Victor Oxygen pressure regulator - repair or replace.?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Victor Oxygen pressure regulator - repair or replace.?

Post by AdminJeff » Wed May 08, 2019 11:56 pm

I have a Victor valve that failed. Likely a diaphragm failure. It pegs to max psi on the relief valve as soon as I open the tank valve.

$85 to repair it or $85 to replace with a plastic Chinese knockoff. Question: can I fix this myself? Where do I get the parts?

Help!!

Jeff
Attachments
B08B2A69-30DE-411B-9681-87455DE442E9.jpeg
B9FCB645-FF4C-476B-B787-806CF5212899.jpeg
873A71E4-52B0-4E48-84FB-F1106EFB77F5.jpeg
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Re: Victor Oxygen pressure regulator - repair or replace.?

Post by Rich Bingham » Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 am

Take it to a professional welding supply and have them fix it, or get a good regulator. Maybe a cheap knock-off will get you by.
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Thu May 09, 2019 10:32 am

Rich Bingham wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 am
Take it to a professional welding supply and have them fix it, or get a good regulator. Maybe a cheap knock-off will get you by.
Actually a search on Amazon found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-SR450D-Re ... B06WGZJRC2

Looks easy enough after watching a couple Youtubers show how it’s done. Certainly better than spending $85 on a new one.
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri May 10, 2019 3:56 am

I wonder if they have kits for my 70+ year old Smith Gauge set? Actually, the regulators still work fine. But three of the four gauges don't really work. Since I set by ear anyway, I seem to do fine with it.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 am

I was forced to replace a beautiful old Smith's set (beveled glass gauges) 20 years ago for (so they told me) lack of parts to rebuild. I got top of the line Victor, they weren't near as nice, but they've been fine for my occasional use. I've no idea what's being offered nowadays.
"Get a horse !"

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat May 11, 2019 5:34 am

Hey there Rich B ! A bit over twenty years ago, my dad checked with the welding supply that serviced his tanks, and they said at that time that the old Smith gauges were still being rebuilt. He had wanted to have them done then, but typical for him, never did. I now have his old set that he bought a few years before I was born. When I was about eight, an uncle of mine borrowed my dad's set and, shall we say "mistreated" it. Three of the gauges haven't worked since then. I often helped my dad with welding projects (usually stand still holding something with my eyes tightly shut!) starting at about age six. After a few years, my dad started actually teaching me how to weld and braze. I have been welding with his set on my own since I was about twelve. The point of all that, is I learned to set the torch by ear because three of the gauges never worked while I have been using it. The regulators have always seemed to work just fine. So I guess I will just keep going the way I have.
Some years ago, I did pick up another old Smith Gauge setup at a swap meet. But why mess with a good thing?

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Sun May 12, 2019 2:00 am

On of my Victor regulators stopped working correctly (the pressure would bo up over time--) I took it apart and found the valve stem disk had cracked. Couldn't find parts, and Oxygen regulators can um, do bad things if not rebuilt correctly (a little oil can cause explosive failure), so I paid to have it rebuilt--came back looking like new, and for MUCH less than a high quality regulator would cost me. That's my recomendation--have it done by a pro--plus, it'll be warranted.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:08 pm

All the local welding supply houses send the torches people want repaired here. I carry my stuff to them directly as they are close by. They do good work.BUT as of late,alot of companys have bought out each other and merged and so forth and it has prompted a loss of parts supply for alot of torch and gauge sets. I use Marqutte torches with victor gauges and I can not even get tips for my torches anymore. Some gauges ,kits are no longer avaliable.
Copy and pasted.
Welding Apparatus Repair Service

105 Oakley Dr, Harrisburg, NC 28075
(704) 455-2608

YEARS
IN BUSINESS
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic