player piano self playing piano

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

player piano self playing piano

Post by tdump » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:01 pm

I vaguely remember someone here that worked on organs or player pianos and a friend of mine has 2 boxes of rolls of music for 1 of those self playing pianos and I was hoping to help him sell them or find a market for them.I know nothing about them.
If that person is still here email me,I can't post the photos I have because to large. and neither of us know enough about them,other than not throw them out of course.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: player piano self playing piano

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:54 am

David Dewey restores player pianos and is a professional piano tuner.

shadetree
First Name: ward
Last Name: sherwood

Post by shadetree » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:51 pm

I probably have 7 or 8 dozen player rolls, and they don't seem to be worth much. Check ebay, there are many for sale.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:32 pm

Whoa, what goes on when I'm not here? Am working on a player piano right now, actually.
So, it depends on what type of rolls you have and what condition they are in. As "shadetree" noted, most are not worth much. I recently bought 400 for $250, and I think I paid too much now that I'm going through them! Lots of poor condition rolls in the pile, and not many "popular" songs. Ones I look for, or myself are ones made for Recordo, Ampico, and Welte (usually labeled as "Deluxe"). Christmas rolls are also popular, especially right now. Nice thing about piano rolls is they can be shipped Media class as they are considered Musical Recordings.
Well, off to a Pipe Organ demonstration, I'll try to check in later tonight before I go home. Tommorrow is a toy train show, so I won't be back near a wi-fi until late in the day.
T'ake care!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

david_dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor

Post by david_dewey » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:33 pm

Ps If you want to hear some player pianos, I have two recordings on my Facebook page, and there are LOTS on U-tube.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:05 am

Well I thought I had this thing set to alert me when a reply happened.
I just tried to attach pic and of course, to large. So I will try to get them shrunk and try again.I told this fellow not to expect to "win" the lottery but at least sell them to someone who will know what they are.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am

There is a second box which I did not photo with the same amount in it. The Prisoners song and Pleasure boat are 2 names I remember reading.
Attachments
third dang try.jpg
resize piano roll 1.jpg

david_dewey

Post by david_dewey » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:30 pm

Hmm, I didn't get back here very quickly, did I--I could blame it on Covid, but it's really my lousy dial-up internet connection! Yes, my internet is like a Model T!
Well, there are probably some nice rolls in there. Connerized are usually good arrangements, Scott Joplin recorded some of those rolls, Vocalstyles are nice too-especially their colorful leaders. I am buried in rolls right now, I probably have 1,000 "extra" rolls of various kinds and conditions. The good thing about piano rolls is they are considered "musical recordings" and can be shipped by media mail--however some postal clerks don't understand that, so it is a good idea to label the box as such so the box isn't opened and rejected by a newer clerk that doesn't know the rules! I lost some nice rolls in such a deal, some finally came to me as "found loose" in a sorting facility--hmm, if found "loose" how did they know they were being mailed to me?? And yes, they arrived here damaged some. BTW, Media Mail is like 4th class and can be slooooow.
There is an internet group called Mechanical Music Digest, which is probably the best place to market these, short of Craig's List or Facebook Marketplace. https://www.mmdigest.com/Contact is their website contact info.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic