No tests required!

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Roz
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1925 TT, 1927 Speedster, 1931 Model A
MTFCA Number: 31449
MTFCI Number: 24373
Board Member Since: 2012

No tests required!

Post by Roz » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:45 am

My grand daughter is 16 and has been learning to drive since summer. They live in Olive Branch, Mississippi. She has not had drivers ed in school, just her parents coaching her. Last week she went in to take her driving test and found that no test, either written or driving, was required. All the DMV wanted was her dad to sign a form saying he had taught her to drive and that she was ready for her license, and their fees. She walked out with her license, no restrictions.

I don’t know how common this is, but it sure explains some of what I see happening on the road quite often.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: No tests required!

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:57 am

Well! I suppose that he had to take full responsibility for her driving! Even with the test, many teens will do things which are unsafe, especially when accompanied by other teens. I remember 67 years ago driving along Pacific Coast Highway toward Zuma Beach with a group of teens and someone handed me a cigarette which I lit up and simultaneously rear ended the car in front of me! In these days of smart phones distracted driving might be even more prevalent.
Norm

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Michigan has gone the other way since I learned to drive. Teenage drivers face much more restriction including when they can drive, who can be in the car with them and so on. There are written and driving tests and a three year probationary period before they can get a unrestricted license.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:04 pm

I certainly had the self-awareness as a teenager of the way kids feel "bulletproof", ....
that nothing bad will ever happen to THEM. I lost several friends to such stupidity
before I got out of high school. But whatever awareness I had at the time is nothing
like what comes as we get older and see more and more of the results of careless,
complacent, or even reckless behavior, and the mayhem that ensues with a killed or
mangled kid in the family.

I often think of the 4 stages of Tequila:

1. I am rich !
2. I am good looking !
3. I am bulletproof !
4. I am invisible !

Stage 3 seems directly parallel with just being young and thinking bad stuff only happens
to other people.

Washington State has really clamped down on who can get a license, with all sorts of
restrictions on when a new driver can be driving, to restricting what the age of other
people in the car can be. When I was that age, it was 16, with no restrictions like that.
For work-related reasons, a kid could get one earlier than 16, with a parent's request, and
the necessary accredited trained shown to be completed.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:15 pm

Who needs a drivers license? I read in the paper more and more of someone being stopped and arrested for never having gotten a drivers license. They are often in their 20's or even '30's. When I grew up, the thing we lived for was turning 16 so we could get a drivers license. That was back in the 60's though. Times have changed.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:29 am

Had a guy work for me that was 48 yrs old. Never had a licence. Never took the test for fear of failing it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic