OT - SUCCESS

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

OT - SUCCESS

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 am

I feel the OT Forum has been a huge success. It keeps a lot of non-T postings off of the main Forum and makes the main Forum easier to navigate. And it gives those few posters who want to post continuous nonsense an outlet.

With the OT Forum, the main Forum is better for everyone.

Thank you administrators for implementing this!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Re: OT - SUCCESS

Post by John.Zibell » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 am

Agree Tom. This is a great idea.
1926 Tudor

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 pm

I'm in a bit of a quandry and I'm going to ask you a question Tom.
You talk about continuous nonsense yet are personally a deep part of said continuous nonsense.
You're not trying to distance yourself are you? A fun and nonsensical monster started and maintained perhaps?
I'd been wanting to start an OT thread myself but now... Maybe I'll do it elsewhere.
What gives?
:lol: I'm gonna do it anyway.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Duey_C wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 pm
I'm in a bit of a quandry and I'm going to ask you a question Tom.
You talk about continuous nonsense yet are personally a deep part of said continuous nonsense.
You're not trying to distance yourself are you? A fun and nonsensical monster started and maintained perhaps?
I'd been wanting to start an OT thread myself but now... Maybe I'll do it elsewhere.
What gives?
:lol: I'm gonna do it anyway.
It is not either or. I can do nonsense, and I can do serious. I think it best they be kept separate, nonsense on OT, serious on the Main Forum.

One can also do serious on OT Forum, but I think you will agree most of the posts are nonsense. And it is good that those of us who engage in serial nonsense about the surreal have a place to post without disturbing those who are seriously serious about T's.

I look forward to your new thread!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Just been on a sunny walk with Maw, 36 degrees. Very nice out.
We checked the frost boils/holes down the hill on the driveway at swamp level since the new snow so we can better find our way.
I think I get ya Tom. You also perhaps see both sides of the fence. Nonsensical addition: Back when young fellas did the Dungeons and Dragons thing, I was a Neutral character. I think that a good thing...now. Neutral's can see BOTH sides of the fence. :)
I certainly believe the OT section here is a wonderful thing also. I could potentially show an antique tractor or gas engine and talk about them a little without recrimination. Insert silly/dopey voice right now: "Cuz Jeff said so. Yeah." Silly voice stopped.
Bah: No one gets my "humor". That's OK.
Side benefit being; a few of our model T brothers and sisters might relate like I know the few would.
Alright my T friend (Tom thinks "I ain't your friend!" :lol: ), do not sugar coat anything about said thread when I get it put together. Rate it accordingly would you? Should you wish to comment that is. True and never with malice. :-)
:) I speak serious and mean it but yet? There's always room for a little bit of silly. :)
Thanks Tom. I do appreciate your response. :) BTDT myself.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 am

PARKERS ON CHEV.jpg
Always happy to continue the nonsense.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 am
PARKERS ON CHEV.jpg
Always happy to continue the nonsense.
All good except the dog should NOT be allowed to ride on the roof. And maybe some more air in that left front, the lady lying across the fender does not weigh enough to make a difference.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:16 am

The girl on the fender is Flora Mae, and they say she may, or may not.

The girl on the hood is Hattie McGilligutty, a dog lover from way back.

In the driver's seat is Thelma Lou, no telling what she'll do.

And the leggy wench with her foot on the running board is Ellie Mae Clampett, another who may or may not, but it is knowh she can definitely clamp it.

I would say these girl's are going to have a good time, but headed for trouble.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:42 am

All very creative, but here's the real story: These are four of the seven Parker kids. On the fender is Ernestine (1906-2001). She was a church organist for over sixty years and a traveling music teacher in rural schools. On the hood is the youngest, Jessie (Mom), (1910-1999). Her little dog is Joker. The driver is Clarence (1900-1977). He's the only one who really smoked, and eventually the cigarettes got him. On the right is Jereldine (1903-1989). She was a teacher at several of the local rural schools. I don't know where Lester and Raymond are. Mary is behind the camera. She was the family photographer.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:28 am

I'm betting Jereldine was the teacher at the school of hard knocks :shock: :lol:

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:58 am

When I was ten I saw her shoot the head off a snapping turtle with her .22 rifle. I can picture the scene now. She was wearing a purple dress, probably one of those home made feed sack garments that were so common in those days, and turtle blood splattered all over it. Being ten, I thought that was hilarious. Jerry was not amused.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:34 pm

If I had the ability to remove my post I would. I apologize if I offended anyone, I was posting nonsense not trying to offend.

That is a fine looking family that obviously enjoyed a good time together. Photographs were expensive back then and some of the sterner would consider that one a waste. But people are people and back then, just like today, there was a group in society who did not take themselves too seriously.

WayneJ
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Jorgensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1918 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31697
MTFCI Number: 23399
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by WayneJ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:18 pm

It would appear that great photographers run in Steve's family!
Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Mary did get some good shots.
SCHOOL&CEMETERY 1.jpg
One of my favorites is this April view of Parker School and Parker Cemetery across the road to its south. It's sometime between 1935, when Electricity arrived, and 1951 when the old school house was replaced by a more modern building. The school is long gone, replaced by several houses, and this whole view is hidden by trees.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 am

Those really are some attractive looking girls. Not only pretty faces and playful attitudes, but they did not suffer from the midriff bulge that so many seem to today.

But, back on the topic of this thread about the off topic forum posted on the off topic forum... The OT Forum does give those who want to post nonsense a place to do it without cluttering up the Main Forum. Or post something of interest not even Model T related. I like to go to the Main Forum and not have to sort through a bunch of non-T related posts. Why should a few posters be allowed to trash it up with off topic crap?

However, some posters appear to be offended by this, as if they have been banished. They are not banished! They can still post on the Main Forum, but it has to be about Model T's on the Main Forum. And, they have a place to go to post non-T related items. What is their complaint? Are they offended because their non-T related posts do not get the exposure on the OT Forum that they would get on the Main Forum?

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Tom, I agree with you. The new forum setup seems to me to be the best of all possible worlds !

As for gripes about the OT section, it appears our good friends who have done so much to update the forum and keep it running are open to the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." There will always be a few who aren't happy unless they are unhappy. The rest of us just go our way in good fellowship, and thankful for friends !! :D
"Get a horse !"

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:47 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 am
Are they offended because their non-T related posts do not get the exposure on the OT Forum that they would get on the Main Forum?
I suspect that there are quite a few - like me, for example - who check both the main forum and the OT forum. I tend to laugh more over here than I do on the main forum. :D

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 am

Steve was Mary your favourite Aunt? :D
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic