What Was Old Is New Again.....

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

What Was Old Is New Again.....

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 am

I really get a chuckle out of the younger folks on the Internet touting that they are the inventors of electric autos and that new designs are so much more aerodynamic than older autos. Well.....no! Up for bid soon at auction is Porsche’s very first design from 1939. George Jetson should be proud! :)

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: What Was Old Is New Again.....

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:42 pm

To bad our Atomic Airplane didn't get off the ground.
When did I do that?

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Ferd and friends, inventing the ugly automobile:

ferd.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:50 am

:) I didn't think the "Peoples auto' was really that ugly. Brother had a '62 then I had a '66 bug. We crammed 7 of us into that tough little bugger at lunch hour one time in school. Joey Conkler went into the back. It was so tough, someone stole it from the next owner. True.
Michael, nice reminder! Plus the Baker's and Detroit's and ?? before that! They think they are just genius's don't they? Sorry boys.
I'm just gonna do it: If you remember the Jetson's: Eep opp ork uh uh and that means I love you. Come fly with me....
Judy thought Jet Screamer was the "Most-ut". (Whew! I didn't have to look that up.)

That '39 Porsche is really neat! If Leno got it, he'd drive it once in awhile.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:19 am

This is just a personal preference in aesthetics, but the more an object looks like
a turd or a suppository, the uglier I think it is. Don't give two hoots how "aerodynamic"
a turd is, or how efficiently it passes through the bowels or air, it is not a shape I
consider praiseworthy or interesting.

On the flip side, I *can* turn on my critical thinking hat when considering a blobmobile,
such as Ferd's turds, and appreciate the early renditions for their historical value, for
which I DO think they are cool, But this leads me back around to the American duplicity
of villainizing all things Nazi, except those "chosen objects" that get paraded about by the
pompous and praised as status symbols. With so many other awesome cars out there to
be excited about, I find all too many just ho-hum at best, downright worthy of disdain at
worst.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Really digressing in OT - The comic strip "Li'l Abner" featured an obnoxious tycoon named "General Bullmoose" (guess who he represented ?) who had a whipping-boy/flunky named "Milton" whom he blamed for everything that displeased him, ranting - "Milton, blast your pointed head !" The '39 Nazi mobile reminded me of that line.

Burger, well said ! ;)
"Get a horse !"

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Bringing it back around again, .... I have collected up all the old family photo albums
that oddly enough, nobody else wanted, and about once a year I spend a week of winter
evenings looking through all the familiar photos of my grandparents and great-grandparents
doing "the dailies" and special events like camping trips. The post-war stuff, while interesting,
has never been as interesting as the 1880-1940 stuff. In a number of shots, my great grandmothers
are shown hanging out the laundry, posing about the yard, feeding the critters, etc. ... always
wearing the mandatory cotton dress and "sensible" shoes, their hair pinned up. Often there
are chickens in the background, doing chicken business, and the scene always has that sleepy
look of a peaceful place where lemonade could not possibly taste any better than when sipped
while sitting on the front porch swing.

Scenes like these were still common when I was a kid, but I was always bewildered by why so
few people cherished the slow pace and quietude of it all. Rather, my generation, and perhaps
not so much, the one that came before me, were fixated on always going faster, newer was always
better, shiny and cheap was better than old and proven. Never understood that.

I saw a street sign the other day. A yellow diamond shape with black letters and images of two
people with their head bent down, walking in lockstep. The words warned motorists to watch for
celfone zombies. It is not unusual at all to hear TV andradio shows referring to "our hectic world"
and the effects it has on our mental health. It seems the modern answer is to work even more hectically,
so you can sock away 1000's more, and fly off to some distant place for a "vacation". Sounds fun,
but what about that swing and the lemonade ? I am sitting here, taking a break from thinning lettuce
in the garden .... came in to have one of those ciders, in fact. Through the open window I hear the
chickens clucking. One just laid an egg and is squawking like they do. In the window behind me the
laundry I put out on the line is reflecting on my computer screen, like a flag in the breeze. It is
Sunday and it is quiet and peaceful and thinking of Ferd Porsche and the oceans of pompous clowns
that think his cars are the cat's pajamas, all the faster-faster-faster minded silly people, all the posers
and snoots, .... well, I just gotta laugh. I think those ladies in their cotton dresses and "sensible"
shoes would have laughed too. People busy chasing their tails, like a feather in the wind ... and
for what ?

When I am done with this cider, a repair I left in the vise last night is waiting for me to finish in the
shop. I will enjoy the ambiance of the muted sunlight pouring through all the colors of the stained glass,
and pack some bearings on the Model TT, so I can have it at a veterans event tomorrow evening. The
old truck is a regular with our Vets on the Farm program and represents that whole slow-paced, organic
sense of oneness with our surroundings thing that dirt-under-our-nails farmers know all too well. Why
the need for speed and aerodynamics when life's top speed is 45, and best enjoyed at 20 ? I never did
understand that need for speed, even now. Especially now !

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:52 am

About firsts;
In 1898 at the young age of 23 Ferdinand Porsche built his first car it was called the Egger Lohner C3, he marked most parts 'P1' for it was obviously his first build and it was an electric car ! It resides in the Porsche museum in Stutgart.
Attachments
image.jpeg
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:20 am

And another first for Herr Porsche, also designed for the Lohner car works, in 1901 he built a Hybrid gasoline-electric four wheel drive car !
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (155.86 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic