Electrics and autonomouses

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Electrics and autonomouses

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:33 am

GM Chief Executive Mary Barra said in April the automaker would make an electric full-size pickup, but provided no further details. The company has said it plans to invest $8 billion to develop electric and self-driving vehicles, launching 20 new EVs globally by 2023.

"GM believes in an all-electric future and we are making great progress in that area," she said. "We have announced that a pickup truck will be part of our future portfolio, but have no additional information to provide."
GM is aiming to be one of the first in what is soon to be a crowded market for electric trucks and SUVs.
Well-funded Michigan startup Rivian has announced plans to build an electric pickup — a premium version of which will top $90,000 — followed by an electric SUV, beginning in fall 2020. It also has a contract with investor Amazon to build up to 100,000 electric delivery vans for the e-commerce giant.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/18/hum ... yptr=yahoo

$8B for electric and self driving vehicles? They must think it will work.

And Fall 2020 for electric pick up and SUV? That's not to far away...
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Electrics and autonomouses

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:27 am

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:13 pm

A very expensive electric off-road vehicle will compete well against equally high priced Mercedes and Cadillac off-road vehicles which never take on anything more challenging than traffic jams.

If you actually intend to do any Sports/Utility work with it, be sure to buy the extra-long charge cord:
Attachments
Morrison Jeep trail.jpeg
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:11 am

Is it possible that when you buy a new car five years from now that the most popular will be electric?
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:09 pm

Ford plans to produce autonomous cars for ridesharing by 2021.

Plus, Farley clarified that Ford is aiming for the initial commercialization of self-driving services by 2021 and can build on its scale after the launch. He added how Ford’s self-driving ambitions are different than those of other companies: “While most others are focusing on the tech race, our team is focused on the customer.”

https://marketrealist.com/2019/10/fords ... yptr=yahoo

46woodduck
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:28 am

No problem charging on the road, just put a Honda generator in the back and take it along. You won't even need a long cord.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 pm

So you'd carry a gasoline-powered generator with you...to recharge your green electric car.

Using a 4000W generator, it will take you around 24 hours and multiple tanks of gasoline to fully charge the vehicle, and if you only do a partial charge, If you use a Generac IQ2000 generator, you should be able to get about 12-18 miles per gallon of gasoline.

Huh.
Scott Conger

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:42 pm

GM announced a restructuring last November that would, among other things, prioritize the company’s investment in electric vehicles. Then in January, the company said it would be moving away from hybrids to all-electric vehicles. A GMC executive also said the company had interest in making all-electric GMC SUVs and pickup trucks.
https://electrek.co/2019/03/22/gm-new-chevrolet-ev/

Difficult to believe that both Ford and GM are so stupid that they think there is a future in electric vehicles. If they would just read the MTFCA forum they would know how ridiculous electric cars are and that they are throwing away billions.

Lots of money to be made here, just short F and GM.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Standardized Quick Change Electric Car Batteries

Post by Novice » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:29 am

This electric car thing wont fly well until Bucky's installs fast chargers. Gas Today at Murphy's was $2.08 a gallon hard for electric cars to compete with cheap gas and if every one had a electric car the grid couldn't handle the load and You would haft to schedule when to charge your car. To make electric cars really take off You need Standardized quick swap battery packs that fit all electric cars where You just pull into a station swap the battery and are on Your way in the same time or less it takes to fill up with gas. like propane tanks for the BBQ grill just swap and go.

My 2 cents worth maybe less

Hal
First Name: Hal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:05 pm

You don't get something for nothing. It takes a certain amount of energy to propel a vehicle down the road. One could bring efficiencies into the equation, but the fact remains, it is going to take x amount of energy to accelerate a mass to some velocity and overcome friction in the system including air resistance. It doesn't matter where that energy comes from. It takes the same amount to do the same job. Now, electrical energy is gonna depend on volts, amps, and time. I saw a guy plug a Fusion into a 120 volt 15 amp outlet the other day. The very best he can hope for is 1800 watts, probably less, as I imagine charging a battery is an inductive load, but I'm not positive. 1800 watts is 2.4 horsepower. If he charged his battery for 8 hours while he was at work, he has put enough energy into his battery that he could use less than 20 hp (19.2) for one hour, or 40 hp for 30 minutes, 80 hp for 15 minutes, you get the picture. And this is assuming 100% efficiency. How much hp does it take to push a car down the road? If this is gonna be feasible, it's gonna take a lot more than 15 amps, or a lot more than 120 volts, or both. This not an opinion. This is pure and simple math. The 1st law of thermodynamics states essentially that energy can not be created nor destroyed, only changed in form.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:59 pm

So, Hal. Does this mean you don't intend to carry a full size generator and extra gasoline with you on long trips in your new Tesla ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was in the process of moving to WY, I always had to be careful which hotel/motel I chose so as to have adequate parking and egress for my truck and trailer. One new Ramada in Missouri in the middle of nowhere had 20 (TWENTY!) spaces to charge electric cars, but no place for my rig. I spoke to the kid at the desk and he told me to park out back...I said there were only charging spaces out back and I'd block most if not all of them. His response: "No worries...no one ever uses them anyway".
Scott Conger

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:04 pm

I am not trained to give financial advice, but it is pretty obvious that the experts on MTFCA Forum know that electric and autonomous vehicles will fail. There is easy money to be made here. Just short F or GM or any of the major car companies investing in electrics and autonomouses. There is even an ETF, ticker symbol DRIV, which might interest you as it also includes many of the companies making support parts.

So don't just talk about how stupid all the major car companies are, make a fortune off of their stupidity. There loss is your gain! Short them now, in five years you will have made so much money you can buy lots of Model T's!!!

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:16 pm

If you want to short anyone, maybe the battery manufacturers are the ones to invest in....
After battery life is exhausted, new ones can cost as much as the car ! :shock:
I can buy a lot of 6Vs for that. :D

I’ll keep my still going to fuel my T when gas is unobtainable :lol:

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 pm

When the government packs us all into 200sq/ft highrise huts and issues travel vouchers for travel days and approved travel distance and destination, autonomous cars will be the berries. I doubt that they will be coming to me or my friends out here anytime soon though.

As far as electric vehicles go, it was proven in the 1890's that they worked just fine. When economics and infrastructure catch up/evolve, they'll be fine again, and see extended use, I'm sure. With an expected US reserve in the ground of 150+ years of oil, and elastic prices (higher prices = less consumption), the supply could last longer still. If gasoline was $6/gallon (in any place other than the left coast), electric would start to be really economical... assuming there was a very cheap source of power to recharge batteries. And very cheap batteries whose raw materials were supplied by people who didn't want to kill or dominate us. And an inexpensive way to dispose of used batteries with no polution, and will run at -20F with no loss of performance or distance. Until then, like the teens and twenties, I suspect reliable, expensive electrics will be playthings of the rich, or cheap yard art for the middle class. I can just see them now, up on blocks, with their battery hanging from a cable slung over a tree branch. Now, if you stamp out and make internal combustion illegal, then that's another story. Frankly, my 29 year old jeep (used for every trip to town) is the greenest frickin' thing you could find. It has not been melted down and turned into a car 5X over, with the resultant energy/material usage associated each time for a new car. You may all thank me by each sending a $1 bill to me and consider it a carbon credit for your use.

Like Hal stated: "You don't get something for nothing." From my perspective, battery materials must be mined, electricity must be generated and delivered, hazardous materials must be disposed of...all at what ecological/energy/financial cost? There are enormous costs involved that are never addressed by visionaries. And speaking of visionaries, I rember an ad once where a polar bear (that was going extinct) hugged a driver for driving an electric car. There aren't many electric cars on the road to date, and yet the polar bear population is exploding, relatively speaking. If there were a lot more electric cars, we could very well end up to our necks in polar bears, and we don't need that. ;)

Tom, I don't think there are any experts here hoping to short GM, but there is at least one member here who wonders how the love of old fossil-fueled cars and the seemingly rapturous anticipation of their extinction can simultaneously coexist in one person. It is I suppose, what makes the world go round and adds to the diversity of our existance.
Scott Conger

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 pm
Tom, I don't think there are any experts here hoping to short GM, but there is at least one member here who wonders how the love of old fossil-fueled cars and the seemingly rapturous anticipation of their extinction can simultaneously coexist in one person.
Wow! Who posts here who has a rapturous anticipation of the extinction fossil fueled cars?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:27 am

It will be interesting to see if fossil fueled and electric can simultaneously co-exist concurrently at the same time while coinciding as they occur. Difficult to see how they could share the road...

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:16 am

This whole electric and autonousmousy vehicle story is a big hoax being pushed for financial gain. All the major car companies have been fooled into investing billions into a system that just won't work. Any fool can see it won't work. Business analysts, market analysts, brokers, major banks are all on board with the biggest financial hoax ever pushed and the sheeple believe them. Either none of these people are very bright or they are conspiring to defraud.

You, however, can profit handsomely from their greed and stupidity! For example, you can sell Ford stock even though you don't own it. You will have to buy it back at some point, but if the buy back price is lower than what you sold it for you made money. In the case of Ford, when they go bankrupt the stock will be worth 0, so your profit is 100% Yes, you will have to pay Capital Gains on that, but it is still easy money. It is a no-brainer. Many others will be astute enough to see this opportunity as they become aware of the enormous losses the auto industry is about to incur.

All of this is obvious to members of this board who really know the auto industry, but as more and more of the general public realize reality the opportunity to profit will fade.

Don't buy the hype, electric and autonomous vehicles can't work, but Big Autos loss can be your gain!

Hal
First Name: Hal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 am

Nobody said it couldn't work. They just pointed out problems, and some very real ones. You are welcome to check my math. The power grid will not support EVERYONE converting to electric cars. It already won't support the usage we have now in places.

I have to wonder (I did not read any of the links posted earlier), how much of the money being spent is government subsidies? That is certainly how we ended up with solar farms on every vacant spot of land in this area. Without the subsidies, they will never pay for themselves.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:15 am

But before you start selling short... consider the following.

Young people these days (I am generalizing about those 35 and younger) don't really enjoy the things we used to. They don't like cutting firewood, tending a woodstove, doing yardwork, painting and repairs around the house, etc. Most don't know how to drive a car with a standard transmission and don't care to learn. They don't like dirt, grease, or hard physical labor although they spend plenty of time at the gym. They like living in lofts in urban areas where they can walk to bars and restaurants. They don't like killing and cleaning chickens or hogs. They want fresh vegetables close by. Many don't even own a car, they prefer uBer, Lyft, and public transport. For that cohort, getting on their phone and having an autonomous electric vehicle arrive to take them where they want to go is a no brainer. You can even drink and ride, plus they are inherently safer than a car you have to drive yourself. They can also be a lot cheaper than owning a car and dealing with maintenance, insurance, gas, and parking.

The population is aging. Many elderly people in the suburbs will be able to stay in their houses longer if they can have an autonomous electric vehicle pick them up and take them where they need to go. I am within five miles of about everything I need from Home Depot to doctors to pharmacies, to auto parts stores, to restaurants, etc. For many elderly people it will be less expensive to just use an autonomous electric instead of the costs of vehicle ownership.

Will autonomous electric vehicles work for those who live in rural areas where you have to drive 15 miles to get to a town that has almost nothing to offer? Probably not, those people will have to keep driving themselves wherever. But for the majority of the population autonomous electric vehicles could work for the majority of their transportation needs. A rental car would do for trips. And when done on a large scale, autonomous electric vehicles could not just be safer and more convenient, they could be less expensive.

So the question is, will the general public accept them? Hmmmm, maybe better wait on those shorts until more data is in...

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 am

On our side of the pond in the Netherlands full electric and hybrid cars are heavily subsidised by the government, up to about half of the total cost of the car is tax deductable, so no wonder the car companies sell a lot of them.
It won't be long that the power grid here won't be able to handle the load. A full tank of gas, or two full battery loads for your electric car, equals about the same amount of energy a normal family of four household uses in two weeks.
What i do not get is that the people who should know in government and in environmental lobby groups ignore this fact, and let us believe it can be done without enormous investments in our power grid system, guess who's going to pay for that...
So producing an electric car may basicly be as expensive as producing a 'normal' car, and maintenance of an electric car might be a bit cheaper, the investment needed in the grid will make the true cost of the electric cars a lot less optimistic than we are made to believe by the 'green lobby' people.
In the core it is all simple physics, to get a certain mass from A to B requires the same amount of energy no matter how you do it, gasoline or diesel are simply a very energy rich medium to transport, and more importantly store, that energy.
Storing energy in a battery in not that efficient, as anybody knows who found their battery empty after a couple of weeks in the garage, and also you put more energy into your battery than you are ever going to get out of it because of internal losses during charging and discharging.
As long as electricity is a cheap source of energy that is not so bad, but as demand rises you can bet your a## it is going to be more and more expensive.
Then there is the question of range, the electric cars of today are still lacking in that department, as they were in the past, and i don't see that problem solved in the near future, so for longer distance travel beyond the daily commute, people will have to resort to more airtravel, so much for the environment...
I like our gasoline power conventional cars, i love the hobby, but for a daily commute to work i couldn't care less as long it gets me there dry and toasty, heck i'd go electric myself IF it was a viable alternative, but i don't think so, i think in the end it will show that the cost will be prohibitive and it will be a niche market at best.
If our leaders in their endless wisdom decide to ban gas in the future, i will build a wood gasifier for my T and drive that, it burns wood, so is sustainable energy according to their vieuws, so sue me :lol:
(sorry for the rant, couldn't contain myself :roll: )
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Fordwright
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Popove

Post by Fordwright » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 pm

There's good potential for an electric pickup truck that's actually used for running around locally and "picking up" stuff, but having worked in several resource industries, particularly in Canada, fuel range is a problem, even for conventional diesel pickups. Some revolutionary changes will need to happen in energy density storage, at least by a magnitude before they begin to supplant petroleum trucks.

Highway travel uses less energy than the type of heavy hauling and back-roads travel that a working pickup has to do. These trucks do a lot more hard work than move bums from place A to place B as a car does. Even a highway hauler works within a fairly predictable range of energy demands, and current technology is close to providing an electric solution, but most of the hard working pickups will probably remain using petroleum for the foreseeable future.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:39 pm

The avalanch of demand by folks (mostly urban) will indeed be met by industry. That's what's great about Capitalism.

What's sad is that those demanding it typically do not know that there are huge costs associated with this technology change, but who among their supporters cares? Someone else will pay for it through higher taxes and buyers will reap gov't subsidies. The same proponents frequently are fearful of Capitalism (which has created the greatest benefits to mankind ever, from comfort, to technology, to longevity of life) and are fully embracing Communism, which has brought nothing but misery, want, and death/destruction on an incalculable scale.

Propaganda in the universities has done it's job, and the car companies will simply fulfil a demand that (presently) has no basis in logic. The rest of this social change will play out as well.

Is it not ironic that the US has cut CO2 emissions to 1980's levels, while China is building hundreds of Coal Fired power plants and has horrific air quality in nearly all cities? That China sells us batteries for cars, while we have 150 years of cheap energy in the ground, but shouldn't be allowed to use it? Right now, the state that leads in electric car ownership is on fire, has rolling blackouts, and electric car owners realize that there is no way to charge their cars and admitting that they are packing up their gas vehicles so as to be SURE to get to a safe location.

It would seem to me that we have a little while to develop the infrastructure for alternative fuel cars, yet the rush is on to do significant damage to our economy and lifestyle in the meantime.

I am frankly glad to be living in the middle of nowhere...
Scott Conger

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:39 pm
I am frankly glad to be living in the middle of nowhere...
Living in the middle of nowhere is an interesting choice. For some it is not a choice, they were born and raised there and are not smart enough to leave. I have a friend from Appalachia with 12 brothers and sisters. He and two of his siblings got out back in the 80's. the ones who did not leave now have a myriad of problems. It was a coal mining area and now is a mecca for hillbilly heroin, disability, poverty, crime, food stamps, etc. Many of those who remain inherited property there and did fine as long as there was work in the mines, now they can't do mining so they do drugs. Black Lung is not pretty. He has some nice property there, but he doesn't want to retire there because of what the area has become and there is nothing to do. Well, you can go out and shoot some deer, but you can do that anywhere in the state.

My wife and I considered retirement there, living is cheap and the land is beautiful, but it gets boring after a couple of days and you have to drive forever to get anywhere. Even autonomous electric cars won't help these people, their range is not far enough.

Is the generalization that elderly people who live in isolated area get crotchety, self-righteous, and narrow minded true? Would autonomous electric with enough range help solve that?

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:18 pm

I am so glad to be moving out away from people. Whenparts stores are offering batteries with 10-15 year warranties then that will be my sign that maybe batteries are better.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:47 pm

babychadwick wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:18 pm
I am so glad to be moving out away from people. Whenparts stores are offering batteries with 10-15 year warranties then that will be my sign that maybe batteries are better.
I bought an AGM battery for about double the cost of a regular battery, and it worked fine for 10 years. I lost it when someone saw the sticker with the installation date, and threw it out without consulting me.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:04 am

Ford Motor Co. announced Sept. 25 it will begin testing its self-driving cars in Austin, and that might eventually lead to the auto giant launching a public autonomous car service.
Autonomous taxis may be a ways off. But Ford, which is also testing its autonomous technologies in Washington, D.C., and Miami, is making the case that Austin is an ideal candidate to be an early adopter.

In addition to friendly regulations, Texas and the city of Austin have generally welcomed self-driving technologies with open arms — and the state’s size and huge population also make it an attractive place to start self-driving services.
“If you want to successfully launch this type of service, you can’t just drop into a city and start rolling cars out onto the streets,” Marakby wrote. “You need to develop a comprehensive understanding of what people and local businesses would find useful – and that’s exactly what we’ll be doing over the next few years.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... reets.html

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:16 am

Few have driven a Tesla to the point at which the vehicle really starts to show its age. But Tesloop, a shuttle service in Southern California comprised solely of Teslas, was ticking the odometers of its cars well past 300,000 miles with no signs of slowing.
The company’s fleet of seven vehicles—a mix of Model Xs, Model 3s and a Model S—are now among the highest-milage Teslas in the world. They zip almost daily between Los Angeles, San Diego, and destinations in between. Each of Tesloop’s cars are regularly racking up about 17,000 miles per month (roughly eight times the average for corporate fleet mileage). Many need to fully recharge at least twice each day.

Sonnad predicts Tesloop’s Model 3 fleet will see total costs (which includes depreciation, or how much value the car loses before its sold) fall as low as $0.18 to $0.25 per mile after driving past 500,000 miles. That’s less than premium brands such as Mercedes, and even lower than the $0.32 to $0.35 for standard sedans. If high-mileage EVs can be outfitted with cheap refurbished battery packs, Sonnad predicts high-mileage cars that can retain their value will transform the car market collapsing the residual values of used gas cars.

https://qz.com/1737145/the-economics-of ... yptr=yahoo

Vehicles that go over 1/2 million miles without major maintenance?

Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:31 am

Tom Hicks wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:16 am
Few have driven a Tesla to the point at which the vehicle really starts to show its age. But Tesloop, a shuttle service in Southern California comprised solely of Teslas, was ticking the odometers of its cars well past 300,000 miles with no signs of slowing.
The company’s fleet of seven vehicles—a mix of Model Xs, Model 3s and a Model S—are now among the highest-milage Teslas in the world. They zip almost daily between Los Angeles, San Diego, and destinations in between. Each of Tesloop’s cars are regularly racking up about 17,000 miles per month (roughly eight times the average for corporate fleet mileage). Many need to fully recharge at least twice each day.

Sonnad predicts Tesloop’s Model 3 fleet will see total costs (which includes depreciation, or how much value the car loses before its sold) fall as low as $0.18 to $0.25 per mile after driving past 500,000 miles. That’s less than premium brands such as Mercedes, and even lower than the $0.32 to $0.35 for standard sedans. If high-mileage EVs can be outfitted with cheap refurbished battery packs, Sonnad predicts high-mileage cars that can retain their value will transform the car market collapsing the residual values of used gas cars.

https://qz.com/1737145/the-economics-of ... yptr=yahoo

Vehicles that go over 1/2 million miles without major maintenance?
The mechanical parts of a Tesla are very simple. They don't need a network of repair shops like a regular automaker. Essentially, the car is driven by an electric motor between the rear wheels, no transmission, no gasoline engine, and powered by a large bank of rechargeable batteries. It's much less work to do most repairs, and the major work, if needed would be done at a more central location.

The electronics however, is highly sophisticated, but it's not repairable like old-style TVs and radios. Components need to be replaced if they fail, and the systems are sophisticated enough to tell us which ones. Very little specialized skill is required. Software is continually monitored and updated through a communication link with the manufacturer, who know more about the condition of your Tesla than anyone. It's a little like the spacecraft that were launched years ago, and have been updated and repurposed since they were launched, as technology advances.

Reliability is more dependent on intended lifespan and replacement cycle, and less on manufacturing skill than most people think. Modern successful automakers are able to determine how long their cars are expected to last on average, because that skill has become highly developed since the days of Henry Ford. Henry is said to have pioneered the practice by sending men to a number of junkyards, and having them report which parts of the car were least worn out. The answer came back as "king pins." So Henry reduced the quality of the king pins so that they would wear out along with the rest of the car. Even Henry Ford knew that making a car that would last forever would eventually put him out of business, but he knew better than anyone how to make them reliable enough to create fierce brand loyalty among his customers, and that's mainly what made him the richest man in the country at the time.

46woodduck
Last Name: Petry

Post by 46woodduck » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:42 am

Electric cars and california go together.......until they shut off your power and you can't get to work in the morning.
Life is good on the lunatic fringe. Tom

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:16 am

Funny when all the experts say for one reason or another the electric will not work most are thinking cross country.I think i have yet to see note of the small towns and suburbs where many simply use a golf cart.I do not see any in the winter but in late spring through early fall they are all over the place!! I also wonder who is such a expert [know it all] to say the power grid will not handle the extra load?? Myself i do not know either but usually when a problem arises usually a solution is not that far behind? Astounded when the auto shop teacher told that air was going through a engine at 300 mph a dumb kid in 1961 asked what do we breath when all the air has been through a engine!! Old and trying to get even older :D Bud. :D

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:50 am

Ken

you ask the question as though no one knows the answer! Electric cars are coming, and power generation and infrastructure will increase to support it, that's for sure, but probably not without pain, as the folks who want these cars the most, tend to regulate power the most, and heaven forbid that a new power plant be erected...but it eventually will. Capitalism is a beautiful thing. In the US, 53% of our power comes from coal and natural gas, so we'll be burning a ton more of that stuff. And if you wonder HOW much more, experts (which I am not) predict that additional electric consumption in more modest homes can expect to see a 50% increase in power consumption as the cars charge. That's not small change. Of course, those champions of the environment living in 10,000 sq/ft homes in Malibu will see their electric consumption blip by only a fraction, relative to their overall usage. Using Left Coast logic, that makes it almost free!
Scott Conger

aromal31
First Name: aromal
Last Name: haridas

Post by aromal31 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:45 am

Excellent thread...!!!

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:58 pm

I have heard if you want to pickup a lady in California now all you have to do is sit down beside her and smile and say," I have electricity!" :mrgreen:
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Anup2352
First Name: Anup
Last Name: satav

Post by Anup2352 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:12 am

Nice thread...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic