Electronic ignition

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Thompson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Tudor sedan

Electronic ignition

Post by Bill Thompson » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:38 am

O.T. But, having problem installing Pertronix electronic ignition LU-147A in 1976 MGB. Instructions say to remove snap ring, washer, O-ring trigger wheel or reluctor and plastic adapter. I don’t see any of these. Does anyone here know what this means? And how it is done?

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Electronic ignition

Post by Thorlick » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:49 am

Bill,
The problem is poor directions. You would get a kick reading about how these directions come to be by reading Persig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

To solve your problem I suggest you post on the MG site: https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt-forum.1

respectfully, TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:51 am

See if this helps.
Are you changing points to electronic ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2aNxMInFis

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:11 am

Sorry to butt in on this, but i developed a disliking to electronic ignitions (used to think they were great)
Reason is they either work fine or they don't do nothing at all, if they break on the road there's nothing you can do but call the towtruck, where with old-timey points there is almost allways a way to fix them so you can at least get home or to the nearest service station, saved my butt more then a couple of times, even fixed a broken points spring by jamming a short piece of gas hose between the points and the distributor housing to act as a spring, it got me home.
electronics let me down twice while out on the road and towing was way more expensive than the replacement ignition module.
Of course this is just my two cents... ;)
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:29 am

[quote= Does anyone here know what this means? And how it is done?
[/quote]

=========================================

Generally speaking, one needs to remove the three screws on the plastic end cap and lift
the side access panel to get at the cord. Pulling the cord from the side compartment, find
the end with the loop and engage the opposite end with the turn wheel, hooking the ball in
to one of the slots in the lipped edge. Let it hang there. Now adjust the timer dial to 15º
and turn the control knob two full turns clockwise, tighten the cinch nut, then reloosen and
reverse the two turns to put the control knob in it's original position. This resets the entire
calibration and allows you to pull the cord until it is tight. Now replace the cord back into
the side compartment, replace the cover, and reset the screws. You should be good to go.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic