Carter WO Carburetor - Rebuild? New? Who?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Carter WO Carburetor - Rebuild? New? Who?

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:34 am

I run a Carter WO downdraft carb on my speedster. Has worked flawlessly for over 20 years. Now it doesn't... Last time I used the car, it was perfect. Yesterday, I could not get it to idle. Kept stalling... I turned up the idle speed and got through the day at an annoyingly high idle. Obviously, something wrong in the idle circuit. Playing around on the web, I see that brand new, (made in China :x ), WO copies are being sold. Many of them listed on eBay by many "different" sellers, all with poor feedback ratings and strangely, nearly all shipping from Hebron, KY.

So, the questions...
1. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these Chinese copies?
2. Does anyone know of a good rebuilder for a Carter carb?

I'll probably take it apart myself and see if I can find the trouble, but the car is currently on display in the Piquette Plant Museum, so not an opportune spot to work on it and test it. Therefore, tempted to have it professionally "rebuilt". Somewhat less tempted to buy a Chinese copy, but curious about them.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Carter WO Carburetor - Rebuild? New? Who?

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:41 pm

Jerry

FWIW - I occasionally must purchase very special thread taps from China...not because I am cheap but because that is the ONLY source and every crazy obsolete tap/die I buy is listed 20 times over on eBay with a myriad of sellers...all supposedly in Hebron, KY.

the parts take about 4 weeks from China and the shipping cost(s) are usually around $3.50. Now, you tell me, Why does China get shipping rates on packages for the same price as 2 letters sent to Canada? And even if there was a US source for the tap(s), what would a US company have to charge to get it to me? Likely 2-3 times the price from China. The Reds have one sweet deal with Washington. One of many.

good luck with your carb issue, and here is a "bump" for you.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:11 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:41 pm
Jerry

FWIW - I occasionally must purchase very special thread taps from China...not because I am cheap but because that is the ONLY source
I hear you on the tap & die thing. I bought a die for exhaust manifold threads that came from China. Probably priced at 1/10 what a USA die would cost, sadly, if I could even find a USA version.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:30 pm

I have not used a new carb of that exact type from china but when I repair lawnmowers for folks, most of the time if there is carb issues, i just order a "Wang Fuee special" off ebay. I can't buy a float or needle and seat for what a whole carb cost. not to mention the hour in the ultrasonic cleaner and the time spent working on it. I have had a couple that had issues that I was able to fix , had 1 that was flat missing parts. Luckily I was able to use parts from the old 1 to make it work.
1 thing to bear in mind. The threads and bolt heads on most of the carbs I get are METRIC.
fuel line fittings, pay attention to make sure all that will be compatible.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:38 am

Hi Jerry,
I ran a WF Carter on my speedster a very similar carburetor and had the same issue from time to time they have a simple idle circuit that should be easy to deal with but one issue I had was the
accelerator pump is very sensitive and if there is no play in the throttle linkage and the engine is missing the engine shaking will activate the pump and flood the engine making it miss fire and shake and make matters worse
Craig.

Topic author
Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:13 pm

Craig Leach wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:38 am
Hi Jerry,
I ran a WF Carter on my speedster a very similar carburetor and had the same issue from time to time they have a simple idle circuit that should be easy to deal with but one issue I had was the
accelerator pump is very sensitive and if there is no play in the throttle linkage and the engine is missing the engine shaking will activate the pump and flood the engine making it miss fire and shake and make matters worse
Craig.
Thanks Craig!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic