Three in one.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Petrah Phyre
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Pownall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 52944
Board Member Since: 2021

Three in one.

Post by Petrah Phyre » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:05 pm

Opinions on a 3 in 1 lathe, mill, press for the work needing to be performed for the Model T. I know they are limited, but there is one in good shape in my area for $250. Maybe as something to start with?

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Re: Three in one.

Post by Craig Leach » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:41 am

Hi Sean,
I have a Smithy Granite 1340 that I picked up for a lot more than that @ a estate sale. Combo machines have their limits as long as you know
that they are better than no machine. You will not find machines very often for that low of a price. If it's all there & works I would get it.
In fact if you don't get it let some others know, I'm sure they are interested Be very a where that lathes & mills are like model T's one is never
enough. My Smithy is not my go to machine, but it does have a large enough spindle hole to do drive shafts & axles that my other lathe is not
suitable for.
Craig.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:05 am

The most important words here...
...for $250. Maybe as something to start with?
I say go for it. Hard to go wrong for that price. Does it come with any tooling? All the better bargain if it does!

Topic author
Petrah Phyre
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Pownall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 52944
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Petrah Phyre » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:29 pm

Thanks for the input. I was a bit too slow and some other lucky guy (or gal) picked it up. We'll keep looking.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:52 pm

I wound up with a Harbor Freight 3 in 1 machine a long time ago as it came in a purchased lot of other stuff. I gave it to my in law to mess with making small wood turnings and metal spinnings. It still had cosmoline on it and looked to have been new. This machine was a better curse than any witch could have conjured. The mill spindle motor burst into flame at the first switch, the lathe spindle would slowly stall as the bearings built up heat, and all the slides were so tight you couldn’t turn them with a breaker bar. He/we put much time into “fixing” this freebie piece of junk, and it is now only slightly better.

Hold out for a real Smithy if you can. A little more money will buy a lot more quality. If you missed out on an old H/F model… yur better off

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic