Should I buy a Dodge Brothers?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
colonelpowers
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Powers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor

Should I buy a Dodge Brothers?

Post by colonelpowers » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:46 pm

I have been looking for another T and can't seem to find anything that isn't junk or overpriced in my area. A fellow recently offered me what seems like a fair price on a 23 DB coupe. The car is pretty much original but the engine was rebuilt a few years ago and started up but then they never did anything else with it. I love T's, I generally can sort out whatever comes up with one and if I can't I always have all of y'all to help out. I have never considered anything else until now. I don't know if parts are readily available, but I doubt it. I don't know if I could reliably keep it on the road and trust it on long trips. I have had some pretty worn out T's but after getting the basics sorted out I have never had an issue that stranded me on the side of the road. I have always been able to fix whatever on the road and make it back. I don't know if you could do that with anything that old except a Ford. Of course if you had the money for a full restoration you could drive most any early car with relative confidence. I don't guess that I will ever be able to own anything that is perfect and will always drive the ugly old cars that are survivors. If you have any advice or know of any good T's near Southwest Virginia please let me know.

Thanks and God Bless

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Re: Should I buy a Dodge Brothers?

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:14 pm

Here's me in my 1929 Dodge Brothers DA.

PICT0100.JPG
PICT0110.JPG

Yes, later and a 6 cylinder, but the pre-Fast Four in the '23 is a very reliable and underrated engine. Top speed is close to a comfortable 40-45 MPH, you can push it higher, but I wouldn't. Compared to the Model T, definitely a more "sturdy" feeling car and smoother riding, but not too much faster. Parts are available, not as many vendors and sources as a Model T or Model A, but parts are available and there is a good club with a news letter and guys that post regularly on the AACA Forum. The most difficult/troublesome thing that I ever had to contend with on a DB 4 cylinder is the starter-generator. A combined unit that works well, it is just getting it to the "well" point. The only other issue might be the radiator, but that is an issue with just about any antique car though.

Any trip you would venture in a Model T would be no problem for a '23 DB. If you are looking for something a bit faster, look later. The later Fast Four cars have a better engine, but are heavier and top speeds are about the same. Dodge Brothers started with hydraulic brakes in 1927. Any repair that you can do/undertake on a Model T, you can do on a Dodge Brothers as well. The DA in the photos will comfortably do 50-60 MPH (open flat road) with a 6 cylinder (60+ horsepower) and 3-speed transmission. The most difficult/expensive things on this car is the ignition (North East, right before the switch to Delco-Remy, a lot of one year only stuff) and the carburetor, pot-metal Stromberg U-2, we won't talk about that.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:42 pm

Hmmmm, well my father once owned a 1929 Wolseley Colonial. This was a large straight 6 engined car made by Wolseley of the UK (which was actually an off shoot of an Australian sheep shearing equipment manufacturer) with things like high ground clearance, large fuel tank, folding front seats (to make a bed in the car) and roller blinds on each window - all you need for long distance travel off in the colonies.

AND it was built around a '29 Dodge DA body..........

(The smaller car is a 1936 Wolseley which have owned since 1989)

1990 060.jpg
1990 058.jpg

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:24 am

My grandparents (married in 1908, died in 1960) owned six cars in their lives, a 1915 Dodge, a 1928 Dodge, a 1936 Dodge, a 1941 Dodge, a 1950 Dodge and a 1956 Chrysler. I think it's safe to say they would approve your buying the Dodge. :D

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:41 am

For his "modern car", my dad was a Dodge guy, until the parking lot guard at Ford Tractor, Highland Park, started to make him park at the very back of the lot. Big lot... long walk. He then bought a new 1969 Ford LTD.

Nothing wrong with owning an antique Dodge, as long as there are clubs & tours available to you so that you can enjoy it. I have a 1924 Buick Sedan. It's a great car that I really like, but there are no Buick clubs in my area that have activities. (There actually is one I guess, but nobody has anything older than the 60's) Years ago, I took the Buick on a couple of T tours... but they made me park at the back of the lot :lol:

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:11 pm

I live in Portland Oregon, our Model T Club is inclusive of all brands makes and models of collector/vintage/antique cars. :lol: Non collector cars, AKA moderns, do have to stay in the back on tours but are welcome to join in.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
colonelpowers
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Powers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor

Post by colonelpowers » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 pm

I am going to try to make a deal on the 23 Dodge, I think. Is there anything that I should be sure to look for or look out for? Any red flags that I should be aware of?

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic