Need help Id'ing this old car trunk.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Need help Id'ing this old car trunk.

Post by tdump » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:21 pm

I also posted this on the Stak but I know there is alot of knowledge on cars here to. I copy and pasted to save typeing.
The project I might use this for is my 26 speedster

I want to use this old trunk on a project but I want to make sure it is nothing highly rare that someone really needs to finish a restore on a late 20's early 30's car.
I got it in Oklahoma back in 2008 and it has been modified a good bit like it was used in the back of a pickup truck for tools.It has some heavy plate welded in it that needs to be removed .It has a latch on each side on the inside that makes it fold out or something but I can't do that until I remove that non stock plate. If it turns out to be something someone really needs I will do something different on the project and do some horse trading or something.But it is really rough .I am just not 1 to wack up something old and scarce if it is needed or wanted more for what it already is.

Here is a couple photos.
Attachments
DSC00158.JPG
DSC00159.JPG
DSC00152.JPG
DSC00154.JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Need help Id'ing this old car trunk.

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:36 am

Good for you Mack C for making the effort! But I sure do not recognize it.

JvanMaanen
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Van Maanen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 15 Touring, 19 roadster, 22 Coupe, 08 SR
MTFCA Number: 373
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 184

Post by JvanMaanen » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Kind of looks like a 20's Star. The touring models had a pretty short, flat top look from a side view.

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Here it is folded out.Needs alot of work.but really a strange and neat item
Attachments
DSC00166.JPG
DSC00167.JPG
DSC00168.JPG

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Wow! Thats really cool. Sorry I cant help but thats too cool.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:02 pm

If it turns out not to be something that is really rare or important,here is what it will be used for.A notched area in the new metal bottom and it will be about right in comparison to the seat.Here it is about 3 or 4 inches higher than I want it. Gas tank will be a bit higher as well.
This is all just a mock up of parts. Spacing and such is not exact.The spare will be on a hinged braket that could ride down if I wanted to fold down the trunk.
I have decided if I can fit them up,I am going fenders from a 25 back T.And lower them a bit .The front axle drop makes the front fender off a bit, may just let it be,but may try to move something around.gotta play with it some.
Attachments
DSC00169.JPG
DSC00170.JPG

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:22 pm

I also commend you for trying to find someone who needs it. It's hard to get these shown to enough people but it is a good try. I have found some re-purposed items are identified after I have installed them on something like you hope to. It doesn't have much value waiting for a better use. I hope you can make it work for you and enjoy it. We can take values to seriously and miss out on the fun.
Best Wishes.
Rich
When did I do that?

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:58 pm

Yea,it is not the money value,I know sometimes some stuff is hard to find. Like fenderskirts for my 47 Pontiac. :(
Chances are it is going to the sandblaster along with fenders and what not and it will be repaired and used for this application.

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BHarper » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Hello Mack and Everyone,

I, too, applaud your efforts to see if anyone is in need of that most interesting trunk and pickup bed.

It reminds me of a similar, but earlier, unit seen at a swap meet by someone who posted pictures on the forum. I saved the pictures but, sadly, not the name of the poster. Sorry.

This particular accessory works as a turtle deck with a door on the end which is hinged at the bottom to allow access to the deck.

625435.jpg

And then, Presto-Changeo, it converts to a small pickup bed.

625436.jpg

You certainly have a scarce item there.
Good luck with your project, Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic