1919 Model T in restoration...

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
galaxienc
First Name: linda
Last Name: kushner
MTFCA Number: 50477

1919 Model T in restoration...

Post by galaxienc » Fri May 31, 2019 12:21 pm

Looking for feedback on a unique center door project. Garaged for over 50 years and currently undergoing meticulous restoration, but won't be completed by owner. Original parts with many spares available; custom upholstery. Not a completed car but not a parts car either! Thought I'd get it out in front of Model T enthusiasts...is there/where is a market for cars in this phase? Advice welcomed. Would enjoy having it back on the road!!
Attachments
frame1.jpg
motor1.jpg
body2.jpg
body1.jpg
seat1.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: 1919 Model T in restoration...

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri May 31, 2019 1:47 pm

If it's for sale then it should be in the classifieds with a price. Ads for cars for sale are no longer free for non members of the club. Contact the administrators to place an ad in that section. If you are just showing it off or asking for comments, it should be in the regular forum. This section is for non T related items so does not get a lot of activity.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
galaxienc

Post by galaxienc » Fri May 31, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks Mark - I just needed to start somewhere since the car is not assembled and looking for best approach. I'll pull and get it where needs to be.

JvanMaanen
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Van Maanen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 15 Touring, 19 roadster, 22 Coupe, 08 SR
MTFCA Number: 373
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 184

Post by JvanMaanen » Fri May 31, 2019 3:51 pm

One piece of advise on closed car restoration. Do not do too much body work without the body mounted to the frame. These wood framed bodies have some variance to them and if you don't have them on the squared up chassis when you fit and finish the doors, windshield, wood firewall, etc. you could end up having to loosen up and re-nail the body panels to get the door and window fit you want, thus possibly marring some of the paint or body work. This is especially true if you do any wood replacement. There are a lot of curves in the center doors and without it mounted on the chassis, it is difficult to get a point of reference.

been there and it is no fun trying to adjust things with the body panels firmly nailed to the wood.

Jim

Topic author
galaxienc

Post by galaxienc » Fri May 31, 2019 5:13 pm

Jim,
thank you!! I have heard a bit about the wood frame and concerns with alignment, but did not understand the intricacies. most conversation was just around age/condition.
Just put in for memership and will get this on the right thread to learn more :)

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:47 am

Lots nicer than a late Center Door here, Linda.
Hope you find someone to care-take that very nice Center Door project!
:) < Key piece right there for a newby. A simple smile doesn't make us look so curmudgenly. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

JvanMaanen
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Van Maanen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 15 Touring, 19 roadster, 22 Coupe, 08 SR
MTFCA Number: 373
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 184

Post by JvanMaanen » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Did a 22 Center Door 15 years ago, with much re-wooding required. Sold It to Ron Kipling(RIP), wish I had it back as it was a very sweet running and very original car. The driving position in the Center Doors was a bit uncomfortable for me, but they do have a look that is so classic. If you weren't clear on the other side, I'd make you an offer.

best Jim

Topic author
galaxienc

Post by galaxienc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks everyone for the advice and compliments on the car! It is now posted in vehicles for sale. ya'll take care ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic