OT - Ford Tractor (1) old man (0)

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

OT - Ford Tractor (1) old man (0)

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:54 pm

I have a cautionary tail for those of you who enjoy old tractors. Yesterday was supposed to be the day I put my rear axle and wheels back under my Model T and moved it out of my tiny heated shop and turned it around so I could work on the front end - including putting the engine back in. We got several inches of snow so I thought I'd better plow the area in front of my pole barn where I'd be turning the T.

I plow with a 1953 Ford Jubilee with a 6 foot back blade. The temp was around 12°F so I was dressed very warmly including my old army Mickey Mouse boots. As I was pushing some snow backwards I twisted to the right to see where I was going and all Hell broke loose.
Somehow my left boot got snagged on the tire chains and before I could pull it free, it was drawn up and back into the space between the tire and the fender……meanwhile the tractor kept going and trying to drag my leg in - since the clutch and ignition switch are on that side I was helpless. The tractor continued back another 20 feet until the blade contacted the cyclone fence around the dog pen where the tractor stalled. By then I was thoroughly stuck, painfully so.

This was one of the few times I didn’t have my cell phone on me so I screamed my throat hoarse for help.  My little dog finally heard me and started barking so that my wife went to the door where she heard my cries. The dog is getting a steak!

My wife came out to help and told me that my leg was bleeding and she could see bone.  We tried to untie the laces to free my foot but no luck.  I finally talked her thru pulling out my Jeep Renegade, retrieving my tow strap, hooking it to the tractor and pulling it slowly ahead to release my foot.  It hurt like a son-of-a-gun.  I just sat there and let it dangle and actually had her pull the tractor onto a plowed section of ramp to make it easier for the EMT’s.

After ten minutes or so a Fire / Rescue vehicle and an ambulance arrived.  The lead EMT and his partner were both my former students so I kidded them that I hoped they didn't hold a grudge since I was at their mercy. They helped me off the tractor and transported me to a small local hospital to be stabilized.  They cut most of my clothes off and my boot so I was freezing! There was a fair amount of bleeding and for some reason (strain?) my right (artificial ) hip spasmed And hurt more than my broken ankle.   They did x-rays, looked worried, splinted my leg and shipped me to a big hospital in Port Huron, MI. They fit me into the operating schedule at 3:30 PM the next day and a great doc repaired the ankle. Apparently the smaller bone (fibula) had a spiral fracture and was broken in three places - It took nine pins and a long plate to secure it and the ligament had to be repaired too. I can’t put weight on it for 10-12 weeks and it will take nearly two years to get anywhere near to normal, which is going to be a real challenge. Finishing my 1917 Model T Ford has been delayed indefinitely although if I can figure out how to move around the shop I might get a few things accomplished. I do have friends who have vowed to help so all is not lost.

I didn't write the above because I want sympathy....stuff happens. I just want to remind all of you that some of the things we do have an element of risk so be careful out there. Sometimes the old technology we all enjoy has a bite!
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Re: OT - Ford Tractor (1) old man (0)

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:05 pm

Holy crap Tim, that's awful, but I suppose it could have been worse.
I guess taking it easy is not a choice...it's a must.
Sure takes longer to heal than when we were kids !! :(
At least it's winter, I guess.
Pet the pup for me too :)

Dean Kiefer
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1926 Snowmobile, 1926 Wrecker
MTFCA Number: 16653
MTFCI Number: 15244
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Dean Kiefer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Tim, very sorry to here what happened. Hope by spring you will be back at it?

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Dang, Tim. Your story got more horrifying as I read along. But I kept reading, hoping it would somehow have a happier ending. I'm so sorry for what happened, but at the same time thankful it wasn't worse.

As we get older, having our cell phone at hand becomes more important. My wife fell coming off a ladder a couple of weeks ago. She was home alone and didn't have a phone at hand. Thankfully she was able to crawl and then get up and hobble for some assistance. In the end, her injuries weren't all that bad. Just hurt like crazy.

We have both promised ourselves and each other not to undertake something that's potentially dangerous without warning the other in advance. But after a lifetime of doing stuff, how do you remember to take the precaution, and for that matter, evaluate what might be dangerous before doing it ?

Dick

Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Post by Marty Bufalini » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Tim! That's awful!!! I hope you're no longer in too much pain. What's the prognosis?

Marty

Tim Moore
First Name: TIMOTHY
Last Name: MOORE
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: As many as can fit in the buildings, need to add on again.

Post by Tim Moore » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Holy crap Tim that is scary. I plow with the same tractor and blade and am surprised it stalled and didn't just sit and spin or go right over the fence. I also learned that when going backwards on those tractors you have to be sure to keep your feet well inside on the running boards. About a year ago I put on new AG tires and was going backwards when I also twisted and my boot hit the new and high tread. Going backwards the AG tread is like a scoop and my boot was suddenly like a playing card in the spoke of a bicycle. I got my foot out before it caught and went up into the fender like you did but it scared the hell out of me. I have never put the chains on mine and after reading this don't think I want to as that would have probably caught me also. My tires are new Firestone's and loaded so don't really need them.

Really sorry that happened, tractor events happen really fast and there is usually no escape. I don't believe in telling people "you were really lucky" because you got hurt bad but it is more likely that it wouldn't have stopped and would have killed you. I am going to tell your story and mine to every tractor guy I know and warn them about going backwards on these tractors and knowing where your feet are, the lower edge of the fender is right there to catch your foot and pull you in.

Heal quick and well!

Tim Moore

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident Tim. As someone who has been pinned back together, I feel for ya. Rest and time will get you ready for the shop. As a former EMT and a Firefighter for 33 years I have seen many things. Things happen so fast that you cant react in time. I spent many years on a ford 800 so I know how easy it is for this to happen.
I hope you heal fast and have minimal pain. Your T will wait for you and it sounds like your friends and you will have some fun in the shop soon.

tdumas
First Name: Ted
Last Name: Dumas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe, 1924 Touring
MTFCI Number: 20999

Post by tdumas » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:28 pm

I think it's time for a modern tractor with modern safety features such as if you are off the seat the tractor stops automatically.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 pm

Tim, My heart goes out to you and I can't say anything that hasn't been said. I will agree that you were lucky in that, you were able to tell us about it. We ALL can't get too comfortable or complacent doing something. If you weren't all bundled up you probably would not have had the accident. Heal swiftly and thanks for sharing.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Tim Moore
First Name: TIMOTHY
Last Name: MOORE
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: As many as can fit in the buildings, need to add on again.

Post by Tim Moore » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Ted, if that was the case to get a new tractor with a safety switch we should all sell our Model T's and get cars with air bags and seat belts! We are a group who likes a previous generation of equipment but along with that comes some risks. This is a good post of what was common and what can happen really fast with equipment that is still in use, just like a Model T.

Tim Moore

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks all...I appreciate the support and good wishes. Everything I read above has the ring of truth. I'll probably be in the hospital a couple more nights before going home. They have to teach me how to stand, sit and hop using one leg. It would be funny if it wasn't so darn serious.

The hospital has been really good about managing my pain... it hasn't been bad at all. The doc told me ankle breaks are among the most painful but so far I've been lucky. Maybe that comes later.

I'm considering some safety improvements to my tractor - fender extensions and a kill switch available from any position. Truthfully, the bulky Mickey Mouse boots I was wearing with their deep treads probably did me in. I have turf tires on the tractor so I need the chains to get any traction on ice or snow. some part of the boot sole snagged a chain and that was it.

I also ordered a weatherproof cell phone bag that has a strap to go around my neck. I won't make that mistake again. What I didn't say in the post was that my wife had forgotten to go to a meeting at her church.... had she not been home, I'd have been pinned there, bleeding, freezing in 12° F and going into shock until she came back.... who knows what she would have found. Be careful guys, as Dick pointed out, we're not as unbreakable as we thought we were in our youth.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

otrcman

Post by otrcman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57 pm

After looking at pictures of a '53 Ford Jubilee, I can see that it's not all that different from my '48 Farmall Cub in where the tires and fenders are relative to my feet. So this incident deserves a bit of analysis.

I suspect that Tim is like me, a little less flexible with age. My neck doesn't swivel like it used to, and I wind up twisting my whole body to see rearward. Perhaps that's what got you, Tim. I can visualize the movement of feet going along with trying to see rearward.

I'm going to take a look at my Cub tomorrow to see if it lends itself to some guards that could keep my feet away from the wheels. I know, I know. Original is where it's at. But dang it, I like my feet and legs to be original, too.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 pm

So happy you are on the mend and not seriously worse off. Even modern tractors have the ability to maim beyond what most people expect. The older stuff, so very much more so!
Part of my growing up was on my grandparent's farm (peach orchards!), and I was driving my grandfather's N series tractors (including one Jubilee) when I was six years old. When I had kids of my own, I really found it difficult to believe that my parents and grandparents allowed it (I was even pulling trailers out of the orchards during harvest!). But then, I WAS a strange kid, far more responsible than any normal kid. Twenty cousins, I was the only grandchild allowed to drive the tractors. I also drove the fork lift! But they only let me drive the old McCormick (late '30s) if my dad or granddad was with me. They thought it was much too dangerous (and were probably right!) for a kid to drive alone.
Tractors only take one moment's distraction to be able to to destroy a man. Sometimes, they don't even need that much.

Take the time. Baby the leg for as long as you must. Then exercise it to get back into shape. Heal fast, and get really well soon!

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 am

Sorry to hear it.

In 1986 I had a motorcycle accident that compounded (In more ways than one, including the medical term for the fracture) an existing leg injury from which I had just been given a medical discharge from the Army. My Mom was up there at the hospital telling my wife how she should tell me I should never get on that thing again. She enjoyed riding as much as I did and she told her "I ain't telling him nothing. That's up to him." I was back on it before I was off crutches. I remember my wife following me to a doctor's appointment with my crutches in the car. I parked the bike in the handicap space and waited for her to bring my crutches so I could walk inside. I was young and recovered as well as I could. I already had severe arthritis from the Army injury at the ripe old age of 22. I'd hate to think about going through that recovery now.

We must all make choices and 'risk analysis'. You should do whatever you feel you need to do to make your hobby enjoyable to you. I am certainly no safety nut, but I would give ANYTHING tied around my neck another thought. It might have saved you in this instance, but may kill you in the next one.

Barth_Tool_Co
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Alvord
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Touring

Post by Barth_Tool_Co » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:42 am

From a fellow Michigander... Glad it wasn't worse!

I broke my heel bone when I fell after a corn crib roof collapsed on me a few years ago... blew up the bone into a few pieces. They did surgery and screwed it all back together but I was down for 2 weeks waiting for surgery and another 2-3 weeks after that waiting for it to heal some to move around. After that I got a scooter so I could get out into the yard and feed the chickens/work in the garage, etc. I think it was 12 weeks before they let me put any weight on it. I moved to a cane some time later and used that for a few months until I no longer needed it.

I had budget physical therapy due to our insurance situation at the time so I had to make some of my own PT equipment but after the first week of PT it was remarkably less painful... I think a lot of the stuff they moved around during the surgery snapped back into place in the first few visits. Flash forward to today and I have 80% use that I had before in that foot. If I work it hard all day it does get sore after I sit down for awhile and then get back up but so far so good... stiffens up while resting I guess.

I was able to get stuff done during my "sabbatical" but I couldn't do anything that required me to use that foot heavily for several months. Hang in there! When I broke it I was pretty bummed, though in trouble big time but in the end things turned out better than I thought they would... there is light at the end of the tunnel.
... and my number is Beechwood 4-5789
1926 Touring - "Corrina"

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:23 am

THEY DON'T MAKE IT VERY EASY TO SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE,JUST WANTED TO SEND YOU OLDAV8TOR BEST WISH FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY, FROM SOME ONE THAT DID A SIMILAR THING, ONLY IT WAS MY NIECE THAT FOUND ME,WOUND UP IN A POWER TAKE OFF.THAT WAS FORTY YEARS AGO, STILL MAKES MY CHEST HURT WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT.WHEN I DON'T THINK ABOUT IT IT DON'T BOTHER ME.FIRST FEW DAYS KEEP THE JONN9IE WALKER CLOSE BY AND CHICKEN SOUP. ---WHAT BIRD DID FLY, GREG

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Damn, man that hurts just reading it!! Sorry you have to go thru this, get well soon.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Mark Nunn
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 pm

When I had my 9N I could occasionally feel the chains hitting the toe of my boots when backing up. I knew then the risks and I tried to be safe. I eventually moved up to a larger and safer tractor. Although I miss that little tractor, I don't miss the chance of ending up like Tim. My best to you, Tim, for a rapid recovery.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:37 pm

I couldn't help thinking of this when plowing with the 2N this morning...
Never recall touching the tires, but I have came close to getting my boot stuck under the bar in front of the the clutch pedal !!

We can never be too careful...

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm

If sharing my experience spares someone else from such an injury I will be very grateful. The support I've received from the Model T community has been a great comfort. Your stories of similar experiences show me that I can get thru this too. Thank you all.

I thought you might like to see what the doc did to me. I told him if he enjoyed metal work he could always work on my Model T.
IMG_0785.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Tim, I cant tell from this angle but are those phillips head screws or slot head?

otrcman

Post by otrcman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:33 pm

I guess I could live with Phillips head providing it didn't show (But it would always bug me just the same.)

I'd draw the line at metric, though. I've had a couple of cars that were "mixed metric" and I never knew what wrench to try first. Hated that. Besides, I still believe that metric is un-American. And I'm too old to change !

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:56 pm

My initial leg injury was in Germany, and I was taken to a German civilian hospital. They installed a screw that was to have to be removed 4-6 weeks later. That surgery was to be performed at a US Army hospital. I have to admit, I wondered if they were going to have the proper tools to remove it. I could just see them only having standard tools and the screw was metric. It was some kind of socket head. Square, Allen, Torx. Something like that.

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:38 pm

I'll have to ask the doc about the screw heads. I know the screws are stainless steel so they wouldn't be appropriate for a Model T in any case. He also told me that at some time the long screw would break between the bones. He said they used to remove it at about four months but experience has shown that it does no harm if simply left.

Does that mean I'll be walking around with a screw loose? Is there no end to the indignities I must endure?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:13 pm

Not a problem Tim, just ask him to put a cotter pin in for you. At a slight fee of course.

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm

My left leg was messed up in a motorcycle wreck, I was T boned in 1985. I still have the rod that runs inside the length of my tibia.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

sgfmodelt
First Name: steve
Last Name: farley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 touring, 22 centerdoor, 23 touring, 24 coupe

Post by sgfmodelt » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:09 am

Hi Tim, Just heard from one of the club members. Thought I was having a rough time with my prostate that grew up into my bladder. That part was removed and then the "rota router" job done. "turp" Then blockage of dead flesh so the procedure was re done, then blood clot blockage, then an infection, then a kidney stone came down and got caught in that area. A total of 5 1/2 months of up and down pain. Three Hospital stays and several doctor and clinic trips. Now nine months later, the plumbing is like I'm back in my 30's-40's again! So greatfull. The reason I am telling you this is that during the times you think your future may be bleak, it may end up better than before. This may be because you will realize all the hundreds of body parts that are working so good that you take them for granted and give them no thought. Hoping for you a fast and at least a 90 recovery. My thoughts are with you. Call me and I'll write your number down in the book this time. Sincerely, Steve

Brian D
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Dowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring 26 Runnabout 19 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 52162
MTFCI Number: 205

Post by Brian D » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:59 pm

I went up to see Tim at Port Huron Hospital as he was sitting in pre-op. His wife Joan was there also. Tim was in great sprits talking about getting his 17 Touring on the road for this spring.
His first Model T.
This late fall I took Tim, Joan & my wife Kelly for a ride, Tim was hooked!!! Bought his T.
First thing, his friend Gene, Tim and I, we yanked the motor and had it rebuilt. While it was gone we rebuilt the rear end and had it ready to put in. Tim was plowing snow getting ready for a day of good ole Model T commerodery working together. That's just fun!.
We're going to give him just a little time, not much and will drag him out to the garage to supervise!
Gene and I could use a little help putting the rear end and motor in, just a day of fun.
We're going to get him and Joan ready for the Touring season and his first Michigan Jamboree.
We're working on getting Gene his first Model T.
No one can have just one!
People who wonder if the glass is half empty or half full, miss the point. The glass is refillable.
Life is Good, be nice.

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:49 pm

If you don't know already, Brian Dowell (Brian_d) was just elected president of the MTFCI. The club is very lucky to have him. I have never known anyone so enthusiastic and energetic as he is when it comes to Model T's. When I bought the '17 I got a lot more than just a car ---- his ongoing help and most importantly, friendship, has made the experience so far (with one exception) one of the most enjoyable of my life. He has also been there when I needed to see a friendly face. Thanks Brian.

Brian mentioned my other friend Gene. I've known him for over 30 years but due to life and circumstances, had pretty much lost touch with him beyond the occasional email. When I got the T, we reconnected and he has been at my side most of the way, cheerfully turning wrenches and enjoying the learning, planning and what-all that is part of the process. I can honestly say that what I am experiencing now has been missing from my life for a long time and I credit the Model T for making it happen.

I've met and communicated with so many wonderful people thru this forum and the Casual T's club in SE Michigan, even though I have yet to drive my Model T! I can only imagine the fun when I get it on the road and can take part in tours and other social events.

If I have one regret, it is that I waited until I was 69 to do all this. Nonetheless, I'm having a great adventure and it is all thanks to you, the Model T community. Sorry if I sound too melodramatic.... blame it on the drugs :-)
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488

Post by Duey_C » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Yikes! What a story and picture but safety reminders are always needed. Ya, that's gonna hurt awhile. ;)
Cripes, it looks like a repair on a fancy table leg but they sure took a nice GE pic for ya.
Sure, it might be the drugs talking but you're right. Antique cars, old machinery and forums ARE perfect tools for making friends!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:58 pm

So how is the old man doing? I see you posting so that is good. Just checking.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Wondering the same thing John.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:33 am

I read that you had broken your leg in another post. Just happened across this just now. Am so very sorry for your accident. I was a kid with lousy insurance when a Norton and a bridge abutment tried to take my right leg. Was in a cast up to my hip for 4 months and a lower leg cast for almost a year; a "walking cast". I joined a square dance group at a local church and for 6 months every step was almost half as bad as the accident, but it was great therapy and stimulation for bone growth. As a 22y/o man in a crowd of widows, I was a very popular partner, but alas, I did not seek out any dates. :lol:

best wishes for a speedy recovery and easy transition through therapy.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks to all for your concern.... right now, boredom is my biggest problem. It'll be another 4-6 weeks before I'm allowed to put any weight on my leg and resume physical therapy. The main issue now is dealing with the hole that my tibia poked in my leg. I go to a wound clinic every week and they hope to have it healed in another two-three weeks. They don't want to take any chance of an infection spreading to the bone.

As soon as the ice in my driveway melts I should be able to ride my "yard sale " scooter to my shop and accomplish a few things on the T. I have friends to do the heavy lifting but at least I'll be able to "supervise".

Like the rest of you....I'm waiting for spring and better times.

Tim

Scott: Yeow! Your story made me wince. You've had it tougher than me... I will admit to being a little worried about what happens when they let me try to walk. Almost everything I love to do requires two functioning legs... hopefully I will show the courage you did and make it work.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:54 am

Tim

I was a starving watchmaker when I busted myself up. My Dr. told me not to worry about $$, as he would take $25/month for as long as it took if it came to that. He also kept me in a cast for nearly a year rather than a $$ brace. He told me any time I wanted to "visit my leg" to come into his office and they would cut the top side open and let me scratch my shin with gause. Then they rewrapped it. It was one ugly cast by the end of the year. He was wonderful, and got flowers to his office for years on my accident's anniversary.

When I first stood alone, I was surrounded by staff...the nurse said "men are wimps and they try to faint, but women just walk out the door". I stood up with trepidation and really got woozy...she wasn't kidding, and it's a good thing she was a sturdy gal. as they worked to keep me propped up. It's all in your head, or was at least in mine...somewhere in the back of my mind I saw that thing just going to mush. Very odd feeling.

See how much zany fun is in your future?!?

get well, my friend.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:36 pm

I've had a few inquiries asking how I was getting along. The good news is that starting yesterday the doc is allowing me to put some weight on the busted leg. 25% for the first week, then a week at 50% and so on. If all goes well and he gives the OK, on April 18th the air boot comes off and PT begins. My wound should be fully healed in another week or two so I'll finally be able to take a shower! That will make everyone around me happy.

Thanks for all the concern and well-wishes.... within the next few days I'll be heading out to the shop and getting back to work on my Model T. :D
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks for the update Tim! Glad to hear your getting along with the plan and getting healed. Hope your in the shop soon.

tinman080
First Name: gary
Last Name: hammond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by tinman080 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:59 am

Best of Luck Buddy! Please install a KILL SWITCH under your tractor seat, cheap insurance. No preaching, just a suggestion. Gary :D
''Just Passin' Thru.....Slowly! :D

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 am

And here I was opening the forum today and going to ask a question about buying a vintage Ford tractor for my son and his new rural property...never-mind!

Ouch…ouch…ouch…

As you sit there pondering, don’t be bored…my advice is to mentally go through everything that you do in life and think through how to get ‘er done for the next two years! Voice of experience here, most are aware my left knee-cap exploded into over 50 pieces while doing a T favor for someone. Pieces too small to even find room for any pin so the trauma orthopod sat there with tweezers and super-glue until he was satisfied he had ‘scored’ a ‘win’. My 2 year anniversary will be May 3rd and I’m almost there as to mobility with a few quirks.

It was my son who came up with the idea to mentally think future things through as a way to not focus on my actual situation and I’m happy he suggested it. Lots of gadgets, a few grab rails, a few of those handicap shower seats modified in different ways at different set heights, a ‘handicap’ 2-step step-stool with the handlebars, things like that.

Although well down the road, I’d also counsel that before you actually ‘feel great’ and do something “aggressive” that you ALWAYS have someone to check with. I double downed on therapy just because I'm stubborn, run the Tour-d-France daily on a recumbent exercise bike (to keep flexible), and try to tell myself my knee is not a barometer! My warning comes from first hand experience too. I have a mechanical wire-spring shunt around my knee-cap that bypasses the load from the quadracep’s and transfers it to the lower Patella ligament and vice-versa to keep the kneecap out of a tension struggle. (It sort of looks like one of those steering stabilizer T things that loads against the front axle). My aggression in therapy caused one of the 4 anchors to break and I got scolded. A few months later, I snapped the 2nd anchor and I not only got scolded, I got screamed at! He now refuses to go look for “pieces” and has written in my file that the risks of future surgery will outweigh any benefit...and told me to only call him if I wake up in the morning with one of the anchor wires poking out. It was a bit of a smiling snarl but I have a point for you.

I was told it would take a full two years of rehab, and what each turn in the road would be as goals. I decided I’d double down with effort, do it sooner. I didn’t beat the system…it will take the full two years and I may have actually compromised something in there along the way trying to beat the time-line.

Good luck and best wishes

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:46 pm

I'm at 50% weight bearing now and have been doing some work in the shop. A friend came over and took the chains off my tractor and used the blade to level the gravel in my 600 foot driveway. I couldn't help but look at the offending fender and tire and wondering how my foot ever got sucked in between them. I'm working on some ideas for a guard of some type. I'm also looking at some kind of easily accessible kill switch, maybe with a tether. Old technology comes with risks - the trick is to learn how to minimize them. As true with a Model T as anything.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Today, January 21st, is the one year anniversary of breaking my ankle in a freak tractor accident. I'm not fully recovered but able to do a lot of things without needing a cane.... I run out of steam quicker than I used to but I'm still functional.

Today I also faced a situation similar to a year ago.... enough snow drifted between my house and pole barn that it needed to be removed. Despite the protests of my wife and daughter who didn't want me to tempt fate, I climbed aboard the old Ford and spent about an hour cleaning the snow away. Thankfully, this time we didn't need to call the fire department and ambulance. Needless to say, I kept my feet tucked in and had my cell phone in my pocket.

It's been a long year with lots of ups and downs but I'm in a much better place today. The folks on this forum were a great help not only in advice on the restoration of my Model T but in keeping my spirits up. My thanks to all of you :)
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:21 am

Kind of a funny thing. Just today, on a six hour ride with my grown son (a fine man!), I told him about this! I didn't realize it was the actual one year date, but told him it was just a year ago this month. We had helped his girlfriend move up to Oregon as she wants to continue her college education. They (wisely) wanted me to drive the U-haul and trailer because I have so many thousands of miles experience driving trucks and towing trailers. After completing the move he and I were headed back to Grass Valley and just chatting about this and that. I was going on about the model T forum and its community spirit, how many of us feel like family here, and mentioned your accident.
I have read numerous posts by you, and knew you were doing well, but not quite the same yet as before. I am pleased to hear that you are continuing to get better, and back on the tractor again! However, please do be careful.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488

Post by Duey_C » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:59 pm

Good to hear Tim! Improvement is improvement. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Yesterday, since the ground was frozen, I was pulling dead ash trees from my woods up to the barn lot with my little Ford 641. It is a mate to the NAA. This thread reminded me to look at the fender to tire clearance. It is scary to think of what can happen on the left side with the clutch there and all.
I love my little 641, but I am a little more cautious since reading this.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866

Post by KeithG » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi Tim, I don't ordinarily read this OT section but now I'm up to date.
I am certainly glad that you're coming along sort of ok after all you've been through. I hope you're even better by the time the EAA show comes in late July. I know you'll really enjoy it, and all the better if you can walk without serious pain. As it is now, we'll only be there for the last day or two of the event, but looking forward to seeing you, and hopefully you'll be driving your T!!!!!

Best wishes for a success full remainder of your recovery.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Keith,
Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm still dealing with the aftermath of the accident in the form of pain in my right hip (the opposite leg) probably due to nerve damage. That said, I'm working on my Model T and when it warms up a bit I'll be out driving it. My plans are to trailer it to Oshkosh and join the Dairyland Tin Lizzies in exposing visitors to Oshkosh (the world's largest aviation event) to the joys of Model T's. The one fly in the ointment at this point is what the Corona Virus is going to be doing by that time. I can't imagine Oshkosh being cancelled but at this point who knows? These are challenging times......
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic