What's best to use to stop rust?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Owicretci
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Wilder

What's best to use to stop rust?

Post by Owicretci » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:48 am

I have a rusty tailgate, but other than that my '88 Ford Bronco is in pretty good shape. Even the radiator supports aren't super bad.

There is a whole lot of surface rust all over underneath, though. I was wondering if I could wire-wheel it off and paint it with something to protect it. Is that worth bothering with? If so, what should I use?

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: What's best to use to stop rust?

Post by Kaiser » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:34 am

After wirewheeling give the bottom a nice coat of boiled linseed oil, it penetrates and creeps into every nook and cranny and really adheres to the steel, than you can cover with under body coating if you want. If you just coat with any kind of underbody coating it might not stop the rust, it may look nice but underneath the rot goes on without showing.
One word of caution : lay out all the shoprags and brushes you used with the linseed oil OUTSIDE, don't throw them in a trashcan, they can self combust and destroy your workshop !
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic