You want Off Topic? Reasons why. Caution!

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

You want Off Topic? Reasons why. Caution!

Post by Duey_C » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:10 am

Careful, here I go!
OR Some of the things that keep me away from the Sweet T's here.
OR What have you done with your OT antique machines this year? Do show me.
A part of the reasons the 3 T's are languid right now. Shoot, the neighbors way back in our secluded Neighbor-Wood even stopped by to see if I was working on a model T. Kinda cool. They figured I was busy, I was but there's always time to visit. :)
My 1953 Galion 118 motor grader (IH UD-16 gasoline start, 6 cylinder Diesel engine) has been giving me the business for almost the last year.
Service bits sorely needed and things learned.
He hinted at me for the last 10.
Then I find this: I pulled the input/outlet strainer out of the fuel tank for the first time ever.
Bingo! No wonder why I don't have any fuel pressure after only 66 years.
1 Tall strainer.
4 Tall fuel strainer upside down on the steps. Plugged.
6 Getting clean! Purple Cleaner's been good to me with brass
Attachments
1.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: You want Off Topic? Reasons why. Caution!

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:06 am

WELL! 'BOUT time you cleaned that thing!

I do miss people sharing their "OT" old stuff repairs.

Glad to see yours.

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Neat project.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:33 pm

Did you say “ Off Topic “ or “ Hot Pocket “ ?

Eh ?

I don’t hear so good anymore .....

Is that a beer you are soaking that paper towel tube in ?

Are you gonna throw that perfectly good beer away when you are done ?

Eh ?

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Topic author
Duey_C
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup

Post by Duey_C » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:52 am

Thanks guys. :) I feel silly typing this now
C'mon yous guys. Add your own OT gorgeous pieces/machines...
Dallas dared with that fantastic ol' lathe of his that his buddy used for a BIG bushing ON A WOODEN MANDREL!
Didja see it?
You guys do not want me posing photos of my lathes here... Nor my OT OT projects. Yet... I need a mill.
Jim, there are NO very COLD beers in those photos but rest assured, I was quite refreshed. Thank heavens. :lol:
Hmmm, has someone been watching me?
Hmmm. I'm a paranoid ol' bugger... Ooh. Ya got me. I could hide a beer can inside that strainer from Maw! Maw asks, "Why are you tipping the strainer up?" and me "Umm, just getting the clean water out Maw." :lol:
I was wandering around here looking for an oversized Pringles or Staks can to soak the darn thing in.
Yes. A good project that's 60 some years overdue. More to come if you don't post your own. :)
Don't you fellars get me started! I could show you things... OOPS! I could show you things from the old tractor/machinery worlds that you don't want to see...
Caution! I'm so darned in depth that you'll throw up perhaps.

Topic author
Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:47 pm

9 All cleaned up with someplace to go. Recognize any bits in the pic? Find the 13? windshield and win yourself a full cuppage of hot air! :lol:
7 A view thru the lower/inlet strainer. If ya look close you can see the trees and Maw's little shed.
8 The crud that lost its place for the image in 7.
10 Well now, all is ready on the table including my "Keeping it for good" cork that is just about too far gone and dry.
Can that cork be re-moistened?
11 I grabbed a little scissor in the little shop, cripes, they were made in Germany and are wonderful! No clue where they came from...Probably in '16 when I picked up some T stuff with Lucky and Tin Cup.
12 The cork shims in the bottom of the fuel tank.
It's back together, waiting for a final check, refilling and testing.
Told ya. I warned. Just to be a jerk, should post pics of the other toys that keep me away from the T's sometimes/lately. :oops:
I make light of too much but this is serious business for me and the machines that I love to be working with.
We only have so much time to get it done tho. The unknown factor.
Attachments
9.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Topic author
Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:48 pm

The rest.
Attachments
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am

Duey, Maw is going to be looking for her toothbrush and toilet brush! Put them back sneeky like and stay out of trouble. The motor grader wont be starving now?

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 am

Your not using the good scissors are you?
When did I do that?

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:39 am

Not very mechanical in nature, but fixing and putting back into service just the same,
I recently finished repairing and installing a matching pair of windows for the back
shop:

DSC06804.jpg

It was dungeon dark in there before, but now plenty bright ! These are large, .....
six deet wide, nearly three feet tall. Got 3 more different, but matching units to complete
the set to install yet ....

=====================

This door has been blocking up access to the work bench for over a year and is my
current focus:

DSC05256.jpg

I have stripped 9 coats of paint off the opposite side and replaced 2 pieces of broken
glass. The last piece of broken glass I will have to MAKE, as it simply cannot be found.
I sourced a really nice set of 1885 Corbin hinges and door latch hardware last fall for it.
I'd love to use it as an exterior door, but security being what it is, it will be installed at
the landing on the stairs from the shop to the upper floor.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:02 pm

That's a great looking door Burger. I have a similar one. It came from a house in Pocatello that had the remains of a still in the basement.
MyDoor.jpg
When did I do that?

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Mrs. Miller, the owner of the farm and TT flatbed that inspired my own desire to own
a truck like that, had a still in her basement that looked to be ready for another batch,
..... like they just walked away from it when booze was legalized again. More or less
how her TT and Fordson tractor looked, .... just sitting there, waiting for the next harvest.

Topic author
Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:19 am

Rich, I started to think I have finally found the GOOD scissors instead of using her grandmother's good scissors that I posses!
Like I wrote about pic posting on another forum tonight. Patience man. Yes, I realize my typing is in riddles or some-such.
OR
Touch the reload button once in a while here Duane.
Hahaha! Fantastic! Thank you gentlemen!
That's a big-assed window Burger! Glad it lights your shop!
Beautiful doors! I need to post a pic of a small piece of glass in a nephew's shop door. Hamm's beer, stick-on decal from a long time ago..
Dallas, I had to find those & buy them myself. No fun at all. Goll,, you sound like my Twin City Tractor Dealer... :)
Huh. No-one caught the 13 windshield nor the Holley Bros carb... Patience man.
Off to southern MN in the morning. Maw's driving and told me IF I bellyache too much about her driving, I have to do it all.
OWW! That'd hurt bad, The ol' pickup should make it and back. Long trip.
Goll, I wonder how bad the hooch tasted?
Attachments
P1010068.JPG

Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Browsing through this again and the drafting tools keep catching my eye. How elegant. Dad let me play with the ones he had. Later I was able to make a living with them. Careful what you let the little ones play with.
Rich
When did I do that?

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:55 pm

Duey_C wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:19 am

That's a big-assed window Burger! Glad it lights your shop! Beautiful doors!
==================================

40 years ago I bought a pair of windows from this set. The exteriors have a blue-grey
paint on them, but the interior sides are still in varnish. Then, last summer, I walked into
a local antique shop and there hung one of those windows like the photo above ! It even
had the same blue-grey paint on the exterior side ! The seller had a second one and gave
me a screaming great price on the pair, ... saying nobody wanted them because they were
so large .... what can you do with them when they are so large ?

.... well, you install them in a large shop, that's what you do ! :lol:

Turns out, the pair I have had for 40 years are actually just the center sections of two more
of the large windows. Apparently someone broke the big windows down and and saved just
the centers ! The seller of the pair 40 years ago said they were salvaged from the Morrison
Hotel in Seattle. I have been unable to find period photos to verify.

When I was 6-10 years old, my best friend's mother worked on a community haunted house
around Halloween. They used an abandoned, but maintained old Victorian house that was
opened up each year for this event. I was totally in awe of the stained glass windows and
overall grandeur of the place, and have had that mental illness to go with all my old old junk
interests ever since. The shop has almost 40 Victorian stained glass windows in it. With two
floors and 10' ceilings on both floors, it literally IS a Victorian house, with a shop hiding under
the skin.

Topic author
Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 am

LATE EDIT: Burger, I was still typing when you posted. That is totally mind blowing! Very cool. Mental illness? Bull.
Self awareness of the beauty of the many things around us. Thank you for that!
Stained glass is almost rare here.

They are very elegant Rich. I never thought of them that way before!
Handy as a wrench in a resurrecter’s tool set! I found them at a garage sale down in the metro area for a couple dollars a LONG time ago. My brother, who lives down there was a tiny bit PO’d at me for finding them first. The graphite I’ve laid down on gasket material...
Oh! A draftsman. Cool. I’d like to find one of the tilting drawing tables someday. You’re up to date with Autocad and Solid Works too right? :lol:
I tried Autocad 30 years ago. Could barely make a line. Frustratingly slow to me, I worked on it for a good bit (several evenings), found it clunky to me, shut the computer down and went back out to the shop (an older memory that I’m glad just resurfaced!) but 3 volumes of the 1904 books Practical Shop Work have been invaluable to me many times for shop and design suggestions. :)
I really shouldn’t laugh at anything here either, I’ve made paper models to test my drawings and see if it’ll work for real on a larger scale...
Yep, gotta be careful about the kids and these things. Those pointy bits are very sharp. :x Modern folk may say this. :x
I’ve been called smart way too much but I’ve missed this notion completely. I am so glad you mentioned it Rich. I have to find the protractors, the small steel rule and hand them all plus a pencil to my grandchildren and tell them “Make a drawing. Whatever it is in your mind.” Or, “Draw me Bendy’s Place” or whatever else they’re into nowadays. Well Duane, the older ones are only 7, 8 and 10. Wait? Nope. Some of them love to draw and create.

Burger, I went back and that door is absolutely beautiful!!!
I saw it before but now I SEE it. What’ll you coat it with for preservation?
I’m a very poor to a very fair carpenter (depending) even tho my dad was good and my brother is still. He’s fussy like me and has done a lot of bathrooms, tiling and re-constructing plus his newest 3 string cigar box guitars are gorgeous.
Everything I build is just a bit out of square and I helped dad lay out a lot of buildings with a transit and 100ft tape. He had me use the smart end of the tools after awhile instead of just the dumb end of a tape measure.
I’m more mechanically minded tho. Bringing old machinery back to life is such a joy and knowing when I need help is a blessing.

10 hours road time today (360 some miles). No way to thank a female (Maw) enough for the driving. I did some but it was in her noggin that she was driving today and took it away from me a few times. She’s shut down for the night so I’ll leave her physical evidence (a note) of my thankfulness as I am not needing to recover for several days and cleaned up the little shop some this evening! Needed the space for (oops! OT OT) radiator disassembly. I gotta get to the T’s too yet.
How’s this sound? “I cannot thank you enough for the good day we had, the pickup was a peach, it was a nice yet hot day (88) and we sure got to see some MN country. We’ve been wishing to get away and this started to satisfy that urge. More to come perhaps. Thanks luv."
Good grief can I type, uff da. Yet, felt good.
The pic is all of my German made compasses and accoutrement’s but I don’t know where the protractors are hiding. The 2 compasses on the right are only a few years old, found in a dumpster diving incident. The left set in the case? Quite old.
Attachments
P1010069.JPG

Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:47 am

When our company went to Autocad I kicked and screamed. There is no way to match the finesse of graphite on velum or mylar drawings. I'm a slow learner but eventually became proficient and had great luck with the 3-D. I tried Solid Works but never achieved a good understanding of it. If I had Autocad today I wouldn't get anything else done. It is too much fun. Thanks for reminding me.
3-D.jpg
3Plantery.jpg
When did I do that?

Topic author
Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Well well. Beautiful images Rich! Thank you! :mrgreen:
:D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic