VasaTrail
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Piske
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2022

Auto Body

Post by VasaTrail » Mon May 29, 2023 12:03 pm

Hey all,

I am restoring my fathers 1927 Model T. I have done the work to the engine, frame, rear end, etc. The issue I have is the body. I am not an auto body person. I have been calling around trying to get someone to do the body work. Collision shops are not interested and if I go to a place with restoration in their name the price sky rockets. I need the body painted; I am handling the restoration.

I live in Michigan. Does anyone know of someone that is willing to take on this project?

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Auto Body

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:22 am

"Collision Centres" seem to be interested only in "Insurance Work" on late model plasticars. Actual bodywork is being phased out and superseded by Remove and Replace procedures, or simply "totalling" a damaged vehicle.

Modern vehicles are constructed of sheet steel, often highly tempered steel, with a lot of parts being made of various plastics and aluminum. Modern paints and finishes are very different from what was used in years past, and shops today may not be equipped to handle earlier types of finish products. Tool, skills, and procedures that were commonly used a few decades ago are no longer in common use at today's typical "Collision Centre".

Likewise, if you needed a windshield replaced in a 1915 T, I doubt if the "SafeLite" repair person would be equipped to do the job, no matter how willing she/he/they/other might be to do the work.

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:32 pm

Find an antique tractor club in your area. They may know of someone who can paint and do a little body work.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by rickd » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:14 pm

Dale, another possible option is to contact tech schools in your area that have auto body classes going on. Those young guys would get a kick out of working on your car. I have been doing my own body work for around 30 years, feel free to email me some pictures of your project for advice or a second opinions. I'm no expert but happy to help.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:39 pm

Dale,
I emailed you a possible source for body work. In addition I would contact Jeff Humble of the Northern Michigan T's and see if he has any suggestions. <jeffshumble@gmail.com> I also suggest joining the club as you'll be connected with a number of very talented people and have some great social opportunities. The forum is great but nothing beats hands-on assistance.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

sinceextensive
First Name: Victoria
Last Name: Bradshaw

Post by sinceextensive » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:22 am

Remember to get multiple quotes from different auto body shops to compare prices and services. Also, make sure to ask for references and check their reputation to ensure that they have a good track record with classic car restorations.papa's freezeria

dinosbunny
First Name: dino
Last Name: marinelli
MTFCA Number: 35645

Post by dinosbunny » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:11 pm

I had the same problem. I learned to do it myself and it is not that hard and 1/10 the price. Get a paint gun from habor frieght/home depot you can use rustoleum paint, just thin it with acetone a bit and a piece of sheet metal to practice on. Also, you tube videos are great and will get you there. Unless you are looking for a show car you will be happy.
image000001(1).jpg
..The black paint is rustoleum the blue I bought at napa. All painted in my shop/driveway

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic