I-81 through Virginia

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

I-81 through Virginia

Post by Hal » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 am

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I had never been so glad to get out of a state as I was yesterday to get off 81 and onto 77 and finally into NC. I swear, although it is less than 250 miles, it seems like 850 miles heading south down 81 to 77. People ride in the left lane for miles going the same speed as the vehicle to their right in the right lane. There can be 20 cars backed up behind them and they are totally oblivious.

The bright side is that the Shenandoah Valley is absolutely beautiful, but I'm dang glad I'm through it and home finally.

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Re: I-81 through Virginia

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:14 am

Yup, and it is not just 81. Not moving to the right lane to allow faster cars to pass is fairly common here, just plain inconsiderate drivers.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:33 am

Tom Hicks wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:14 am
Yup, and it is not just 81. Not moving to the right lane to allow faster cars to pass is fairly common here, just plain inconsiderate drivers.
Hey Tom, I would think you are quite used to that kind of frustrating stuff being close to I-95...For me that interstate is the worst. I would take I-81 over I-95 any day

By the way, I very much enjoyed our conversation yesterday!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Topic author
Hal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 am

The state must recognize it because they had electronic signs over the interstate saying something to the effect of "Camp out in state parks, not the left lane." I thought that was funny. Obviously, some weren't paying attention.

I have to agree about 95. I'd take 81 over 95 any day.

Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:14 am

95 Fredericksburg to DC is terrible, more crowded than 81. We often take 301 from south of Fredericksburg when heading north, a much more relaxing drive, but that can get crowded too. They have appropriated the funds to extend the HOV to Fredericksburg which will help a little.

Virginia Railway Express runs DC to Fredericksburg and DC to Manassas. It is a double decker commuter train and your time can be spent on your phone rather than dealing with traffic.

My wife often goes to NYC and take Amtrak, $93 one way is less than tolls and gas for driving. Plus, when you arrive you don't have to deal with parking which is pricy. Usually you can sleep on the train, it is much roomier than a plane.

81 tends to have more truck traffic than 95, but they are both bad, and made worse by inconsiderate left lane drivers.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Loftfield
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:04 am

Imagine, being blocked from passing by slow cars in the left lane while driving your Model T.....just dreaming.

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:59 pm

And another thing I have noticed that is RUDE,
We have a WaWa that gets very busy in the afternoon. It has 12 pumps and this afternoon every pump had a car, then there were three cars waiting behind driver's who were pumping so they could get gas. But SIX of the cars sitting at a pump had no driver and no one filling the tank.

Drivers here often fill their tank, then instead of moving their car before going inside, just leave it parked at the pump while they saunter in to get their lottery tickets, sub sandwich, talk to their friends, or whatever. Maybe it is just a local thing, but it has been SOP for years here.

Topic author
Hal

Post by Hal » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:46 am

Perhaps they were inside pre-paying for their gas?

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:14 am

Hal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:46 am
Perhaps they were inside pre-paying for their gas?
That is certainly possible. I always pay at the pump so I had not considered it.

And I have not watched closely enough to know what exactly is going on, but I have observed it for years. I have not seen drivers pullup to the pump and then go in. They pull up, pump, and then go in.

Maybe they park in regular parking, go in, buy some stuff, leave their credit card (why not use it at the pump), then move their car to a pump, fill up, then go back to pay and get their card back?

How does prepay work at WaWa?

Topic author
Hal

Post by Hal » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:29 am

Tom,

I'm not familiar with Wawa. Around here, it has been decades since most stores will allow you to pump without paying first. Too many folks driving off without paying.

I see people paying cash for gas and it is sad sometimes. They will ask for $5 or something like that sometimes. I have to wonder if that was all they could afford.

I prefer to pay at the pump as well, although i will still go inside afterwards sometimes to get a coffee. I'm there way early before things are busy, so there are still a lot of empty pumps. There are still a few stores around here that do not have a card reader on the pump. I try to avoid those. The exception is the one closest to my house. I will take my tractor up there for diesel. And, they let me pump first on that one. Guess they figure I can't get away too awfully fast on a tractor.

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:58 am

Tom,

That rudeness is not confined to your area, it is everywhere. Many times they come out, get back in their car & then start texting while still sitting at the pump! I couldn't tell you how many times I have gotten out of my truck & banged on their window to tell them to move. Most of them are clueless that they are doing anything wrong.

Every time I go by a Wawa, the George Harrison song is stuck in my head for the rest of the day! :D :D

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic