Vegetable garden?

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Vegetable garden?

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Back in the 60's there were a lot of people who raised vegetable gardens. Many took great pride in their gardens. Maybe it was a result of the Victory Gardens from WWll. But I only know of one guy who has a big garden now.

I used to have a big garden, but I cut back mainly due to not liking dealing with the pesticides needed. We have so many bugs around here. So now I limit it to tomatoes. They only require blocking the cut worms when young and picking off those big green caterpillars when they have grown some. No pesticides needed.

Corn does not require any pesticides either, but when mine comes in local corn is 4 ears/dollar, so why bother?
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Vegetable garden?

Post by tmodeldriver » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:28 am

Only two things that money can't buy and that's true love and home-growed termaters.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am

Here in NE Ohio, we have some great soil for maters and especially sweet corn :mrgreen:
We have had some nice ones here in the past, but haven’t planted a garden in about 5 years.
I have a few pictures on my computer but not my iPhone. 12’ tomato plants were the norm...
It is nice to walk outside and pick your own grown goodies!! Still lots of berries around.
Grandparents next door used to have almost every fruit that was naturally around here. Grapes, Cherry trees, several types of apple trees, pears, peaches, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries....grandma made the best chunky applesauce I ever ate. Then fry a couple slices of bread in an iron skillet with lots of butter and put the applesauce on top with cinnamon...Yum yum !!

Excuses...
1) Two of my neighbors do and regularly give us produce. Unless we can/freeze, that’s enough.
2) The critters and some fungi made for a couple poor harvests.
3) It’s a good bit of work !!

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:26 am

I had a good garden when we first moved where we live 15 years ago. The second year, the deer had wised up. The third year, why did I bother? I have quit and the plot has been retaken by pines. We have had some limited success with tomatoes and peppers in a small area inside our fenced in backyard, but the rest of the property is owned by the deer. I used to do about 3 acres of field corn to shell for the fun of it with a hit and miss engine and then sell for deer corn. Never made enough to cover seed and fertilizer, much less my time. Deer had a field day with that too, but it was more than they could eat, so they left a little bit.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:56 am

Termaters, lettuce, onions, radishes, peas, beans, carrots, chard, beets, cucumbers,
broccoli, peppers .... I think that's it. I keep chickens too. Just pulled the last of the
carrots and beets two days ago for a dinner meal. The chickens get free run of the place,
now that the gardens are bare. I will be mulching maple leaves into the beds and putting
the chicken manure on top for the winter snow and rain to leach in. In the spring I turn
it and cut rows/plant. Vegetable gardens don't pay, but the ambiance of farming is much
like what I get from a Model T, and the freshness of home grown can't be beat.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:03 pm

I love gardening but as I get older it is alot of back breaking work.So I built some raised beds and I can get alot of maters and peppers from that.
I eat some hot peppers,cayenne, for my arthritis and back pain.Helps alot. I grow the little yellow cherry tomatos or maters.
I LOVE the White Beefsteaks but didn't grow any this year.I may have access to the good garden spot I was using a few years ago and If so,there will be a big mater patch in 2020.
Sun Sugar and White Wonder beef steaks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Wonder-B ... Sw1Exb-i6H
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... ak+tomatoe

My aunt and uncle say these are really good,but I have not tried them yet.
German Greens
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-AUNT-RUBYS- ... Sw3NtbJ~EV
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:47 am

End of tomato season here. I have had six plants since last spring, this is all that is left and last night's frost will do it in.

Fried green tomatoes tonight!!!
Attachments
DSC07410.JPG
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:54 pm

Been thinking about those fried green tomatoes all day! The cider has been working for three weeks.

Some good reading material, a glass of really hard hard cider, and I celebrate the end of tomato season.
Attachments
DSC07411.JPG
DSC07412.JPG
DSC07414.JPG

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:19 am

I used to plant vegetable gardens. When we first moved here we didn't even fence them in and no problems with animals and very few bugs ate them. Then in 2003 we had a very big fire which at the time was the largest in California history. It came 100' from our home but we were fortunate. After the fire, all the wild animals came into everyone's yards because that was the only food for them. Unfortunately, they must have trained future generations, because we can't seem to keep them out even with chicken wire cages. So we don't plant vegetables anymore. Besides that, most of the tours are during the summer and we would not be home to tend to the garden.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic