Enclosed Trailer Removable Winch Mount?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Enclosed Trailer Removable Winch Mount?

Post by HaroldRJr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:52 pm

I would be interested is seeing photos of electric winches that have been mounted inside enclosed trailers. I already have the winch, and would like to devise some way to secure the winch at the head end of my ENCLOSED trailer in some manner that would allow me to quickly and easily dis-attach the winch after I've used it and get it out of the way. I keep watching Freighter Jims excellent photos of his activities, hoping to see a photo of his winch arrangement, but as yet, I have never seen an actual photo of his enclosed trailer winch set-up. As he is very careful to utilize all interior space inside his enclosed trailer, I am just assuming that he has some arrangement whereby he can get the winch out of the way when not needed,....???

Freighter Jim,....or anybody else,......???

Topic author
HaroldRJr

Re: Enclosed Trailer Removable Winch Mount?

Post by HaroldRJr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:05 pm

I should probably add that I have already installed a very nice MinnKota trolling motor battery box with deep cell battery inside, on the floor in the very front of my vee-nose enclosed trailer. This MinnKota trolling motor battery box has two cigarette lighter sockets for plugging in 12 volt accessories, and two (positive & negative) external wing-nut terminals to which I can quickly & easily attach my 12 volt winch power leads. One of many nice features of this trolling motor battery box is that all power output connections are circuit breaker protected, and the battery box also has a convenient push-button indicator to enable you to quickly determine the "state-of-charge" of the battery. This battery box is a very nice set-up for about $50 bucks,....FYO,.....harold

Now,....if I can just figure out how to mount my winch with some kind of quick dis-connect set-up, hopefully utilizing the pair of longitudely mounted E-tracks that run full length of my vee nose trailer!

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:53 pm

I attached my winch to a 1-7/8” trailer coupler. Then I installed trailer balls at the front of my trailers (1 open, 1 closed). Easy to move the winch to where I need it, and even to the back of my truck once

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:58 pm

I have the same mounts in/on both my trailers - large "D" ring mounted through the flooring up front with reinforcements under and a "special" steel tubular winch mount with an "eyelet" up front - just drop the winch over the "D" ring, insert hitch pin and winch away ! I wired up regular battery jumper clamps to my winch contactor (wireless Warn) to hook up the battery - piece of cake & quick in & out !

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 pm

I mounted mine on a "reese" hitch receiver that I inverted on the tongue bracing. The winch is mounted on a platform specifically designed to be removed when not in use. I purchased the platform from Harbor Freight.

I normally keep my winch with my Blazer for tow out purposes.

I also have a winch mount the utilized a keyhole type mount that slips down over the hitch ball and will pivot about 45* each way. You might try that type and amount a ball close to the "V" nose.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Had my front axle straightened today as part of refurbishing the spindle bushings, etc. The gent doing it pointed out that he often sees them bent in the middle from people attaching a tow cable (or winch) to the center. I've thought that if I ever wanted to use a winch I'd try to divise some kind of "Y" strap attached to the ends of the axle where it is stronger.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:03 am

My winch is mounted on a piece of 3/8" aluminum plate and attaches to a bracket bolted to the floor of both my open and enclosed trailers using two
½" socket head cap screws. Just takes a few minutes to move from one to the other. Trailer receiver is probably the easy, practical way to do it but . . . . .

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:53 am

Hi Harold,

Thanks for the kind words.

You mentioned you already had a winch.

I will offer my perspective to those folks who only haul Model T vehicles:

Starting with the winch - I recommend this one for Model T vehicles - it is rated at 2500 pounds and has in integrated
wireless remote ( you can get a winch mounting plate and roller fairlead separately ).

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 61297.html

I keep my winch fixed at the front center adjacent to a 12VDC deep cycle marine battery that is constantly
trickle charged from the tow vehicle.

I don't think you would have much extra room to be gained by removing a small winch.

My winch mounts in the same manner as the above set up - it is a 12K rated winch.

I mount the winch on top of the winch mounting plate that is - in turn - mounted on a piece of dimensional
lumber the same footprint as the winch mounting plate ( this allows the roller fairlead to clear the floor ).

I run grade 5 or 8 machine bolts with fender washers & lock washers from the bottom underside of the trailer
up thru the floor.

FJ

file-123.jpeg
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 am

My winch (not wench, alas) is mounted on the side of the vee-nose, always out of the way. There is a D-ring installed in the center of the floor, to which I attach a snatch block as fairlead for the winch cable. Rather than having to move the winch, I simply remove the snatch block which then lives in the permanently mounted tool box on the other side of the vee-nose. The battery box is on the floor immediately next to the winch. It seems to work. Rather than attaching the winch cable to the center of the axle, I always put a short strap through the center of the front frame (earlier cars have no splash plate there). This arrangement then does not stress the wishbone ball joint. Ditto when strapping down the car in the trailer.

Tom Loftfield
Brevard, NC

Topic author
HaroldRJr

Post by HaroldRJr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Thank you all,....good ideas here! And thank you "Freighter Jim",....the HF winch you recommend specifically for loading Model T's is the winch I have. I also use a HF snatch block in conjunction with the winch when (or if) additional power is needed; half the speed and half the range, but twice the power! I had not thought of using an additional snatch block as a "fairlead" as suggested above,....however that thought provokes additional possibilities,.....thanks again all,.....harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic