Solar Eclipse - Ohio

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Solar Eclipse - Ohio

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm

Wow! The hype, warnings, and craziness surrounding the upcoming April 8th eclipse is something to behold. If the skies look to be clear my wife and I would like to drive from our home in Michigan's Thumb to a point in Ohio where we can view the totality for a decent period. I know about the event in Richmond but that is a lot longer drive for just a day trip. For example, Findlay, Ohio, is 3.5 hours compared to 6 hours to Richmond.

I wonder if any of our Ohio friends can recommend a location / venue that would have space for a couple of Michiganders and their folding chairs? We don't want to spend the eclipse driving around looking for a place to park :D
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: Solar Eclipse - Ohio

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:32 pm

Oldav8tor wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 pm
I wonder if any of our Ohio friends can recommend a location / venue that would have space for a couple of Michiganders and their folding chairs? We don't want to spend the eclipse driving around looking for a place to park :D
Tim,

Jeffery's Antique Mall, in Findlay, OH, right next to the freeway, has a large parking lot where I'm sure nobody would mind a couple Michiganders, gandering at the sky. And besides that, it's a great antique mall!

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:49 am

Hey Tim,

Appears that your best bet would be Norwalk, OH.

schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Post by schwabd1 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:14 pm

Hey Tim, I thought you’d get a few more responses…. Supposedly traffic after the “event” is supposed to be a nightmare. In the path of totality the schools and a lot of businesses are closing. They’re expecting traffic jams after as everybody that came from wherever departs for home. They are also warning of people stopping right on the highways and getting out of their cars to check out the “total darkness”. I think the max time for that is about 4 minutes in a couple places. Around Toledo I think it’s around 2 minutes, although from start to finish is I think about 2 1/2 hours. Anyway, another place not as far as Findlay or Richmond would be Holland, OO, a suburb on the west side of Toledo. They are having a big event in their park for the eclipse (one of the girls from the office lives there and said there are already a couple campers set up). The nice thing there is it’s in the path of totality, but on the outside edge and about 2 miles to get out in the country if you east to take the back roads back up to Michi….. Mic….. Michig….. That state up north (you have to be a Buckeye’s fan to understand!) a couple miles west, north until you cross the line, a couple miles east and you cross Rt 23.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic