old" in any condition. I don't care if you retrofit starters, alternators, computer ignition or a jet engine in your model T. I don't want 'em, don't need 'em, don't like 'em, but it doesn't mean I think I'm "right" or better than those who do. :lol:
"Get a horse !"

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:03 pm

First and foremost, is the mental defect... :P
Myself, I was hauled around in the backseat of my touring car from diapers to teen years. Helping the old man and watching/learning.
Going to swap meets and auctions, digging through barn floors...
I am the youngest and probably had more quality time with my dad than my 2 much older siblings. And I am a gear head, 35 years doing mechanical and body repairs, on modern stuff mostly.
I have always been drawn to the Ts and enjoy keeping the old girl roadworthy and telling onlookers about the cars.
I have officially owned my car for less than a year, but have gotten it mechanically sound and plan to drive it as much as I can.
It's a great hobby and for those "hands on" people, a rewarding experience.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:32 pm

An old 30s sedan sitting in a yard and a fireman letting me sit in the leather seat and clutch the huge steering wheel of a '30 American La-France ruined my life. I was never the same after. The silent comic films taught me there was something wonderful and humorous about Ts and other old cars. Had I done my homework rather than gathering parts and assembling cars I might have made something of my life. Having put some antiques together for my old age has been a treat. Our breakfast was interrupted twice this morning by folks asking questions about the old car out front of the restaurant. I'm sure there are better things in life but I'm fine with these. Knowing the folks who also enjoy these is a wonderful thing.
Thanks for bringing this to mind.
Rich
When did I do that?

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:40 pm

From the time I could walk and keep up, I followed dad around the junk yards searching for parts. Yup I said junk yards as you all know. Parts to keep the family car on the road as well as his old cars.

On our quest, he would point out cars and tell me year,make and model. Which ones were like the ones he had owned. We even traded up sometimes at the "junk yards". We never had a garage at home till my teen years. My grand dads pole building with his forge, hand crank drill press and many other mysterious ancient tool he used were all housed in that barn. Dad and I used the barn if it had to be fixed and it was bad weather. The floor was about 2 inches of fine powdery dirt, like talc. If you dropped it, it was gone. I learned alot in that old barn. How to hold the light so not to shine it in dads eyes and not to burn his arm with it. What the wrench sizes were and not to give him the wrong one. How to dodge the wrong wrench. A few new words I had never heard and got in trouble for useing this new vocabulary.

Playing in old parts cars with my brother and friends for hours. Dreaming of the day we owned our own "old cars" and could really drive them. Dad was a chevy guy all the way but my uncles had A's and T's and boy they were old compared to my dads 40's and 50's cars.

I guess banging my head on rusty hoods and frames with rust in the eyes along with the smell of old sun baked interiors must have messed me up pretty bad. Could be chewing on the crib with lead paint on it, not quite sure.

I have had my share and more old cars. Streetrods, original from 20's to 60's but these T's are a real problem. The dang thing always need something done and then they multiply like rabbits. They have taken over two building now and working on a 3rd. Shhhh dont tell the wife! I have 4 complete T's now. I call it step 4 in a 12 step program. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Now where did I put my marbles?

Topic author
Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:19 pm

I really enjoy the *startling" effect seeing my truck seems to have on those who
see it out and around. It is always a positive thing. Kinda jolting people out of the
stupor of going through life and everything looks the same. They see this thing and
it really puts a happy face on them. Those that stop to ask questions support my
observation of an almost "shocked" response that something SO old is still out there
doing its thing. I often joke that if aliens landed a flying saucer out front, it would
get a similar response, only with the TT, there is a lot of joy to go with the curiosity.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:58 pm

I have always loved mechanical stuff. Dad joined the local model t club and I would go along to be able to spend some time with him on the weekends. The model T's are a perfect fit. I also love being able to get a small glimpse of early days as well. Dad will be turning 87 this year, he still drives his 26 touring car, weather permitting. :)
i phone 5-5-16 347.jpg
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm

It tickles me when I read how Burger and Rich have fun responses, making friends and giving smiles when they're out and about in a Model T. I have no doubt that's an option anytime you take one out anywhere people congregate. My own experience is a little different. Lizzie only goes down the country roads around our place, out for a "spin" or on farm errands, chasing water or mending fence. Often, folks we pass will smile and wave (especially if they're in the fields or in their yards) but on the road, we seem to be invisible to other drivers . . . (?) Once, last fall, we happened on a TV crew filming a commercial for the local feed store. On the spur of the moment, the owner wanted to have Lizzie in his commercial, so they filmed their help loading up the runningboard carrier with my purchases. My dog Hannah "photo bombed" their production . . . that was fun ! Unfortunately, I never got to see the commercial ! :cry:
"Get a horse !"

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 am

Why? Because I'm getting older and realize that the slower, simpler ways of the past are a lot nicer to deal with than a rush hour rat race lifestyle. I'm retired, don't have to be anywhere "right now" and if I need to be someplace on time I can leave earlier and take the back roads and have a smile on my face when I get there.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:07 am

Why? My old buddy (RIP) and I listened to the "old guys" talking about T's when we were in our pre teen years in the early '60's and got hooked. When we found out there were books (by Floyd Clymer) that were available, we bought every one that we could find. My parents thought we were nuts, but to them it was just old junk. They had lived through the Depression and just didn't understand our fascination with "junk". My family doesn't really understand either, but they do tolerate it. :) Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:28 am

Dave, I suppose your family likes the new garage in place of the old wood cab TT? They just dont understand.
I seen alot of things at your place but no junk. Just treasure. Im a little twisted to! :D

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:50 pm

Why? Why, indeed. What got me interested in "the old days"? Was it listening to The Cisco Kid and The Lone Ranger on the radio?

ROY & TRIGGER.jpg
Was it going to Roy's movies?

dc450eea8a5af6643ad3bd4563ad8878.jpg

Whatever it was, by the time I got to Holling C. Holling's Real Book of Cowboys when I was seven, I was pretty well hooked on cowboys, and by extension, Old Times.

KNOTTS.jpg

For my eighth birthday I got cowboy duds. I wore them to the ghost town at Knott's, where I posed with Mike and Grandma.

IMG_2739.JPG

You're supposed to read a selection from your reading text each day, but in sixth grade I read Engine Whistles straight through, just for fun.

IMG_2740.JPG

I loved the little drawings in the margins, showing items from daily life in earlier times.

That's how I started my journey into the past. It took me to real radio (drama, variety, comedy), traveling the Oregon Trail and other historic sites, old farming, and a Packard. Eventually it took me to the Model T, which now takes me many places in fine obsolete style.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:08 pm

I think you and I came to Model T's on the same path. I was more interested
in early railroads and mechanical things than I was in cowboys, per se, but was
also very enamored by books about "old" and the pictures in the margins. One
such example:

O&RM Tel Co. 1 .jpg

This photo of Otto Mears' toll road over Red Mountain was an early source of
much stim. My imagination soared. When I was able to finally go there, I found
that pole in the bottom of the canyon, tossed away as refuse by a road crew when
they blasted for two lanes. I restored it to its original 1880 configuration and it
now helps keep the ambiance of the shop with my T.

You made my day with your post. Thanks Steve.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:27 am

My children would lament about the sound and smell of a two cycle Arctic Cat snowmobile engine, especially a Wankel rotary engine. My son knows those old engines and sleds well too. They still love the sounds and smells of the IH UD-16 gas start Diesel engined Galion motor grader and are well versed in antique gas engine and four cylinder engine sights/sounds/smells.
I was born to it. Near stuck with it.
Model T’s and antiQ’s forever on my mind yet my dad and brother are carpenters. I work on old iron instead.
Every carpentry job I’ve done holds an out of square signature of mine.
I do love my subspace time with the intricacies of Twin City tractors, Fairbanks Morse engines, these wonderful model T Fords and rediscovering it all every day. :)
Mindless babbling from this fellow. :lol:
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic