Making Do with what's on hand

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Making Do with what's on hand

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 pm

I was stuck today. Assembling a Chevy Aveo cylinder head. (Chevy Dae Woo) :lol:
Long story short, timing belt plastic pulley broke in half, resulting in al 8 exhaust valves being bent. Got the head back yesterday evening after new valves and guides, etc. Assembling today and realized that the timing belt spring tensioner is a goofy setup and you preload it by rotating the water pump with a special wrench, that I don't have.
IMG_3995.JPG
The hex on the pump measures 1-5/8", not even a Cresent wrench was big enough. So I looking around, lots of chin rubbing, tried Channel-locks nothing.
Went to my secret stash from my dad and found a bent wrench that was very close. Opened it up about 1/8" on the bench grinder and moved forward again. Should be done in the morning. :)

Not sure what the wrench was for, but no markings or Ford script, so... :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3996.JPG
IMG_3994.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG

Dean Kiefer
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1926 Snowmobile, 1926 Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 16653
MTFCI Number: 15244
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Making Do with what's on hand

Post by Dean Kiefer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Dave, I have several wrenches that have been modified for a one time use. I keep saving them thinking I will use them again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic