Period correct beverages

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Period correct beverages

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 am

One of the most popular for centuries is hard cider. And it is easy to make!

Take a gallon of apple cider that has been pasteurized, but has no preservatives. Pour out some so the level is down about four inches in the bottle. Add a cup of sugar and mix well. Let sit at room temperature for a day, then sprinkle a packet of Champagne yeast on the top, do not mix, just let the yeast float. Do not cap. Do not stir. After a week you will notice precipitate and maybe some bubbling. After a week try a glass, it should be ready but might need more time depending on the temperature it has been sitting in. Sometimes it takes two weeks.

When you like the taste put it in the refrigerator to slow down the yeast, do not cap or it might burst the container.

Champagne Yeast can give an alcohol content of 14%, this can be really good stuff! And it's easy, no artificial anything, and no preservatives. Pretty much the way pioneers made it, except they had to rely on natural yeast.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

gcomo
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Como
MTFCA Number: 49625

Re: Period correct beverages

Post by gcomo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:28 am

So moonshine would be period correct right?

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:42 am

gcomo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:28 am
So moonshine would be period correct right?
Yes, but.. I think fractional distillation is illegal. Maybe for your own use? But I have heard moonshine can have all kinds of nasty stuff in it, make you blind, or dead... And it is complicated to make, stills can even explode.

Them Yankee boys used to take hard cider and store it outside to keep it from turning to vinegar. Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, so in the morning after a cold night they would have a slushy mixture of alcohol with water ice crystals. They would strain it to remove the ice particles. I have heard you can get 35% alcohol that way! Technically that is fractional crystallization, and it may be illegal too?

But I think it best to avoid moonshine, you just don't know what is in it. With homemade hard cider you know it is all natural!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:13 pm

I've had moonshine. Yeah, if it's made right, it can be smooth, but there's a lot more to whiskey than just 'smooth'. There's a reason distilleries age it in charred oak barrels. 2-3 years (Or more)....Now THAT's whiskey.

Oh, and I've done the hard cider thing too. First time I did it, I put it in the fridge thinking that would stop the fermentation process. Boy, was I mistaken. Made the mistake of putting a lid on it too. Made a heck of a mess.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Long ago when i was a kid in the fall we would wash out our old vinegar barrel and load it in the back of our pick up.There was a old small apple orchard on our 90 acre farm and we would fill the truck box with apples off the ground or trees.At the cider mill the apples were washed,sliced,and pressed into cider and the barrel was filled.The pulp [critter feed] and extra apples payed for the pressing and home we went.The full barrel was to heavy to move so it stayed in back of the truck box and we would syphon it out in pails and my mother would can it.after 3 or 4 weeks what was left in the barrel would get a very sharp taste to it!!! In the winter we would have cider with popcorn that we had grown for a real treat!! :D Old Bud.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Lots of shine being made out there still.
I’ve had some pretty good stuff with peaches or other fruits in it.
Also what’s called “Apple Pie”, take frozen apple juice and render it down some with cinnamon sticks and mix it in the moonshine and yummy !!
Several legal distilleries making also.
I stay away from the hard stuff anymore...

I like me some Angry Orchard hard cider !! :)

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Ruxstel24 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:48 pm
Lots of shine being made out there still . . .
:lol: :lol: :lol: words to live by :lol:
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:40 pm

If you let the hard cider complete fermentation it will clear up. It is now apple wine! Then you add something to kill the yeast and bottle it. If you don't add something to kill off all the yeast a type of yeast will get in that converts alcohol and you will end up with apple vinegar.

Buying pasteurized unpreservativetized apple juice at the orchard can be expensive. I paid $8/gal. this year. Hard cider can be made much less expensively. WalMart sells Great Value frozen apple concentrate with no preservatives for a very reasonable price. Reconstitute it, add about a cup of sugar per gallon, sprinkle the yeast on top. Voila, hard cider for less than $1/quart. Or let it go to wine, same price! My children try to get me to develop a taste and appreciation for fine wine. Why would anyone do that? I like my hard cider! With proper amount of sugar and correct yeast it can easily exceed 12% alcohol, and it is GOOD!

Don't put too much sugar in or the yeast will not start. But basically this is a very easy method of making a period correct beverage that will kick your butt inexpensively. Isn't that Model T folks are about?

Best yeast, in my opinion:
https://www.homebrewing.org/Red-Star-Pa ... be8792d465#

This one should work as well:
https://www.homebrewing.org/Lalvin-Cham ... c55e4d1146

For maximum alcohol content one needs to learn to use a hydrometer, but I find my recipe does well enough.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:08 am

I prefer lemonade myself. Especially with Meyer lemons. Although the Meyer lemons were actually not common during the model T era.
But, that is silly ol' me.

I do like to see people doing things they enjoy. So, enjoy!

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:01 am

How about it stuffed into a violen case?
Attachments
IMG_0207.jpg
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:00 pm

We used to dig up sassafras root and chew on it, interesting flavor and smelled like root beer. We never did figure out how to make it into root beer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic