Wheel Dollies

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
CatGuy
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Hunt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Runabout

Wheel Dollies

Post by CatGuy » Thu May 26, 2022 12:48 pm

I am looking to buy Wheel Dollies to move my vehicles around the garage. I'll either be moving my '28 A or '26 T or '55 Chevy truck. When the rating says it's good for 1,000 pounds is that at each wheel? Would 4 of them hold up a 3,000+ truck? Or do I need ones rated for the total weight of the truck?

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Wheel Dollies

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu May 26, 2022 2:54 pm

I believe the wheel dolly ratings are per wheel. 4 dollies rated at 1,000 lbs each would probably do to move a 4,000 lb truck on a smooth, flat floor. Keep in mind that most pickups are nose heavy when unloaded. A typical V8 pickup weighing around 4000 lb might carry 2700 lb on the front wheels and 1300 on the rear wheels, or 1350 lbs on each front wheel. Also keep in mind that a vehicle on 4 dollies will have NO brakes, so be sure to only use them on a smooth, hard, and level floor, such as concrete. The vehicle on dollies can move sideways, or any direction, as easily as forward and back, and it will still have its normal inertia, so if it bumps into anything, damage can be expected. Even a light vehicle on dollies could easily cause serious problems, including serious injury or death, on anything but a level floor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic