Bendix 11 X 1-3/4 mechanical cable brakes.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Bendix 11 X 1-3/4 mechanical cable brakes.

Post by Duey_C » Tue May 28, 2019 12:17 am

WAY off topic for another car perhaps. Which one? Perhaps Bendix was easy to work with and would build completely new brakes for a thousand units (perhaps plus then) so it's all just meant for Minneapolis-Moline's Twin City tractor line so I ask If any of this looks familiar?
Playing with the smallest/newest tractor here that has Twin City on the rad top tank (1936) and messing with his Bendix drum Brakes before the trip up The Hill. Some brakes would be nice beforehand.
I had the backing plate for the cable operated brakes on the tailgate this afternoon after the rains and found a stamp that stumped me.
Stump-Stamp. Think of the fun Foster Brooks would have had with those two words. :lol: Sorry, my brain said that. But he would've.
Eh hem. Bendix backing plate 28795R that has another stamp I just found. Can any of you fellas help me?
What does that 4 mean? Do you recognize any of these numbers?
31045 cable assy and actuating lever 21380-L 11-12.
Haha! Photos. I could submit another completely accidental photo on the photo thread with a backing plate, a glove, a Peterson Vice Grip, the 31045 cable and shoes just out of frame for reference. :lol:
Serious question just the same. Any thoughts about these numbers?
Thank you.
Attachments
10.jpg
9.jpg
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Duey_C
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup

Re: Bendix 11 X 1-3/4 mechanical cable brakes.

Post by Duey_C » Wed May 29, 2019 1:50 am

Actually surprised no one...... That's OK.
Here's the anchor plate with shoes (what they are right now).
I stopped by the parts store today. No go. Huh? Well I did admit they're for a 36 Twin city JT. Not just Old Bendix Brakes.
I'll attack those guys another day with notions of Old Bendix Brakes and see again.
Thanks for looking. :)
Attachments
20190528_204420.jpg

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:58 am

Duey, just saw this post. Are you looking for new shoes/linings? There are(at least were) shops that will reline brake shoes, clutch discs, etc. I had some brake shoes for a Tulsa winch relined at Inland Truck Parts(I think that was the name)in Kansas City MO. back in the late 80's, maybe there are some shops near you that can do that, if that's what you need. Just a thought. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Topic author
Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks Dave. :) I could buy linings but they're 68 bucks for a set of four from the vendors. Like a bird, cheep. Dumb as a rock too 'tho, that's probably an excellent price! :lol:
I do have an old brake lining/rivet machine, remember the ones that have a drum sander built in on the other side so a fella could reshape the linings perfectly to fit the drums? That kind. It'd make a good drum sander for wood projects. I'm not really interested in getting the motor going for some reason... Or even admitting I have it. :lol:
It also since dawned on me to call a couple of Minneapolis-Moline dealers down in Nebraska and Missouri. I need 2 shoes, all springs and the hold-down springs, pins (nails) and cups for one. I talked to another fellow working on a JT in June, and he searched for old Gov't numbers for the springs and actually found some.
My tractor engine rebuilder (Babbitt-5 hours away) would order me linings too I bet. I perused his catalog when I was down there a few weeks ago ordering free floating clutch discs for another tractor. Too bad the engine is 900 lbs. It's too big to fit in a Qwik-Way or some-such. If it was T sized I could've had it done an hour away. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic