Electric Whatever

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Electric Whatever

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:14 am

https://performanceparts.ford.com › part › M-9000-MACHE
ELUMINATOR™ MACH E ELECTRIC MOTOR

It looks as if Ford will sell you a powerful electric vehicle motor unit for about $5,000.00. That would be a start on converting most any IC vehicle to an electric vehicle, but only a start. I'm guessing that the battery and sundry other required systems and parts would get the cost up to around $50,000.00, assuming you had already suitable vehicle on hand. Performance would be high. Range? Probably not very high, especially if you went with two motors for very high performance. An old F-350 might be able to carry enough battery to get some useful range. It would be interesting to know what a battery would weigh that could provide 300 miles range with a single motor setup in a full size vehicle with full HVAC equipment in operation.

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Re: Electric Whatever

Post by ironhorse » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:04 am

Sounds like you would need to haul a trailer behind you with the battery installed in the trailer to keep from overloading the truck frame with the battery
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Bryant
First Name: bryant
Last Name: shafer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 tudor
MTFCA Number: 51736

Post by Bryant » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:55 pm

Just get that new hitch less hitch system and you could tow a large battery behind you with a EV converted VW beetle! Possibly 1000 miles to each charge!
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t-you’re right.”

Topic author
TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:22 pm

That would be so cool I would download an app for my device that would call up my battery robot trailer whenever I wanted a charge! Then when I was like driving around and everthing my robot trailer could be out copping a charge from the free eco charging stations at no cost to me!

Topic author
TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:36 pm

If I had money to burn, I'd get one of those motor units and install it in the driveline in place of the front driveshaft on a 71 Ford F-350 with a 9 foot Flareside bed. I'd use the extra foot of the extra deep bed to locate a decent sized battery just behind the cab. I'd leave the rest of the driveline in place, including the 300 CID 6 cylinder engine and 4 speed. That would give 600 + ft lb of torque and enough HP and RPM to lay a couple of blocks of rubber and push that farm truck to about 135 MPH or more using both power sources and a 3.54 axle. No real need to plug in to recharge, unless you wanted to, assuming the electric drive could serve as a generator during braking or downhill driving. Gas mileage could be extended considerabley with conservative driving using battery and IC and a regenerative function together. The vehicle could run on the battery and electric drive alone for some distance. Either electric or IC power would be available, or you could apply both in any combination you chose. A breakdown in either system would not be likely to disable the other one. Cost? Plenty. Fun? Ubetcha!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 am

Sorry Pat, at this time think efficiency. Speed will come! That'd be neat! An electric drag truck. Vroom! No. Whoosh!
A diatribe by me:
All this IS possible. For a price. Want too much information? Let’s go!
This may sound VERY arrogant. I don’t see it that way. I like sharing info.
A friend once told me I could figure out planting an electric motor in an old gas vehicle.
He was right. I just shrugged now. As the years roll by, Curtis controllers are the way to go.
Run right out of the box and programmable $1200 plus the programmer.
The battery gauge works good! $
I’ve been very blessed and have worked on two very different electric vehicles for the airline GSE (ground support equipment) industry for two/three different companies.
Zapi controllers from Italy might be just fine. We couldn’t get the right chip (a chip!) to tune the battery gauge and slow-down limiter when the batt’s get tired. AND they take a month off in the summer. Urggh.
2. 2014-2020. OK. Start with a Curtis 1238 series or so motor controller, 80V AC three phase.
Converts the 80V DC to 80V AC three phase. Cool!
I was thrown a pile of parts and crappy elec and hyd prints meant for something else.
Ground the body of the controller to the 12Volt portion to prevent strange behavior from the drive circuit.
Cannot have herky-jerky motion ANYTIME. ANYTIME!
We don’t need a hydraulic pump portion of our controller unless we have a dump box etc. Lift pump $.
Add a 340AH, 80 Volt DC battery if you wish for a single BIG battery. Approx 18“ X 4' footprint at about 2' tall.
2400 Pounds! A trailer? Perhaps. Or no payload more than a coffee cup. $ Not cheap. I don’t remember how much $.
A company in VA sold us parts from its electric vehicle parts list and let us in...
We simply could not replicate their vehicle. No problem. Our vehicle was about 90 grand sell. Nice running chassis.
Time to recharge is extended on these vehicles since you drive up to the plane, set your height and distance then shut it off.
20 horse or so motor.
1. 2000-2006. OR get 14, 6V gel-cells. Buhl battery in northern MN might offer best pricing.
A company in AZ set us up with a repowered standard gas or Diesel powered to an electric vehicle.
Zapi controls.
Their hydraulic system sucked! Took the fully charged batt’s to nil in two hours!
I was allowed to change back to our standard hydraulic system and got the run-time up to 6 hours!
I learned a lot of switching real quick. 25 grand verses 12-17 for fuel burners.
The folks in a northern state really liked that trial/lender unit once we got over ONE hurdle about a perceived over-charging of the batteries as the controller saw it. Let it sit for an hour or so, it was ready to go and served flights all day long and then on the charger at night. They (friends by then) were sad they had to resurrect the fuel powered machines back in order for use when I called and said we were taking it back. 14 or so horse motor.
If in use, there was a pump running but the gel-cells will recuperate a bit when idle.
Sad part: A company in Whitehorse, Yukon (CA) wanted to buy an electric vehicle from the company but the salesman wouldn’t allow 2500 bucks to buy new batteries.
Like it needed.
The sometimes painful part in two ways, I was forced to take the two units apart for scrapping by the president that eventually fired me for nefarious/concocted reasons. He did me a favor. Dum dum.

There’s the other issue! Battery useful life! A couple years... Unless the Lithiums $ are longer lived.
Back to the sundries like the foot pedal, lock out charging switches, receptacle and all of the copper wiring. Yikes. $
2 ought welding cable is not cheap nor is all of the 18-16 gauge wiring to control it all. $$
Both were very interesting projects.
There used to be a simple thought about gas engines verses electric motors. 100 hundred yrs ago.
A 5 horse electric motor or a 10 horse gas engine. True.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:05 am

Mopar may be considering offering a similar electric drive package to what Ford is offering.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:29 am

If I wanted an electric vehicle, I would buy one. If I want a Model T, I buy one and drive it as a Model T. However, I don't think the two mix. T not made for the speed, so would need to be completely modified, and even then the wind resistance would be so much the top would blow off and even the windshield might blow off. So the two just don't mix. it's either, or but not in combination.
Norm

Topic author
TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:03 am

You would not need to make a hybrid or full-electric T go any faster than you wanted to.

A motor-generator mounted in place of the stock T magneto and interconnected with a modest size Li battery pack could give a stock-engined, stock-appearing appearing Model T much better accelleration, hill climbing, and fuel economy. With a counterbalanced engine, you could reach speeds of 55-60 MPH for limited periods, and you'd have what amounted to a second gear, as well as available 0 RPM torque. Performance in city traffic would be excellent, as long as the battery had sufficient charge to assist accelleration. Regenerative braking could extend battery range while giving more effective braking. The car could operate on the battery alone for a limited distance, or operate on both battery-electric and the gasoline engine, or on the gasoline engine alone. I believe a brushless, permanet field magnet motor-generator could be developed to fit and work in place of the stock magneto. Maximum motor power would be limited by space, and by the chassis and driveline's torque handling ability. Net weight gain would be minimal, probably less than a full passenger load. If you wanted a hot hybrid T, leave the basic stock engine/transmission as-is, and mount an electric motor generator in place of a Warford-type auxilliary transmission and replace the T rear axle with a cut down Model A or B axle and brakes. Add Model A type shocks all around to help control torque and improve handling and braking.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:17 am

I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:04 am

Pat, here's a nice early example :
https://youtu.be/LYQ2PiX_Z9o
The Owen Electric, probably the first series produced "Hybrid car"
By the way Henry himself experimented with electric cars around 1914 i believe, using Edison Nickle-Iron batteries
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotiv ... d-model-t/
And Clara is reported to have owned and driven a Baker Electric
So Henry as a former employee and later close friend of Edison was no stranger to electricity for automotive use
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:48 am

Maritime application might be a viable option. Think large sailing catamaran with generator on board. There is already a battery bank supplying the power for the boat. Typically a generator should nicieties like AC be "needed" under sail the motors act as generators (controllable pitch props would be the solution also eliminates transmissions) maintaining the charge on the batteries. Power is there for maneuvering etc and should longer cruising be desired under power simply run the generator voila power. I know it isn't all electric but ill take the "Whatever"
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:25 am

Most Sail craft have small wind turbines on them anyway that be constantly keeping a battery system topped off. Sail craft would probably be the easiest to convert to all electric.
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Topic author
TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:31 am

If you could replace dead weight ballast with batteries, you could offset net weight gain. I'd want an IC engine aboard capable of moving the boat at 12 mph or so even in a dead calm with depleted batteries.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic