New Faith

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

New Faith

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:30 am

I know a lot of us to include myself see this new younger generation as a bunch of no good no clue people. Well lately I have been hit hard by the stick of reality when I see young people such as Shane (NH), Brad (VA), and Chris and the young man with the Nuttin’ Special.

My community definitely as more stereotypes to fit the bill. Due to a great club, forum, and of course the internet with other technologies, I see a New Faith in the hobby.

Remember, we where also judge by our elders once upon a time too. As I told young troops of the military, “The dumb question you did not ask, may get you or the person next to you killed”. So with that said, they are using the “device” (phone) as a tool just like a manual for reference.

As old folks, stubborn as we are, must be able to foster at what ever it takes and submit to a point of common ground in order to preserve for future generations.

Maybe old age has it’s advantages with patience and re-evaluation. This is just my take and I am humbled. Some of you younger guys have been in contact with me and I am here to mentor as needed.

Hats of Youngin’s!

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Re: New Faith

Post by 46woodduck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:16 am

Well said Hank. I'll be turning 73 in a little over two weeks and have noticed that most of the younger folks aren't really interested in getting their hands dirty playing with old cars, but just when you are about to give up you will find some kid who is really interested in the "time travel" aspect of learning how to do it and it does give hope that not everyone is stuck in the concept of living in a video game. It's up to us old guys who grew up playing with old cars to pass on the joy we have and keep the fires burning. Living in the past is a good way to avoid going crazy in the present.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:08 am

Most of my employees are recently out of the military, and young. I only hire vets
for several reasons, but from a performance standpoint, I want people who have Drill
Instructor experience. I DO NOT want to coddle wimps and those who dwell in their
"inner feelings". I want people capable of kicking in doors and doing what needs to be
done without having their hand held.

As it relates to this subject, ALL that I do hire get sat down with a beer and a pizza
and the rest of the crew and get grilled on what Duty and Honor are, and what it means
in their own lives. I let the crew decide as much as I do, who is a good fit and who is
destined for a retail assistant manager position somewhere else. My guys are disgusted
with the mamby-pamby whiners of their own generation, but speak the lingo and can
relate. They, themselves, think the world is doomed, because of all the PC and general
lack of manhood going on today. They do me proud. There may be hope for a few, but
it is just a few, indeed. Most younguns today worship a different idol than the traditional
values set that made America great. This is directly from guys that age that I work with
every day.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Tom Hicks
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:08 am
Most of my employees are recently out of the military, and young. I only hire vets
for several reasons, but from a performance standpoint, I want people who have Drill
Instructor experience. I DO NOT want to coddle wimps and those who dwell in their
"inner feelings". I want people capable of kicking in doors and doing what needs to be
done without having their hand held.

As it relates to this subject, ALL that I do hire get sat down with a beer and a pizza
and the rest of the crew and get grilled on what Duty and Honor are, and what it means
in their own lives. I let the crew decide as much as I do, who is a good fit and who is
destined for a retail assistant manager position somewhere else. My guys are disgusted
with the mamby-pamby whiners of their own generation, but speak the lingo and can
relate. They, themselves, think the world is doomed, because of all the PC and general
lack of manhood going on today. They do me proud. There may be hope for a few, but
it is just a few, indeed. Most younguns today worship a different idol than the traditional
values set that made America great. This is directly from guys that age that I work with
every day.

Wow, how times have changed. Back in the 80's I had many apprentices who had militry experience. The main difference I found between them and someone fresh out of high school was the veterans were a little more mature due to age.

But they fit in with whatever crew I had, no problem. They didn't necessarily like everyone, but they respected everyone. Same as everyone else. One would not know they were veterans if they didn't say they were. They did not sit around at lunch telling war stories. They didn't talk military speak. Some were excellent workers, some I had to send down the road, overall the main difference was the veterans were a little older and more mature.

If I had a bunch of guys like you are describing they would be down the road in a heartbeat. I hope the guys you are training will be able to fit in the regular work force sometime in the future.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Well Tom, as usual, you seem to think your way is the only way, and everyone
who sees things differently is wrong. Your sideways insults are all too obvious. :lol:

Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm
Well Tom, as usual, you seem to think your way is the only way, and everyone
who sees things differently is wrong. Your sideways insults are all too obvious. :lol:
Interesting perspective.

But I think we are dealing with different vets. I started apprenticeship in '72 and worked for guys who were in 'Nam. Most had been drafted. I do not remember any of them using GI speak or acting as DI's. About half of my apprenticeship class was vets, they got preference in getting into the apprenticeship program and their pay was subsidized by taxpayers under the GI Bill. They typically were not at the top of the class. Talking to them like a DI would have been a mistake, they had done that crap and wanted to move on. But these guys had been through a lot of testing before being accepted, the Apprenticeship Committee did not just accept anyone who applied.

The vets who worked for me as mechanics would not have listened to any DI bs. They did their time, they deserved respect, not stupid crap. And I gave them respect, I never ordered any of them to do anything. Most of these guys had been in 'Nam, they were good workers who only needed to know what "we" needed to do today. Then give the tools and materials and leave them alone while they did the job.

My apprentices were mostly from after the draft, they were volunteers. Good guys, not college material, but for the most part good people. Some I had to let go, but the same for high school kids who went into the apprenticeship. And the Apprentice Committee had screened them carefully.

What you are dealing with sounds entirely different. Many who can not make it in civilian life do well in the structure of the military. If you have to use DI language with your employees and they "get grilled on what Duty and Honor are", they are not ready for civilian employment. It sounds to me like they lack self-respect. They would not put up with that crap otherwise. They need to learn to stand on their own two feet and be able to hold a job without all that military crap.

It is good of you to work with these guys Many who went into the military in the first place because they struggled in civilian roles, but it would be best if they could do well after getting out without having to be constantly ordered about.

Good job on working with these people, they definitely need help and we owe them that as a country.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Topic author
Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:48 pm

I think this thread got little off course as I was complimenting some of the younger members.

As far as leadership styles, I was once one of those hands down real A$$H0!E types but treat others with respect
and if they don’t return it go on. It is not worth high blood pressure or anything else for that matter.

I have to go where needed with respect. If I have to use an authoridated approach now, then I am working in a correction facility. Just not my personal cup of tea anymore.

This thread is about the younger guys with moxie. Again, Hats Off Guys.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:09 pm

And at least one of those fellows you mentioned is in the military. A fine, hard working young man who knows a lot about T's. With an uncle who knows a lot MORE about T's.

And I don't think anyone would want to go DI on either of them...

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:40 am

I am a Vietnam vet, drafted in '69 and got out in '71. Trust me, if I EVER had a boss that acted like a DI, he would have a flat nose and I would be on my way. I will NEVER be disrespected like that again. I don't even refer to anyone in uniform as "Sir" anymore either, as I don't have too. No disrespect intended, I just feel that I deserve as much respect as they do. That's just the way I feel, and have since '69. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:40 am

I don't even refer to anyone in uniform as "Sir" anymore...

"Don't call me Sir. I work for a living." ~ Sergeant Fritz, Korea, 1965 :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:56 am

Sorry you feel that way, David. Personally, I'd just laugh in their face. No one has that sort of
power over me, and the absurdity of anyone thinking they do is fertile ground for lots of humor.

==========================

The DI reference I made way back is all done in jest. We have fun. My old man was a DI. He
was a mean SOB and scared the hell out of us kids. By the time we were 6-7 years old, we were
used to being beaten. Yelling was nothing. So, when some barker came along in life later, it was
pretty funny actually. I was 19 and had been out on my own for over a year when it all ended. Dad
thought he could talk that way to a girlfriend of mine, and it ended poorly for him. He never did
treat any of us kids well, but the physical stuff ended that day. My point ? .....

There is stuff you take seriously, and then there is fun. Life is too #@! short to take everything
so seriously. Like this very subject we are talking about. I want and specifically seek out people
who know what is serious, and what is not. This world is rapidly filling up with wimpy adult-aged
"man"-boys whose feelings get in the way of every action in life. They react to minor annoyances
like they are earth-ending catastrophies, and would fall to pieces if a real threat ever came their
way. It is repulsive.

Those of us that work together on my team, are not going to get our boxers in a bunch because
somoene else on the crew does a DI-style call out on their "preference", clothing, decision making,
whatever. We know we are all on one team, that the outburst is absurd, and we laugh like hell over
the mockery of how DI's will make a massive scene out of nothing. I let them know this is how we
roll in the first interview, and not a single person yet has NOT said directly, that they like that kind
of playful, yet work-focused atmosphere. It gives them clear direction, no mealy-mouth coms, and
they know where they stand on work and the joking around relief in having fun with each other.
These guys have confidence, move as a unit, help each other, and no one gets a hurt feeling because
someone said some harsh words.

I refer to men (not wimps) as "Sir". Women as "Ma'm". Entirely out of respect. And I do so until we
become some level of friends, or they prove themselves unworthy of my respect. My guys carry it
forward. I think this world is becoming evermore disrespectful, from wearing one's pajamas in public
to tagging and vandalism to the simple way people talk to each other. My clients often comment on
how respectful my guys are in a business that is often "rough". Most of my clients are repeat clients,
and I have never advertised. It is all by referral. Something tells me this approach of how to treat
my guys and how to move in the world is a good plan.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:27 pm

I was a little surprised today.
Cable technician was out fixing my phone...again :evil:
But I think this fellow was a little more smarter than the others who had been here.
My modem etc is in the garage, the tech (30s I guess) walked in and right away says... "WOW, that's a nice Model T !!"
I think he's the first person to not ask, "is it a Model A ?" :(
I asked how he knew a T from an A, he says "I'm not an idiot !!" Must've been a lot of idiots here prior !! :lol:
He seemed pretty interested and I started it up for him, he seemed to enjoy that also. Only problem I saw, was he also said he was a Chevy guy. I told my Ford, he didn't really mean it after he left.... :D

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Hey, nothing wrong with a nice late-teens 490 Chevy !

I haven't owned my truck THAT long, and I am a few life cycles away from looking
like "Father Time", but my favorite comment from a clueless public is being asked
if I am the original owner. Now, to be fair, this would not seem so out of line with
someone under the age of 30 or so. But so far, that question has come from folks I
think are way too old to not know better ! I also get asked if it is a (model year) a
lot. Often they are SO far off ! The most extreme was "1975". :lol: Funny stuff.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:27 pm

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:05 pm
Hey, nothing wrong with a nice late-teens 490
Pretty sure that's not what he was thinking. :mrgreen:

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:33 am

I also get asked if it is a (model year) a lot.

I've been asked more than once if my 1915 runabout was a '34. Why 1934? I have no idea.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic