OT- Project with interior paint & suppliers by YearOne

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
csnailnrun
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Snellen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912, 1919, 20's FrankenT
Board Member Since: 2017

OT- Project with interior paint & suppliers by YearOne

Post by csnailnrun » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Non Model T... Hopefully this paint question is allowed?

Has anyone used the plastic & vinyl paint supplies offer by year one? I've completed several pieces of plastic to be painted black from original white. I am concerned the paint is poor quality and subject to scratching easily. I'm working on my '72 Road Runner. Here is what I've done...

I gave all my plastic pieces a warm scrub bath with dish washing soap. I let dry overnight and followed the cleaning with the SEM Soap product with another scrum and wash. I let dry overnight again. I used the SEM Plastic & Leather Prep with a lint fee cloth and wiped all plastic pieces clean. I let those dry for an hour or so. I used the SEM Sand Free product to spray on immediately prior to my first coat of SEM Black Coat Paint. I allowed the paint to flash dry as recommended and applied a thorough coat (one light coat of the back and thorough on top surface) as needed to obtain a beautiful finish! I let those pieces dry over night. I woke up the next morning to see my product. The pieces look like OEM black themselves.

PROBLEM! I took my finger nail to a surface piece that'd be covered by the back seat and the black paint began scratching off (scratch pressure was only that of my hand weight). Understandably, I'm very disappointed with that outcome. Maybe that is the designed outcome by SEM??? Is there a recommended product that'll offer a HARD top coat finish that will prevent this poor scratching outcome? Where this will really matter is the front kick panels where the feet will be.

Thanks for sticking with me on this long post and I appreciate any feedback.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Re: OT- Project with interior paint & suppliers by YearOne

Post by Walter Higgins » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:55 pm

One side of the equation is a painted plastic finish will not be as durable as a plastic part molded in color. It is only going to have the durability of a painted finish. The other side of the equation is that SEM is an excellent company. You should call the 800 number on the can and have this discussion with their product application people if you feel the result is subpar.

How long has it been on there now? Overnight is really not long to let something like that dry, especially during this cooler time of the year. It sounds like you had a lot of material put on in one whack and that may be a factor in the equation, but again, I think you'll get to get the best guidance directly from SEM. Good luck!

Topic author
csnailnrun

Post by csnailnrun » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:56 pm

My expectations may be too high but folks have spoke highly of the product. To me, it's not too much to expect for a light contact with a fingernail to scratch off the paint. The paint has now been applied for four days now and still subject to the paint removal by light scratching.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 pm

Try SEM vinyl dye, available from real automotive paint stores. Be sure to also get and use the matching SEM prep spray, it cleans and gives the plastic some "tooth" so that the dye adheres firmly. That is what I used to change the interior color of my 1971 Plymouth GTX from green to black. It has held up extremely well for 20 years so far. :)
Attachments
gtx.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Nice looking car, Mark
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
csnailnrun

Post by csnailnrun » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:26 pm

I spoke with technician Dave at SEM. FANTASTIC HELPER FYI!
Anyhow, the "Sand Free" adhesion promoter is NOT the correct adhesion former :(
Now I'll strip the plastic pieces back down using "Denatured Alcohol". Dave recommended SEM XXX Adhesion Promoter. I knew my expectations weren't unreal... just need the right adhesion product.
After seeing the OEM like finish on the wrong adhesion promoter, I can't wait to see the corrected outcome.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic