Why we should outlaw autonomous vehicles

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Why we should outlaw autonomous vehicles

Post by ironhorse » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Top 8 reasons we should outlaw autonomous vehicles!

1. Since autonomous vehicles would be incapable of speeding, illegal lane changes, running stop lights, being involved in vehicular crashes etc, the need for traffic police would be minimal. Add traffic cops to the unemployment line.
2. Because autonomous vehicles would not be involved in vehicular crashes the number of accident attorneys would diminish so add them to the unemployment line.
3. Traffic court would no longer be necessary because there are no traffic cops left. Add Judges and their staff to the unemployment line.
4. Autonomous vehicles would most likely be electric reducing the need for fossil fuels so all the gas stations would go out of business. Add gas station employees to the unemployment line.
5. Since autonomous vehicles are electric the need for internal combustion mechanics will diminish. Add automotive Service technicians to the unemployment line.
6. As the technology improves there will no longer be a need for delivery drivers. Add UPS, USPS, FEDEX, DHL etc drivers to the unemployment line.
7. Mass Transit would no longer need operators for their buses and trains. Add these operators to the unemployment line
8. A power blackout such as the one in NYC on July 13 & 14 1977 would leave all the autonomous vehicles looking for a live charging station. Add everyone to the unemployment line.

I'm sure there are others I just can't think of them now :twisted:
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

shortdogisshort
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Frese

Re: Why we should outlaw autonomous vehicles

Post by shortdogisshort » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:19 pm

What's really fascinating is that utilizing self-driving Uber/Lyft vehicles may eventually be cheaper than owning your own vehicle in the long-term.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm

I believe autonomous (self driving) vehicles are certainly in the not so distant future. I think they are capable of doing a MUCH BETTER job of driving than the idiots we see out there every day.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Cheshire's list above is intended in humor, but the truth is most of the items are probably true. Imagine, dummies out there would be forced to ride in a vehicle that actually complies with the law. What a concept. I bet when fully implemented traffic related deaths drop to nearly zero. We'll need laws making it a CAPITAL OFFENSE to monkey with the programming for any reason. It's just the next logical step.....

The only downside is the effect on T's and other old iron. That part is sad, but the potential benefits are huge.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 pm

It is not a matter of If but a matter of WHEN that technology fails,because it is designed by humans.
When it fails people die,just as with these dang airplanes that won't let the pilot make corrections or whatever.
I don't think they have done much with the autonomous cars in snow and rain or other situations where a human could make corrections.
So if a human gets in a Uber that drives it's self,it starts raining and the car has no idea what to do,the rider gets to watch in horror as the car runs over people,into things and so forth until it carrys it's human to it's death down a gulley on the side of the interstate.Or gets stuck in the snow miles from a place of warmth and it's human freezes to death.
As for me,I want to drive myself.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm

It's why I keep horses. ;)
"Get a horse !"

46woodduck
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:26 am

I'm with tdump on this issue. It's amazing how people put so much faith into computers to save the world when one simple glitch (or hack by some computer nerd) can screw up things faster than a NASCAR race car.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 am

Rich Bingham wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm
It's why I keep horses. ;)
============================================

Automated horses ? This is news to me !
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:28 am

Horses will take you home! My not obey all stop signs but thats normal drivers.

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:52 pm

From a news clipping, Chardon, Ohio, 1970. Amish man in Middlefield, Ohio, went to town in the buggy. On the way home he died of a heat attack. The horse delivered the buggy (and the corpse) to the front door of the house." Poignant, but true.

The REAL trouble with self drivers is that they must be tied to a system of computer/satellite location. Because it is a computer it can be hacked. Because it is a computer it WILL BE hacked. No thanks, I trust my brain.

I read recently that traffic in San Francisco has doubled. The primary reason seems to be all the Uber and Lyft vehicles that are driving empty of passengers, i.e. on the way to get the passengers. Unintended consequences of a system not thought out to its logical conclusion.

Thomas Loftfield
Brevard, NC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic